The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you shave? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Poll time! Just for curiosity's sake- How do you shave? Wet shave, electric razor, straight razor?

Last year I dumped the old can of foam for a shaving brush and soap; I've got a pure badger brush that lathers really well, it feels like I'm giving my face a massage. Then I shave with a Shick Hydro razor (or a Mach-3 when I'm travelling.) I dunno, some people may think I'm a shaving snob, but using the brush seems faster and cleaner to me than using shaving cream.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I use the Gilette Fusion razor with Nivea shaving cream--the tube, not the foam can.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Brush and soap is the only way to go...Mine is boars hair...Need to find badger. Mach 3 for the razor.
Indeed, the brush is neater and more cost effective, but what I really like the massage factor.
Gwyd
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Buck knife and spit.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Stoney...You are much more manly than me!
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Nah...what a wimp to need the spit.

But for myself, electric six days a week and wet shave with foam at the weekend.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Hate shaving. Which is why I've had a beard since my senior year in high school thirty five years ago.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Gwyd- my travel brush is boar's hair. In fact, it was my first brush. I upgraded after I found I enjoyed it. (There's a few good deals on brushes on Amazon if you look.)

Payne, surely you trim it on occasion? Unless you look like one of the guitarists from ZZ Top.

The poll is open to ladies, too, by the way- though I know there aren't as many women browsing this forum as men.

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2885 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Gillette Mach 3 during the week. On weekends, old-fashioned shaving soap, brush, and one of those old-style butterfly razors that open up so you can drop the blade in. For a while there, I was using the brush and razor all week, but got lazy somewhere along the line.

One of these days I'll get a straight razor.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Gillette fusion and Gillette gel.
Face only!
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Cheap plastic disposable while in the shower.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Gillette Fusion and cheap foam.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It's generally best to start from the top and work your way down. If you do it the other way around then it gets weird.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've owned the same Remington micro-screen electric shaver for the past 25 years. If it ever breaks I'm not sure what I'll do... Smile
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
An old fasion straight razor with the Razor Strop. Not the ones with the temporary blades. My dad was a Barber in Brooklyn in the local Spanish during the 70's market near me. He wanted me to learn the skill because he always told me that the best closest shave you can have is only with a straight razor and people will pay for the skill too. Though I wouldnt put myself in the league of Trump or the Kennedys, I have actually made some nice change every now and then.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Bic yellow single edged 6-for-a-buck disposables. Hot water,and for Shaving cream: any thick hair conditioner. Softens whiskers better than shaving cream and better for your skin.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 15:06, Payne wrote:
Hate shaving. Which is why I've had a beard since my senior year in high school thirty five years ago.

Payne, in these 35 years have you ever shaved off your beard - just once? I couldn't hold out, and would be curious to 'see myself' again at some point! Smile Do you shave a portion of your neck, under the beard?

As for me:

- gel, not just plain foam

- 2 or 3 bladed disposable cartridge (now a Mach 3)

- usually only shave every other day

I may have to try the 'circle of soap with a brush' again sometime.

Why the need for a beaver/badger fur (?) brush - is it the massage, or something else?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
"I never shaved the whiskers from off my horny hide; I just drove them in with a hammer, and bit them off inside."

W.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Chessman, the badger hair holds water better than boar's hair or synthetics. The end result is a better lather.

AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Gilette shaving gel, right after the shower. Against the grain.

I use the nicest disposables I can afford at the time. Right now it's one of those newer models that puts a giant X in their name to market themselves, like they re-invented shaving or something.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you shave? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL