We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Missing topics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Who says that they aren't?

And what I quoted is presumably not all he said last week on the subject. It's just what I found listed first, in a very quick search.

BTW, fwiw, there IS NO 'President' of UCLA ... at least, not according to UCLA's administration chart:

http://www.aim.ucla.edu/CampusProfile/Ad......llor.pdf
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Right, he's the Chancellor.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's apparent to me that the readily available statement regarding the threats is markedly milder than the readily available statement regarding the video, and that's ridiculous.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Landmark said, "Jeff, it's a false equivalence. Asians are not the dominant political, cultural, and economic force in the United States or Europe. Small local pockets of dominance don't translate to the larger society."

You still missed the point that I didn't live in Europe or America growing up. I've said it three or four times, but it seems to jump right past you.

I lived in Taiwan, where not only were Asians the dominant force, but Caucasians were rare. It was not unusual for me and my sister to go downtown and be the only Caucasians in sight the entire time. I'm talking downtown Taipei, a metropolitan area with millions. They use to literally stroke our hair--especially my sister's, since it was long and red--if they were within an arm's shot. My father used to take me to the Sauna a lot, and I used to have to fight off all the men who wanted to tickle my genitals. I'm circumcised, and they just wanted to touch it out of curiosity.

The dominant force in Hawaii is also not Caucasian. You are simply wrong on this point. I grew up a racial minority, and that is a fact. And in Hawaii, I suffered for it. I don't want to go into a personal history, but I suffered for it. You can pretend this isn't so, but it is. Did you ever read about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Haole_Day ? Did you go to high school in Hawaii? And I'm not talking an elite prep school like our President did, but a school in a working class neighborhood like Waipahu? Read the demographics in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waipahu. Whites (today! Not in the 70s, I assure you) make up 4.73 % of the population. When I was in the 9th grade, the school moved its campus to Ewa. You can read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewa_Villages,_Hawaii . Today (not back then!) it is 3.5 percent white.

As an intern in Washington I once went to Dan Inouye's office to get a senate gallery pass. The receptionist asked, "might I ask why you didn't go to your own senator's office?" I said, "Ma'am, Senator Inouye is my senator", at which she flushed and they rolled out the red carpet, so to speak. The senator wasn't there that day, or he surely would have greeted me; as it was, his chief of staff came out and showed me and a friend around and treated us like kings. Why? Because the receptionist had committed a serious faux paus. She had assumed that the white kid standing in front of her couldn't have been from Hawaii.

I tell this story because it gets to the heart of something that most Americans simply aren't aware of: Hawaii is filled with racism, up and down and back and forth, and the dominant culture is not Caucasian, and everyone from Hawaii is fully aware of this--including the people working in senator Inouye's office in Washington.

On a last personal note: here in Germany I do not stick out for having a different skin color, but I am still very much a foreigner. And again, this is not necessarily something you would be aware of as a tourist or serviceman stationed at Rammstein. My daily life involves cross-cultural encounters that could lead to discomfort if I were not able to simply laugh things off. Again, this is not a "pocket" thing: the dominant culture in Germany is German, and decidedly NOT Anglo-Saxon or Asian or Hispanic or French or whatever. I'm aware--every day--of being an outsider. I don't mind all that much, but to say that I don't have a good idea how I might feel if someone were to make fun of a minority to which I belonged, well--again, you're just flat wrong. I know you don't mean it bad, but you're wrong. I suspect you just are rhetorically committed and don't want to back down. But you're still wrong.

Now, regarding rhetorical commitment: I admit that my point about the N-word was stretched (though I still think most Americans publicly decry thoughts and behavior they are comfortable with in private), I'll back down and admit it was disingenuous of me to imply that most Americans are hypocritical because they use the word to refer to the word. I was wrong.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The video of the UCLA chancellor to which I was referring is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6feGp0GQVJ8

(Just for a slightly humorous comparison, watch the section of this video beginning at precisely at 7:26: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_m0uhToV94 )

Again, I'm not really sure what to say about it, and as Lobo pointed out, I haven't got the slightest idea about UCLA politics. But to single out the girl was a strange step, and surely couldn't have helped to reduce hostile feelings toward her.

Let me reiterate that her comments were ill-advised, and given the reaction, somehow inflammatory within the context of modern university life. She's no Don Rickles; but then, Rickles probably wouldn't be well advised to attend UCLA.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
I've apologized to Jeff on letting this get too personal. So, I'm bowing out of this discussion.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I think you should, landmark, your facts are a tad askew. First off your wrong about the demographic stats at UCLA . Secondly, of course Asians aren't the dominant economic or political force in north America or Europe. North Americans and Europeans are. Asiains are the dominant political and economic force in Asia.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They're the dominant academic force at UCLA, and more power to 'em. It's a meritocracy.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Stone, if you lived in the PC of A ERRRRRR the US of A now, you'd know that only white people can be racists..
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lobo , when you say "they" do you mean students born in Asia?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I mean Asian-Americans, whether born in the USA or elsewhere.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Now does this include, Russians, Sri lankans, east Indians, pakistanis, tamils, etc.? Just curious.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Stone, one example was students who were allowed to make up law school finals if they chose to participate in a political rally "demanding" that the powers-that-be at UCLA violate state law by using race as a selection criterion to balance the student population's racial makeup.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 11:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
They're the dominant academic force at UCLA, and more power to 'em. It's a meritocracy.


Yea but what about their basketball team?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 12:20, magicfish wrote:
Now does this include, Russians, Sri lankans, east Indians, pakistanis, tamils, etc.? Just curious.


I'm not sure, as the published numbers group "Asian" as one category, and I don't know if it ever gets further subdivided. It's pretty easy to tell, walking on camp, that the racial makeup is disproportionate as compared to the society at large, but I wouldn't trust my personal observations to make the distinctions that fine. It would be sort of like going to a bunch of NHL games; you'd k ow that white people were disproportionately represented, but you wouldn't know about Finns (if they didn't have names on their jerseys, anyway).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 12:23, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 11:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
They're the dominant academic force at UCLA, and more power to 'em. It's a meritocracy.


Yea but what about their basketball team?


No Asians/Asian-Americans, I believe, though one of their superstars has the last name Lee.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6589 Posts

Profile of magicfish
So they just sort of lump them all together and call them Asians. Hmmmmm. Seems a tad offensive to me.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They may have some further subcategories...I'm not sure how they break it all down. If so, they also combine them for some references.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Missing topics? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL