The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wiz Kote Smoke Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I just got a Wiz Kote machine as well. I have my ignighters and my 45 second white smoke cartriges from Theater Effects. Luckily my local magic shop had a supply that he ordered from Theater Effects. So, I haven't tested the product yet. Will probably do so tomorrow. I have a few questions from anyone that uses this product...

1 - I'm wondering how many use the full 45 second cartridge per Wiz Kote shoe burn? I don't want to produce too much smoke, and create a problem, smoke detectors, etc.
2 - Also, do you use the "glue gun" technique described on the smoke cartridge directions, or is this unnecessary? And, do you prepare a bunch of cartiges with the ignighters at once?
3 - Also, the directions ask you to use a pair of pliers and squeeze off a top layer of hardened powder. Then you put the end of the ignighter in the powder, use the glue gun, etc. What do you do with the powder that you have knocked out? Do you pack it back around the ignighter?
4 - Lastly, my magic shop gave me some "slow cotton". I think that is what it was called. How important is this? I think it was to put around the ignighter at the top of the cartridge to make sure the ignighter catches on fire. Will the smoke cartriges not catch on fire without the slow cotton?

I want to make sure I do what is required, but of course I don't want to do extra work where it isn't necessary. Any quidance will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Tony,
you might want to post this in the workshop section of the Café as well, There is a ton of knowledge there. and they might be able to answer your question.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I use one ignighter each time. I use slow cotton and a small amount of smoke powder all wrap like a candy kiss in a smalll pcs flash paper. Works everytime. Not sure what the cartridge is for?? Never used them.

Ken
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
45 seconds is an eternity on stage! That's what I said to the theater effects people. Just use a nail or pin to break out a small portion of smoke powder from a cartridge per show/load. I don't use the igniter and all that stuff. I just make like a bird's nest of slow cotton, put the smoke powder in that, and wrap it all in a flash paper fuse. I stick the tip of the fuze through a hole in the back wall of my wiz kote and light it with a lighter.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks MagicB1S - I have posted it in the F/X section as well.

Thanks Ken.
James - Thanks for the help. I think what you are calling a flash paper fuse is a nichrome surefire igniter.

I experimented today and ran into a snag - it appears that I have the wrong igniters. I bought the Ultra Surefire Igniter and I think it is the Ultra that messed me up, although I won't be able to confirm this for a few days. I think I have ones that are designed for 120v rather than batteries.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Tony, I think James is actually making a fuse from flash paper, if I understand him correctly. He used a lighter to ignite it.

I do not have a Wiz Kote, but I have used pyro for many, many years...both in magic and in music. If you have wire designed for 120v it won;t work with batteries, so that may be your problem.

As far as the smoke powder goes, I started using the smoke cartridges from Theatre FX, and I just srape off about a dime-sized, rounded heap for each load. That much provides plenty enough smoke for the Cellulator!

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wiz Kote Smoke Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL