The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Randi Rain's Dime Store Doll (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I did a little mini show for my wife's seminary's annual talent show last night.

I did my dime-store doll act, which ends with a doll asrah. I actually put the doll away incorrectly after rehearsal and had some trouble with the mechanism (I got the spare cord caught between her neck and head) but it still went over great!

I'm putting up a post of the entire show now, which also includes my own version of a paintball catch. I'll also put up a separate one of just the doll routine.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2203 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Is the paintball catch in print somewhere or something you created?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Its my own props and routine.

It was inspired by Bob Solari's paintball catch. In particular the use of a tissue paper hoop I got from seeing his performed.

Having said that, I created my own gun and props, without ever seeing how his work, and the routine is 100% original

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 10:36pm
Here is the entire video, dime store doll routine begins at about 3:43.

http://gallery.me.com/jeffpk#100058

For those not from around here, the union joke has to do with the fact that unions are VERY strong in New England.

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 10:38pm
I should mention that this was a very casual show. I had more or less no rehearse time in the venue and was trying out some new material. There are a few things I see myself doing, like talking with my back to the audience, that I obviously want to avoid in the future.

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 12:20am
Okay if you just want to see the Dime Store Doll routine, it's here:

http://gallery.me.com/jeffpk/100072

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 12:47am
Oh and if your curious about the paintball catch, here are some close-ups of the gun I took when I first built the props...
http://gallery.me.com/jeffpk#100008&bgcolor=black&view=grid

It's a standard Spyder Victor marker, with one slight sneaky but totally invisible modification.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4190 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2011-03-27 00:20, Cyberqat wrote:
Okay if you just want to see the Dime Store Doll routine, its here:

http://gallery.me.com/jeffpk/100072

That was fun...Thanks for sharing!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I suppose I should add some review comments.

I bought the doll partly because I've always been a fan of Randi's creations but this was the first one I liekd at a price that I could justify. (Not that her stuff isn't worth every dime, but it isn't cheap so you really want to have a routine or more in mind.)

I had always wanted to do a Mummy Asrah as a kid, as the full size Asrah was one of my favorite stage illusions. Unfortunately I never quite had the money at the time to buy one and, later, they became unavailable. When I saw the Dime Store Doll an idea hit me so I asked Randi if it was Barbie sized. When she told me it was I bought one and the result is what you see on that video.

The Dime Store Doll is, fundamentally, a Pom Pom stick with her arms, legs and head being the Pom Poms. It has the same sort of internal pully system that connects them in inobvious and counter-intuitive ways.

This is not so much magic as just a bit of the unexpected. If played right though, it can be VERY funny. My own feeling is the best way to get humor out of it is to play it as if you are as perplexed by it as the audience. Let the audience laugh at *you*, as you try to figure it out. THis is really a clowning gag, so if you aren't comfortable clowning a bit, it probably wont work for you.

For me, it works a treat. With my old temple production screen for an appearance, and a Doll Asrah for a vanish, it becomes a good three and a half minutes of audience delight. A little laughter, a little mystery. A great combination.

I am very happy with this purchase. It is the centerpiece of a routine that is going to become standard in my act. The doll is very well made with high quality cord and, if taken reasonable care of, should last a long time. The action on 4 of the 5 "pom poms" is very smooth (Randi has nots about handling the fifth in the instructions.)

One thing to watch, there is some extra cord that lives either in Dolly's head or pushed back into her body. Make sure this cord doesn't get tangled around her neck when reassembling, or the whole mechanism will become difficult to use. This is what you see in the live video, actually. When put back together properly, it works MUCH smoother and easier.

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 12:17pm
Justa note or two on the Paintball catch above.

First off, I confused my Bobs. Bob Kohler was the vender of Velocity.
Secondly, it has been pointed our to me that the actual creator of Velocity was Scott Alexander.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Randi Rain's Dime Store Doll (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL