The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q&A for one spectator (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 17:47, Theodore Fraser wrote:
Question for experts:

I have NEVER done a Q&A so I want some help on this matter. But my thoughts are when you do a personal Q&A your standards don't need to be as high effect wise. For example I might do an effect where I guess someones birth month using a s***i; whereas normally I never would because that action isn't justified (why don't I just tell them their birth month?).

I think that if you have a person already in your 1vs1 Q&A, you are much "freer", agree or disagree?

Can I just say I am very happpy to be over-ruled on this; I honestly don't know much about this subject, I know very little about Q&A and so if I am totally wrong on this please feel free to say so. I would be very happy to learn about close-up Q&A if someone wants to PM me. Just asking Smile

Theo
xx

My two and a half cents worth:

1. 1-1 Q&A Cold reading), in my opinion needs to be wrapped up in something. For example, After reading Dewey, Earle, and, Cassidy's most excellent work on the subject of cold reading, I wanted to clothe the process with something that might have a more "realistic" and meaningful impact.

I came accross numerology. Stuart Cumberland produced a rather well put together DVD on numberoloy. That, along with a book on numerology written by Richard Webster, provded me with a rather excellent foundation to do cold reading, as well as a pre-built framework from which to work from. Personally I think it adds a bit more credability if you can wrap up this talent, and, I believe that it is a talent, make this more personal to the person that you're working for.

2. For general Q&A that doesn't require b***t s*****, or a 1-***d,( I surely do love this James Bond ** code...) I would highly recommend Richard Osterlind's "The Final Answer". It's clean, simple and gives me pleanty of scope to do some rather nifty cold readings.

It's a skill. It takes time to learn.

I pity the performer who treats this portion of his/her act lightly.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Reuben,
I don't necessarily equate Q&A with cold reading. As a matter of fact, I don't cold read at all. If you really need to wrap your Q&A around something, look at her palm.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
psychicavel
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of psychicavel
Just ask with a pendulum
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2829 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
C.L. Boarde's One-On-One Mentalism should provide you with a variety of options. Plus it is a great read. Some of his essays are priceless.

I was just listening to Stuart Cumberlands UPR which can also, if memory serves me (I haven't gotten that far yet) be used for a one person Q & A. Though I think defining how YOU mean a "one person Q & A" would be helpful Jose.

Stuart also mentions George Anderson's It Must Be Mindreading in this context. Which reminds me that I adapted what he referenced in something akin to what you might be looking for in an effect called "Free Willy" that is in my ebook Mind Index. "7 Deadly Sins" from the same book could also be used in a similar manner.

Finally, I agree with the above posters, again depending on how you are defining your goal Jose, that any good reading system should meet your needs. And we've had quite a few released lately. Julian "Bev" Moores Cartomancy comes to mind as does Iain's AEIOU (Vowel) though I haven't had the time to really familiarize myself with either yet.
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Doc Hilford personal touch is a very clever and devilish method for a one person q.a or also for a drawing dup .
I use it often is simple but poweerful
and leaves no tracks .
no impression device ,totally improptu
a gem
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Crikey this is an old thread!
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Who's Crikey?
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Shirley Bev is using the work 'crikey' as an exclamation, rather than as a name.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
It is indeed an old thread but since it is here it brings something to mind for me. This applies to readings rather than a performance. When I first started in this unholy business 25 years ago I had no idea what I was doing. My readings were more like a magic show than a spiritual meeting of minds.
And yes. I needed to know what was on the sitter's mind so I foolishly used the centre tear which is exactly the sort of thing you should never do in a reading. But I was a beginner and had to start somewhere.

But let me tell you something. After about 18 months of this nonsense a very odd thing would happen. I would read the torn piece in the usual way and find that in roughly 80% of the cases I KNEW what they were going to write. I used to curse silently and say to myself, "what the hell did I go through all that palaver for? I KNEW they were going to write that anyway!!" So I gave it up.

So how did I know? Well, after you do this kind of work for a very long time you get a gut feeling as to what the problem is. Call it "intuition" or "psychic" or in fact anything you want. The bottom line is that you know what the problem is without a word being said. Of course you should read the person's palm first before honing in on the question. If you know what you are doing the palm reading will tell you what is on the person's mind without them saying a word. The lines on the hand and your gut instinct will tell you 80% of the time why they are really there to see you.

For the other 20% I use the I Ching divination system in a certain subtle way to get a handle on this. It would take me too much space to describe how this works. It almost is akin to Tony Razzano's idea of coming out and asking them directly what the question is. However, it is not quite so direct or blatant as that and in a minority of cases they will not ask the question out loud but I have ways around that too which would take me too much space to describe.

If you are doing a performance or a show then use as much trickery as you like. But it should be kept well out of a reading. Using billets, centre tears and pre-reading research on the internet and other places is the mark of an amateur and should be completely eschewed. Besides it plain isn't necessary if you know what you are doing.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I am very interested in hearing more about your use of the I ching. Have you considered writing it up?
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 16:42, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Shirley Bev is using the work 'crikey' as an exclamation, rather than as a name.

You think?!

BTW, who's Shirley?
Paul Fitzgerald
View Profile
Regular user
Panama City, Panama
125 Posts

Profile of Paul Fitzgerald
My recommendation would be Annemanns original "A Question and an Answer".
Cheers,
Paul.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 01:10, seadog93 wrote:
I always thought it would be cool to have a "devil device" from Practical mental magic. I don't think it's necessary at all of course, but it has such a neat Robert A. Nelson "ultra modern" feel to it that I think it would be fun.

PMM also has "modernized readings" (version 2). Annemann praises this VERY highly. Stuart Cumberland has, I think, a nice frame for this and an alternate handling without any fire in one of his Annemann 666 ebooks.

An interesting thread that deserves reviving. Docc Hilford's Boudoir Q&A would work well for one-on-one. Also, the "Devil Device" has been beautifully recreated by Richard Osterlind and available on his website.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1024 Posts

Profile of kannon
Ask for question ...
Throw Coins/Read Palm/lay out cards/
Give Answer

or

Don't ask for question, client only thinks it.
Ele*****l Reading for answer

or if you need to mentalise it up

Day in your Life - Annemann

or

Boudoir as previously stated

or

The Dave Moses / Iain Dunford ... CT thing Smile
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I forgot Millard Longman's Acidus Globus. Perhaps the best of all.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2073 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 15:12, Andre Hagen wrote:
I forgot Millard Longman's Acidus Globus. Perhaps the best of all.

Agreed. Perhaps the best p**k in mentalism, period. A tremendously underrated technique.
Chris Cheong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
100 Posts

Profile of Chris Cheong
Hey! Smile There's no need to make it so complicating.

Keep it simple - focus on your presentation and apply a simple 'one ahead'. Always focus on the setting, plot and outcome of the entire presentation.
Regards,
Chris
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 21:50, Chris Cheong wrote:

Keep it simple - focus on your presentation and apply a simple 'one ahead'. Always focus on the setting, plot and outcome of the entire presentation.

Chris,

This is excellent advice for Q&A group presentation but I think he is doing it for only one spectator as I read it, and one-ahead would not apply.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:

or

The Dave Moses / Iain Dunford ... CT thing Smile

Agreed. An interesting way to allow the readings to flow smoothly.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 22:32, Andre Hagen wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 21:50, Chris Cheong wrote:

Chris,

This is excellent advice for Q&A group presentation but I think he is doing it for only one spectator as I read it, and one-ahead would not apply.

Why not? There are many one-on-one billet effects that use multiple billets and that very method. Annemann wrote up a few (A Day in the Life was referred to earlier), and Bert Reese built a reputation with that approach.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q&A for one spectator (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL