The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Who let the dogs out? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Imagine you are about to perform. You just notice the client's small cute puppy quietly arrives in the room traveling to the client's son in the audience. What would you do?:

1) Continue?
2) Advise the client to first put the dog away?
3) Don't know, it depends on the situation.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins

Does it cause a disturbance? If so, I'd make mention of the puppy, something like "What a cute puppy. What's his name?" and then steer the conversation to "CupCake, my magical bunny assistant is still a baby, too, and she's so shy around dogs that she may not appear for us with him here."

I once had a (big, big) dog get out of the room he was closed in and came out at a full run heading for me (holding the rabbit). Good thing Dad was quick!

If you do find this to be a recurring problem, then you might want to put something in your performance agreement, or at least mention it on the phone and when you arrive.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
If i am aware of any animals, i always 'suggest' that any animals be put away, because of my bunny. Even if I didn't have a bunny, I have a clause in my birthday party letter which states that any distractions (toys, pets, etc) should be placed in another room.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree with Mike. Nicely said. I think if you mention it in your conversation with them, and it written agreement, that should certainly help you. I also like how you worded and handled the situation should it actually occur during the performance. keep in character, be pleasant and suggest that your rabbit might be frieghtened.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I'd say, "Wow is he yours, isn't he lovely" I bend down make a little fuss of the dog, tell the kids I've got a dog at home, and say to the puppy, "I think the noise in hear may scare you, it's best if you go into another room untill after the party" This will tell the booker it's a good idea to remove it.

1, Puppys gone end of distraction.
2, I've achieved it without causing a fuss
3, I look like a really nice animal loving guy,
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I've had that happen before, last year. The dog was making a fuss sniffing around my rabbit box where the bunny was loaded. I was not going to mention a rabbit because that was a surprise, besides the dog was sniffing around the empty box.

I had to ask a parent to remove the dog. Since then I always ask if clients have a dog & request the they are keep away from the party area. It has not happened since.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Clive's response is excellent. You get rid of the dog, while still appearing to be a nice guy.

All distractions that may recur should be dealt with promptly. Only very rarely will they go away on their own.

Either adults are incredibly stupid or they take some kind of perverse curiosity in seeing how the magician will deal with the situation. It is exceptionally rare for an adult to watch an awkward situation develop and do something to stop it, like the dog running into the room, or a toddler pulling your table over.

The worst distraction is the granny who has impeccable timing. She will burst into the room where you are performing just as you are getting to the climax of your best trick with, "Happy birthday Johnny, come and give granny a kiss and open the lovely present granny has brought you."

I can give you my thoughts on dealing with this but I would only get banned from the Café.<smile>
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like Emazdad's answer also. It's like killing two birds with one stone.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<<<<The worst distraction is the granny who has impeccable timing. She will burst into the room where you are performing just as you are getting to the climax of your best trick with, "Happy birthday Johnny, come and give granny a kiss and open the lovely present granny has brought you." >>>>>>>>>.

Hear Hear, I've had it happen a couple of times, they don't think do they. it's a granny thing. it's not always that bad I've had granny's bring me over cups of tea, "Do you take sugar dear?" and put ot on my magic table during a show. I just say thank you and put it behind me till the end. Then I drink it cold so I don't appear ungratful.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've been PAID in the middle of the show before!
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
<<I just say thank you and put it behind me till the end. Then I drink it cold so I don't appear ungratful.>>

In such situations, plants that live in the performing room of my shows have received a surprised cup of cold tea. Smile
Kool Kat
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
25 Posts

Profile of Kool Kat
Quote:
I've been PAID in the middle of the show before!

Hee-hee-hee! They must have thought you were so good, they couldn't wait to show their appreciation by paying you!

We've occasionally (not often) had a child come up at the end of a school show and formally thank us and present us with a cheque. It's slightly embarassing, because it seems like you are being given an award or a gift, or something, instead of just your payment that you've earned. (We usually collect our pay at the office.)

Cheers,
Kath Worsfold
NZ Smile
Bill & Kath Worsfold
Kiwi Entertainers
http://www.billkath.co.nz
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I usually ask to keep the dog away during the show because they can cause a lot of disruption especially if it's a very excitable dog surronded by just as excitable kids. They can however be quite funny if they suddenly appear from nowhere so I sometimes play up to it a bit (my goodness that's a very hairy little boy) before I despatch them kindly and quickly.
I didn't however manage to keep my cool quite so well when I was doing a show in a marquee and a small dog appeared from nowhere and started peeing on one of my more expensive props. The dog was behind the table so i thought I'd just push him a away with the roof of my shoe. In my haste I pushed a little too hard and toe punted the dog in a smooth arch into the view of the audience....I claimed that the dog had been playing on my trampoline I had behind the table. The rest of the show went fine apart from the occasional request to see the trampolining dog again...
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
O.K. dogs and magic, this one honestly happened about 10 years ago. I had finished a show, tossed the last prop in the table and folded down the top and was out the door. When I arrived home I put my suitcase table in the closet where I always kept it and while my wife and I were eating dinner, we kept hearing a whimpering noise. We searched all over and found the noise coming from the closet, from my table. On opening the table, the cutest little dog (a teacup chihuahua) was looking up at me with tail wagging. I immediately called the client where I had done the show, and they had no dog, and knew nothing about any dog. Three days later we saw flyers in the local market about a missing dog, sure enough it was the same dog. Apparently a new neighbor moving in next door to the client lost the dog while unloading their boxes and hearing the kids he came over and climbed into my case, yet no one knew it. We called the people up and returned their dog. To this day we do their family Christmas party every year now as well as some work for their car dealership. This probably belonged in it really happened section, but the topic who let the dogs out fits it so well.
All the Best
Marty
by the way, this cute tiny quiet dogs name was Satan, go figure. I'm glad we did'nt find out why.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would pick #2. If the dog walked to the back of the room, layed down with no disturbance, Then I'll pick #1.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Once had Father Christmas turn up before we'd finished. No way round this, - just had a good laugh, picked up the considerable fee and laughed all the way to the bank. Must be quite honest, I enjoy the unexpected, as I can turn it round and make it into something! No doggies though, we say: "I think one or two children are a bit frightened of dogs Mrs . . . " - that usually gets Bonzo locked in the car or garage or whatever! Think we have to remember that we are in the "people" business here, even Tony Blair and George Bush have had to cope with the unexpected at their Press Conferences, so I guess it's fair to assume a kid's entertainer might get Auntie Edith walking in with a giant helium balloon once in a while! Use it to your advantage.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Strangest distraction I've ever had was at my office Halloween party... I was halfway through my routine and my kid announced he had to go to the bathroom! (5 years old and autistic... no idea of time or patience here.) My wife and mother-in-law had left to pick up the older siblings and I was left with the my son. A co-worker agreed to take him to the bathroom being assured that he knew how to take care of himself once he got there. I go on with my program and at a key point, my son come running back into the performing area and up to me... with no pants on! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
I have had the lot, Granny's, Dogs, need the toilet etc, and it dosn't matter how good you are, no one can compete with Santa. The most anoying situation I have had is two very loud ladies nattering in the background, they obviously didn't get out much and were making up for it. I was using a radio mike & amp and tried all the subtle hints and gags I new but still couldn't shut them up. The only good that came from this was the customer paid me extra and apologised for their rudeness.
Joe Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Oh I loved your story Martini!!!!!!!!!

As for me.. I don't mind a bit if a dog shows up in the audience. I have a cat puppet with a movable paw that can wave and the face is pliable and can make a lot of funny expressions at the dog.Makes for a great comedy routine so it actually enhances my act if a dog is present.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I've had the lot, santa, dogs, toddlers, old ladies talking (I tell them to shut up.)

I was doing 'ribbon of fun' once and the helper decided he wanted to go to the loo. Off he rushed to the loo leaving me to fill in while we waited for his return. This was a tad inconvenient as I'd just put the coiled up 15' lenght of red ribbon down his back. (For those that don't know the trick, you put a short yellow ribbon in your pocket and a short red ribbon down their back, leaving a bit hanging out and the kids are going to magicly join them together, it doesn't work and when you go to take the red ribbon back it's grown very long.) I was praying he was just going to have a wee in the normal manly fashion, but no when he came running back he had 15' of ribbon trailing behind him. I went, Bob what have you done to my ribbon have you been doing magic in the toilet, the kids laughed and we carried on with the trick.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Who let the dogs out? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL