We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... Missing topics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I've been waiting, and waiting for these ...

Topics I am surprised that no one has started threads for:

- Knut (RIP!)

- Alexandra Wallace (former bikini model now former UCLA "Asian Rant Girl")

- Endgame (new tv series about a chessmaster who solves crimes) (thought Magnus and Lobo would be all over this one)

- Canada's government falls (okay, that one was just today)

Any good ones I'm missing?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
People are always making RIP posts, so besides Knut, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Liz Taylor.

What's this mention of Canada falling?
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Harper government falls in historic Commons showdown

Early Friday afternoon, 156 opposition MPs – all of the Liberals, New Democrats and Bloquistes present in the House of Commons – rose to support a motion of no-confidence.

It was also a motion that declared the government to be in contempt of Parliament for its refusal to share information that opposition members said they needed to properly assess legislation put before them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/poli......1956416/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 23:08, Michael J. Douglas wrote:

People are always making RIP posts, so besides Knut, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Liz Taylor.

Yeah. Zsa Zsa Gabor was in the news just the other day, saying that first Jane Russell went, then Liz Taylor, and that she (Zsa Zsa) would be #3.

She forgot to account for Knut.

The above is not meant to be some snarky smart@ss comment. Knut was truly amazingly famous.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
We Canadians have been enjoying something called a Minority government. The largest winner of seats in the last National election was the Conservative party - but not enough for a majority. This has required them to work arrangements with the other parties for enough votes in the house to pass legislation and the like. This has been going on for around five years now, and I guess the other parties aren't willing to support them anymore and they did not have enough votes to pass their last budget, thus an election is in the offing.
We have numerous parties on the national level; the Conservatives, the Liberals, the New Democrats (short version they are a labor party), the Bloc Quebecois (another short version they are Quebec party that advocates separation from Canada and they whine about everything) and rounding out the pack is the green parry - who are currently without a seat in government.
The Green party and the New Democrats haven't a hope of ever being in charge, but they try. The Liberal party tends to enjoy most time governing the country over the years, with the Conservatives acting like some sort of relief pitcher for them.
Thorndyke's law of politics; Any party enjoying an overwhelming majority eventually winds up feeding off of itself and falling apart, while at the same time alienating their voting base.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That UCLA library is always the source of some controversy!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCLA_Taser_incident

I hadn't heard the Alexandra Wallace story. There's a constant effort at UCLA to get rid of Proposition 209, which outlawed affirmative action at California's public universities. If the UC Powers-That-Be are ever allowed to discriminate on the basis of race again, then undoubtedly there will be a reduced Asian-American population at the UCLA library.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 23:27, balducci wrote:
Harper government falls in historic Commons showdown

Early Friday afternoon, 156 opposition MPs – all of the Liberals, New Democrats and Bloquistes present in the House of Commons – rose to support a motion of no-confidence.

It was also a motion that declared the government to be in contempt of Parliament for its refusal to share information that opposition members said they needed to properly assess legislation put before them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/poli......1956416/

Canada has its own government?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Lobo,
Do yourself a favor and check out that story. Some of the responses have left me crawling on the floor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 23:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:

I hadn't heard the Alexandra Wallace story. There's a constant effort at UCLA to get rid of Proposition 209, which outlawed affirmative action at California's public universities. If the UC Powers-That-Be are ever allowed to discriminate on the basis of race again, then undoubtedly there will be a reduced Asian-American population at the UCLA library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7XAJo3rQn8

Some might say it was just a one time deal and so what ... however, it turns out that her father posted on his facebook page that his daughter was planning a blog's worth of related posts and videos.

http://laist.com/2011/03/17/racism_would......s_so.php

She's since withdrawn from UCLA.

In related news ... UCLA is dropping standards to allow more 'white' students in ... at least, according to the blog below:

http://www.chineseorjapanese.com/univers......a-asian/
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 23:54, abc wrote:

Lobo,
Do yourself a favor and check out that story. Some of the responses have left me crawling on the floor.

You mean as in ROFLMAO or as in disgust?
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Unfortunately I don't know much about how the Canadian government is set up, but it sounds like your parties are getting along about as well as ours. At least, some of yours shook each others hands before the mud started flying. Maybe yours should have a "date night" like ours did. Smile

Re: Alexandra Wallace
I didn't see the video, but I've read excerpts. Terrible things were said, but I think the media should've left it alone. Now, she probably has a career ahead of her. Co-host on Charlie Sheen's upcoming talk show?
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
Fox News Analyst.

But really Lobo, maybe it's something I don't understand about California, how is the African-American population at UCLA 3% across the board??
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Kind of a broad question...

I will say that the overwhelming climate at UCLA is that it would be desirous to have campus demographics that pretty much mirror those of society at large, either nationally, within the state, or within L.A. That is to say, it's not because the faculty, admissions people, UC Regents, or administration want it that way.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Some of the re-mixes and edits of that Wallace racist are really funny, if mean-spirited...

Worth a look-see on the google if your sense of humor is as twisted as mine!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 00:01, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 23:54, abc wrote:

Lobo,

You mean as in ROFLMAO or as in disgust?

While I think what she did might not have been the wisest thing to do, a few of the responses have been hillarious, therefore ROFLMAO.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Talk about an over-reaction! The girl ain't too bright, and shouldn't have made the video, but it wasn't that bad. Stand-up comedians go a lot further. And the girl was trying to be funny, I think.

But for the president of UCLA to post a response is just stunning. I'm not even sure what to say about it. I'm dumbfounded.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Goes to show that racism is not just a white problem. Racism is wrong, and fighting racism with racism is seriously screwed up!

I'm more concerned about the blatant racist and hateful comments made towards her for her comments. I suppose there are those who feel justified in promoting hate, especially when they disquise it as humour.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
As I said, it wasn't that bad. It didn't even fit any traditional definition of racism, in which one race is asserted to be genetically or culturally superior or inferior to others. She didn't say Asians were inferior. She just said they talk on their cell phones in the library. And they probably do.

What she did was perpetuate a racial stereotype, which is not the same thing as racism. Racial stereotyping is something probably every single human being on the planet does on a pretty regular basis. That doesn't make it right, but it does mean all this holier-than-thou condemnation of the girl is a bunch of hot air and hypocrisy.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 14:48, stoneunhinged wrote:

She just said they talk on their cell phones in the library. And they probably do.

There was much more than this. There were also her comments about nice 'American' students who had better manners, her comment about students phoning home to find out if loved ones were still alive post-tsunami, her impression of an 'Asian' student on a phone (OHHHHHHHHHHH CHING CONG TING TONG LING LONG.. OHHHHHHHHHH.), her line about "hordes of Asians UCLA accepts into "our" school", her comments about Asian families visiting their children on weekends, etc.

I won't say that she was racist, I don't know, but her video was clearly extremely insensitive and offensive to the Asian community.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Just to play devil's advocate, perhaps there would be more understanding of the exchange students by other students if they interacted with people outside of their groups.
At my school, the Japanese students sit at the "Japanese table," the Arabic students sit at the "Arabic table," and so on.
Myself and some of my friends smile and wave and they just look down and pretend they didn't see us.
One of my professors says she's seen American students do the same thing in other countries she's taught in. So everybody does it.
I don't know why. Why even be an exchange student if you are only going to interact exclusively with people from your own culture?
Rant concluded.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... Missing topics? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL