The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What to say when people leave? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
478 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hello,

What will you say when people leave just in the middle of your trick?
Just let them leave or do something?

Thanks for your opinions.
YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That's a good question. Not only should you figure out what to ask them but you should also be asking yourself why they are leaving.
There might be something you can do differently.

A lot of the busking dvds have answers to your questions:
Gazzo, Cellini, Kozmo

Do you own any of those?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Specifics matter.

Are people walking away from the periphery, or from the edge? Are they walking away from you while you're speaking to them (I hope not!)? Are these "walkers" spectators you have directly engaged- ie: said "hi" to, learned their names (which is NOT optional, btw) or merely people looking at you while you do magic around them?

Have you actually given these people any reason, besides your mere presence (and hand motions) to take time out of their day to stay and A. watch someone do things that are out of the ordinary (people don't really like that, regardless of what they might say...) , and B. potentially outside their comfort zone, and C. might cost them money...

If you can't answer these questions, then you might have a couple of things worth contemplating.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Goodbye
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
If I think their leaving is noticeable by others, I may walk to the other side of the "stage" to misdirect from the fact that people are leaving, as I generally don't like to call attention to anyone leaving.

But really ... your question is too vague for a meaningful answer. There could be a thousand different reasons they are leaving, multiplied by a thousand different moments in your show they are leaving, multiplied by a thousand different things you could/should/should-not say to them. Unless you have something extemporaneous that fits the moment, I would just keep moving along without saying anything.

What is your goal? To get them to stay? My opinion has always been that if they don't have enough interest to watch what I'm doing, then they won't have enough interest to tip me at the end so I am better off letting them leave.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1415 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Cellini has the best lines. My personal favorite is "Hey, where are you going? I didn't leave when you got here." I won't give you anymore of his lines, as they are on the DVD's that Kozmo put out. He has many other lines for various different situations. I highly recommend that you buy them, they are hands down the best set of DVD's I have ever owned.

You can get them here...
http://www.kozmomagic.com/
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I heard a line "hes/shes going to the ATM machine to get money to tip me" But I'm with Joe-Joe on this one.Let them go because they weren't a good audience to begin with.

Don
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 01:09, DonDriver wrote:
I heard a line "hes/shes going to the ATM machine to get money to tip me" But I'm with Joe-Joe on this one.Let them go because they weren't a good audience to begin with.

Don
either that or (maybe) he's not an experienced busker, which was the point of my post.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
478 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
First, Thanks for all the advices above.

Frank,
Actually I did ask myself why they leave, I think my problem might be the choice of the routines.
I did "The thing by Bill Abbott" as my first trick and they are attracted to see my show, they ask me to do it again, but I walk into my second effect "Poker Chip Surprise by Joe Porper", maybe I didn't handle the tempo well so they feel it's not as good as "The Thing", so they leave.
I might need to adjust my sequence of my routine, and the tempo of doing them.
I'll check Gazzo, Cellini and Kozmo'DVD.
Thanks.

gaddy,
Sadly they are not leave from the periphery, they leave just in front of me, cause they are the first audience that I stopped.
Luckily the others don't leave with them, but I'm thinking what to say if they leave.
I think it's very important because you maybe lose other audience if you don't control the atmosphere well.

Joe Joe,
Thanks for your opinion, I think you are right.
I'll change my attitude that if they wanna leave, just let them go cause they are not interested in what I'm doing, all I have to do is try to keep others and make them happy.

Aaron,
Thanks, I'll go check out Cellini's DVD.

DonDriver,
I like the ATM line. It's funny and hint the tip.
Good!

All advices are still welcome!
YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
Thanks for your opinion, I think you are right.
I'll change my attitude that if they wanna leave, just let them go cause they are not interested in what I'm doing, all I have to do is try to keep others and make them happy.

Exactly! If you have 4 people standing in front of you that won't tip, best to get rid of them so you can make room for 4 people that will!

-JoeJoe
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"Exactly! If you have 4 people standing in front of you that won't tip, best to get rid of them so you can make room for 4 people that will!"

JoeJoe, I like that thought!
The presentation makes the magic.
RPAYNE40S
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of RPAYNE40S
I like the ATM line.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I've found an interesting way to deal with this situation this summer, thought I would share.

Usually, when people leave it is during the "build" ... not during the actual "show" ... and they usually do so at the "end" of a trick. This of course is a critical time, as if someone has not committed to staying and they see someone else leave they might make the decision to leave as well.

So as I finish the trick and I notice someone starting to leave, I immediately focus my attention on someone else and say "you wanna see a trick too? I got one you'll like" ... a clever line, because now it doesn't matter that they see someone leaving - I reframed it to suggest I am done with them and I expect them to leave.

Has been working very well for me. Smile

-JoeJoe
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I am not a street worker or busker, but I do work in restaurants and in any case, I use this one with the waitstaff if the opportunity presents itself: "Hey when you come back, I would like an alligator sandwich please, make it snappy!"

It always gets me big laughs (I would not use it in a Cajun-style restaurant where alligator is actually served), and it would also work on the streets in the right situation.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 00:11, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
Cellini has the best lines. My personal favorite is "Hey, where are you going? I didn't leave when you got here." I won't give you anymore of his lines, as they are on the DVD's that Kozmo put out. He has many other lines for various different situations. I highly recommend that you buy them, they are hands down the best set of DVD's I have ever owned.

You can get them here...
http://www.kozmomagic.com/

What a great question this thread addresses, one that I have pondered myself. I really like and have used the line Aaron mentions above, and at times it caused the people to stay rather than leave.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Generally, I've noticed that the ones that leave are on the periphery of the show; rarely do I have any leave from the middle/front. I rarely address them at all, actually- it breaks the rythm of attention/patter and my time is better spent entertaining those who ARE paying attention.

The ones that leave aren't likely to have tipped anyway, so why bother? IMHO.

Now I *did* have one leave that had to throw in a "you're boring". I ignored it and moved right on, because these precious pearls of wisdom dropped from the mouth of an obnoxious little twit who hadn't even hit puberty yet. I wish him and his Xbox well.

I don't pander to the "Short Attention Span Theatre" crowd.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1097 Posts

Profile of imgic
YuYen,

Any updates? Any changes you've made that's made any difference?

Also, to throw my 2 cents in...how long is your show? At what point are they walking out? I've stopped to watch shows that have been painfully long...at certain point people leave: they're going to dinner, meeting friends, or just tired of standing that long. I like short shows: engage, entertain, hat...then move on.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Pasquale
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Pasquale
"Don't leave.....I get better"......
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
"Hey if you're going for pizza...I'll take 2 slices!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What to say when people leave? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL