The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q&A for one spectator (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Docc's personal touch is good for a one on one Q&A with no one else in the room.

I haven't yet tried it, but Docc also has "Docc's office test" in his $1,000 secret seance book. He claims that the move is all that you need to read minds and I suspect he is right.

I've successfully used Acidus Globus several times, although it is not a regular part of my performance.

Post-Justify has some peeks that will work just as well as A.G.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I always thought it would be cool to have a "devil device" from Practical mental magic. I don't think it's necessary at all of course, but it has such a neat Robert A. Nelson "ultra modern" feel to it that I think it would be fun.

PMM also has "modernized readings" (version 2). Annemann praises this VERY highly. Stuart Cumberland has, I think, a nice frame for this and an alternate handling without any fire in one of his Annemann 666 ebooks.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2187 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Switchcraft...

or if you have Bob Cassidy's work, I've adapted his famous two billet routine for a Q&A with just one spectator... guess how many questions they get to ask?

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I just learned one more, very nice.
It's from the "Golden Dragon" by Docc Hilford, that was recently discussed on another thread here.
The Tempest
I'll be trying this soon.

LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
John Riggs has a nice one on his Gods with feet of clay DVD. The marvelous mucking peek. Very clever idea.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 22:35, mindpunisher wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 17:47, Theodore Fraser wrote:
Question for experts:

I have NEVER done a Q&A so I want some help on this matter. But my thoughts are when you do a personal Q&A your standards don't need to be as high effect wise. For example I might do an effect where I guess someones birth month using a s***i; whereas normally I never would because that action isn't justified (why don't I just tell them their birth month?).

I think that if you have a person already in your 1vs1 Q&A, you are much "freer", agree or disagree?

Can I just say I am very happpy to be over-ruled on this; I honestly don't know much about this subject, I know very little about Q&A and so if I am totally wrong on this please feel free to say so. I would be very happy to learn about close-up Q&A if someone wants to PM me. Just asking Smile

Theo
xx

Forget the mentalism effects and learn how to read the tarot. #Perfect one-to-oe Q&A. Stunning..!

Actually, I quite agree.

While we're on the subject, I constantly hear about using an oracle and learning a system. Now I've been using Tarot as an oracle for a long time but I've never used or purchased "a system". Can someone please enlighten me - what is a system and what does it do in relation to oracles like Tarot?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18594 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think its just another phrase really derek...means pretty much the same to me...

oracle just sounds better!

I suppose a system sounds more psychological, and oracle sounds more mystical?
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2567 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Tarot is a system. As is palmistry / graphology etc. The point being you are actually doing 'something', instead of just 'cold reading', which isn't usually very anything apart from adding some fluff to an effect (for most people anyway).

The usual one is 'I wanna learn about cold reading' and then everyone says 'learn a system like palmistry or tarot'.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 18:20, IAIN wrote:
I think its just another phrase really derek...means pretty much the same to me...

oracle just sounds better!

I suppose a system sounds more psychological, and oracle sounds more mystical?

the oracle is the following

or·a·cle
   /ˈɔrəkəl, ˈɒr-/ Show Spelled[awr-uh-kuhl, or-] Show IPA
–noun
(especially in ancient Greece) an utterance, often ambiguous or obscure, given by a priest or priestess at a shrine as the response of a god to an inquiry.
the agency or medium giving such responses.
a shrine or place at which such responses were given: the oracle of Apollo at Delphi.
a person who delivers authoritative, wise, or highly regarded and influential pronouncements.
a divine communication or revelation.
any person or thing serving as an agency of divine communication.
any utterance made or received as authoritative, extremely wise, or infallible.

A system is

3 [count] : a way of managing, controlling, organizing, or doing something that follows a set of rules or a plan

An Oracle is a system for divine communication or revelation.

But even cold reading is more effective if you learn a system such the ones taught by Richard Webster for example.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
No, Tarot is an Oracle who have been systematized... Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Or a system that has been oraclized...
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
My head hurts..
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 19:20, mindpunisher wrote:
My head hurts..

That would mean your inner Oracle has been traumatized.

:eek:
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
Docc Hilford's Richey Technique is great for one person.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-27 19:33, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 19:20, mindpunisher wrote:
My head hurts..

That would mean your inner Oracle has been traumatized.

:eek:

Or, even more probable, your outer Oracle has gotten a traumatized system.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 22:24, JohnWells wrote:
Well, you could do that. But "there's not trick to it." I agree, but if he needs a toy, why not the Annemann close up reading thing with the gaffed e******e?

But that's the whole point when someone has a question they don't want a trick they want the answer. NOTHING BEATS a good reading system absolutely nothing more powerful. The "trick" for the amusement of a magician...but the sitter wants the answer. Stop being a performer and start looking after the sitter.

Seriously once you get it you will never want to a "trick" in this situation again..
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-28 18:24, mindpunisher wrote:
Quote:
Well, you could do that. But "there's not trick to it." I agree, but if he needs a toy, why not the Annemann close up reading thing with the gaffed e******e?

But that's the whole point when someone has a question they don't want a trick they want the answer.

Seriously once you get it you will never want to a "trick" in this situation again..

Speaking of which, Brian has given some good hints on what he has learned to do (and more than once) but, luckily for him, most people have always missed that. Smile
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
J. Prager, - it’s a well known and often quoted premise that in the context of a Q&A act the participants or spectators aren’t really interested in the way we get the question – they want to hear an answer. Jerome discusses this aspect in depth in his brilliant ‘Guerilla Q&A’. And because of the fact that the main target (from the participants point of view) is the answer, the technique of getting the question is not the key point for Q&A routines. Whether you use a billet switch and/or any kind of peek is pretty irrelevant.

Obviously there are several ’oracles’ or ’systems’ to create ’answers’. But reading several of the replies in this thread I have the impression that one major aspect has been overlooked:
Assuming an appropriate setting of your Q&A performance (!), your participant will NOT ask a question about her birth day ... or the name of her cuddly pet! You could identify a corresponding information beforehand as a matter of fact – but why on earth should a sitter ask a question like this?

I mentioned an ’appropriate setting’; what I mean with this term is that usually my sitters don’t ask questions of which the answer is already known! If YOU personally would already know the answer to a question: why should you ask someone - except of trying to 'test' him; but that's exact the setting you should prevent beforehand.

So begin to create an appropriate setting: your participant should ask a question without already knowing the answer. This consideration isn’t just an ’academical’ one. It has a heavy effect upon your options to answer. The range of possible directions in which you can lead your answer increases massively.

And a further aspect: giving an answer that is already known means, that the answer has no importance/relevance for the one who asked! The answer has no relevance just because it is already known!
Compare it to the situation where the questioner don't know the answer!? Not only that there is less risk of being 'wrong' in my reply - more than this the questioner likes to know the answer for real. The answer if of personal interest - it has importance, relevance - it has a personal meaning!

From my point of view the mentioned ’oracles’ or ’systems’ are of interest only if you established the basis for their usage. If you don’t, your so-called ’Q&A-act’ will be a (mental-)magic trick and that’s it.

Think about Tony’s reply! As brief as it is, it contains the whole truth:

Quote:
On 2011-03-26 21:54, Tony Razzano wrote:
Why not just have her ask her question and you answer it? No need to do an effect.

Best
Th.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 18:24, mindpunisher wrote:
Quote:

But that's the whole point when someone has a question they don't want a trick they want the answer. NOTHING BEATS a good reading system absolutely nothing more powerful. The "trick" for the amusement of a magician...but the sitter wants the answer. Stop being a performer and start looking after the sitter.

Indeed. My post was very tongue-in-cheek.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I agree and I also think there is nothing wrong with some trickery now and again.
Context was mentioned, and there are contexts wherein a mind reading routine involving answering a question is just what is appropriate.

Of course if you want a dramatic presentation of answering a question you can't go better than "invisible tarot," (and presumably invisible gemstones, but I don't have that one) and if you want help being able to answer the questions you can't go better than "Invisible readings." For the less advanced among us (like me) I like to have a pendulum on hand with my invisible readings, that way if I slip up or get stuck in the "shuffling" process I can use my pendulum to get what I need.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q&A for one spectator (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL