The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Removing and Re-finishing a Playing Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
I want to make my own gaffed cards. Need help how to remove the finish and after I make the alterations, put a new finish back on. Thanks
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can use 0000 steel wool, sand lightly on the pips. You don't need to put any further finish on the cards. Are you using the dry transfers available? How do you plan to put the pips on?

Unless you have really unique gaff cards in mind, you can get the gaffed card deck tht Magic Methods produces. It is cheaper and good quality cards.

If you have several thousand dollars to invest, you can look at Lybrary. com as they provide everything you need to make your gaff cards including the card stock paper.

Your question is so general, I cannot give you any further advice.

Saying that, you can also split cards and cut cards in half and diagonally to produce the cards you want.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Hi and thanks. I want to print pictures on blank faced jumbo cards and then put the finish back on to protect the image. Again thanks.
Book and DVD
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
Check out the DVD - Flexible Monte and Beyond by Mark Allen

Most of the DVD is about using an Ink Jet printer to print on playing cards. He also talks about finishing the cards when you are finished printing.

Lots of good information about making your own printed gaffs
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I really don't think you can get a giant playing card through a printer, board is to thick and stiff even for a straight through printer. It might be best to just print your image on the transparent lables, they come in large sizes and then apply to the card.

As far as a coating, you can try artist fixative by Krylon paint company. Don't put to much on or the cards will stick together. You could also buy a cheap laminating machine at the office supply store and laminate them.

As a matter of fact, you can just make the whole card on card stock and laminate them. I have made large cards this way on my computer and it works very well.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Wmhegbli,
Thanks for the information. It helps. I will look for the transparent lables. I will run a test to see if my ink jet will run a jumbo card thru it.

To Randy: I purchased the Flexible Monte DVD that you recommended.

I try to make my own props which is often an abject failure. Thanks again.
Book and DVD
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can make your own pips with just about any program on you computer. The pips are usually in 'insert' menu, then 'symbol' if you search the types of symbol, like Times Roman font, you will see the 4 card pips, hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades. Insert them into your image program. They you can draw the pip larger and change the color from black to red for diamonds and hearts.

You may also have a standard font that is very close to the stretched narrow numbers. I have designed cards in Microsoft Publisher, but any publishing program or even a word processor will be able to create a playing card.

For court cards, just scan the image at a high resolution and import to your project. Draw the corner down to increase the size to fit your page size.

It is not hard just time consuming the 1st few time you do it.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Lefty,
The Krylon Fixative Bill mentioned works well. I have been using it for a few years.The Mark Allen DVD is where I learned to print on the cards. I use Acetone to remove the finish on blank faced cards. I have also used Acetone to remove the pips off of cards, but pretty much print on blanks. If you use the Acetone, make sure you really let the cards dry before you print on them.
Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Hi Jack,
I refuse to go with the pun!--Oops, I did. My last name is Dare and I got a lot of jibes as well. Thanks for all the information. I will get some acetone and get to work. Am awaiting the Flexible Monte DVD, dourtesy of Loomis Magic. Dennis has been a friend for sevearl years now and provides great service. Again, thanks to all.
Book and DVD
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Be careful with the acetone if you ever plan to print on the back of a card. I've been making gaff cards for years and last week I was preparing red backed cards to print some pips on the back. I normally use blank cards so preparing a backed card was new to me. I was using acetone and cotton balls. I put too much acetone on the cotton ball and actually used too much pressure when wiping the finish off. with just one wipe I not only took off the finish but also took the red off the card.
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Forgot to mention magicbob from magicnook.com used to offer a free ebook on making gaff cards. I just went out there and did see it but I am sure he would hook you up if you emailed him. magicbob116@yahoo.com
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Just for the record:
Versatile Monte and Beyond is the title of this DVD.
In case someone else is trying to find the DVD.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Removing and Re-finishing a Playing Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL