We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Missing topics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Unless they have a portion of mainland Asia, then they would not be Asian. I'll have to check my atlas on this one.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks Santa, that's what I thought but I couldn't remember. Pretty sure Philippines is not in Asia.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 18:33, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 16:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
What I think is exaggerated is how insensitive and offensive it is. It's mildly offensive. If I were Asian, I'd laugh.

You have no idea what you would do.

Sure I do. Did you somehow miss the fact that I've lived the larger portion of my life as a racial minority?

Let me tell you something you won't learn in a Waikiki resort: racial discrimimation--of which there is a great deal in Hawaii--is against white people. It is an incontrovertible fact that I experienced more racial discrimination growing up than our president did.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
As far as whether the Philippines is in Asia, I'd say, "Who cares?"

But if you type "Philippines" and "Asia" into Google, you'd quickly find that the Philippines itself thinks it's in Asia. (That is, the people who live there do.)

Here: http://tinyurl.com/5w8wvzu
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Yep, just checked my atlas. Philippines is not in Asia. No offense intended here,Stone.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 18:37, landmark wrote:
I know of at least one person who has never used that word except to refer to that word.

That's exactly what I meant: at the very least we use the word to refer to the word. To say that the utterance has never passed your lips is something that probably .001% of the population can live up to.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 18:51, magicfish wrote:
Yep, just checked my atlas. Philippines is not in Asia. No offense intended here,Stone.

None taken. But I still disagree.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Asia

We can do this all day. Apparently the "experts" disagree.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Most people don't care, Stone, you're right. I think it's important where we come from. It's nothing against you, I just hear people throwing the term Asian around lately as though it was a race of people rather than a continent. I think some believe it is synonymous with oriental or southeast Asian. Which of course it isn't. Russians, Iraqis, Saudis, pakistanis are all Asian.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I understand.

But by any definitions, my wife chose to marry a racial minority. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd make the discaimer before someone made a comment to the effect of "what do YOU know about the feelings of minorities?". Of course, Landmark still made a comment somewhat to that effect.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I once asked a guy from Shanghai how people might imitate English back there. He laughed and said that English speakers sound like ducks. He made a buk buk buk buk sound that was disturbingly accurate.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
"Did you ever notice how all white people talk like this and dance like this?"
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 14:14, stoneunhinged wrote:
Talk about an over-reaction! The girl ain't too bright, and shouldn't have made the video, but it wasn't that bad. Stand-up comedians go a lot further. And the girl was trying to be funny, I think.

But for the president of UCLA to post a response is just stunning. I'm not even sure what to say about it. I'm dumbfounded.

Believe me, you don't know the half of it when it comes to politics and UCLA.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 18:43, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 18:33, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 16:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
What I think is exaggerated is how insensitive and offensive it is. It's mildly offensive. If I were Asian, I'd laugh.

You have no idea what you would do.

Sure I do. Did you somehow miss the fact that I've lived the larger portion of my life as a racial minority?

Let me tell you something you won't learn in a Waikiki resort: racial discrimimation--of which there is a great deal in Hawaii--is against white people. It is an incontrovertible fact that I experienced more racial discrimination growing up than our president did.

Jeff, it's a false equivalence. Asians are not the dominant political, cultural, and economic force in the United States or Europe. Small local pockets of dominance don't translate to the larger society.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 18:52, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 18:37, landmark wrote:
I know of at least one person who has never used that word except to refer to that word.

That's exactly what I meant: at the very least we use the word to refer to the word. To say that the utterance has never passed your lips is something that probably .001% of the population can live up to.

That's the trivial case, and not what you were implying with your defense.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 20:56, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 14:14, stoneunhinged wrote:
Talk about an over-reaction! The girl ain't too bright, and shouldn't have made the video, but it wasn't that bad. Stand-up comedians go a lot further. And the girl was trying to be funny, I think.

But for the president of UCLA to post a response is just stunning. I'm not even sure what to say about it. I'm dumbfounded.

Believe me, you don't know the half of it when it comes to politics and UCLA.

Why wouldn't he post a response given that 40% of UCLA students are Asian and the video has gotten so much attention (11 million hits IIRC?) I thought universities had something to do with education and the public.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
You'd have to ask Stone. Have you seen a public statement by him denouncing the death threats, or the fact that one of his students withdrew from school citing concerns over her safety? That might be something to issue a public comment on, too.

Regarding the "you have no idea" comment, can we infer that if you were an Asian American UCLA student, you might have found the video funny? I assume that if Stone doesn't know what he'd do in such a situation, then neither do you, which leaves open the possibility that you might have found it quite amusing.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
Exactly. You have no idea what you would do is what I wrote. The only possible clue we have--and it's only a clue--was the actual reaction of people in the actual situation. But as always YMMV.

The larger point is that the construction of a statement like, "If I were him, I would feel/do . . ." is only a statement of what you think would happen, not what would happen. And that thought may well be biased by the very bias you're seeking to disprove.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think our own self-awareness and our knowledge of how we've reacted to situations we've been in is far more reliable than the reactions of random people who happen to be of the same race. It's all speculation on all of our parts, of course, but I believe that the Caucasian 'me' is more like a non-Caucasian me would be than a random non-Caucasian non-me.

Or to look at it another way, so much more of my identity is wrapped up in things other than race that I can't believe That I'd be unrecognizable to myself if my racial identity were replaced.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 00:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:

You'd have to ask Stone. Have you seen a public statement by him denouncing the death threats, or the fact that one of his students withdrew from school citing concerns over her safety? That might be something to issue a public comment on, too.

I don't know whether or not the President of UCLA did, but Robert Naples, the associate vice chancellor and dean of students at UCLA, certainly did: "If she’s received a death threat, I find that as deplorable as her original YouTube video. If this is the response of students on campus, we’ve got a lot of work to do."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's surprising that the only response we know of has come from the Vice Chancellor, and amazing that the response is as mild as it is. "AS deplorable"?! There's no comparison between the original video and a death threat. If any students have made death threats to other student, the "work" they have to do should be initiating suspension or expulsion proceedings.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Missing topics? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL