The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you shave? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
610 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I wet my face, then I use a bar of soap all over the whiskers, which helps to scrape the soap from the bar and get a good lather. Then let it sit on there for a while, then I use a Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor.

Last year, I did experience a straight razor shave. Although it was quite smooth, my neck was too sensitive and hurt the next day.

I hope someday they make disposable laser razors...
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 15:06, Payne wrote:

Hate shaving. Which is why I've had a beard since my senior year in high school thirty five years ago.

I can relate to that. I stopped full face shaving once I finished my last summer job in retail following my last year of high school. Now I just shave that portion of the beard below the neckline (or whatever that region is called). I used to use my father's old fashioned razor but gave that up when the shops stopped carrying the replacement blades. Now I use a Mach 3 or similar razor. With foam from a can, nothing special there.

I trim my beard at least every few days by giving it a run over with a Wahl electric beard trimmer.

Over approximately 30 years, I think I've shaved my beard completely off once (possibly twice) but then stopped shaving again within a week or two. And twice I've shaved the sides away to form a goatee, which lasted a few months each time.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I use a pig brissel brush with a soap cup, and a Shick single edge razor blade from the 1960's. Recently I was forced to go on ebay to buy another 1960 vintage razor blade (the new ones suck). I shave every other day, and before every show. Because I'm on Plavex (blood thinner) I bleed like a pig from the slinghtest nick.

I keep my beard trim with an electric razor.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4912 Posts

Profile of landmark
Norelco.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I shave in the shower, btw. At the sink gets to be too much of a mess, and clean up in the shower is much easier! Got a small mirror in a plastic frame with a suction cup on the back (designed for shower use).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 00:09, Chessmann wrote:
I shave in the shower, btw.

Me too. Or in the bathtub. My claims of manliness aside, the truth is that my skin is so sensitive that when I shave at the sink I end up looking like a turkey. My father said (about 25 years ago), "Try shaving in the shower". I did. It worked. Been doing it ever since.

I use a brush, but don't know what animal manufactured the bristles. I use a disposable razor, because I've got a large supply of them from Asian airlines. I don't use a mirror, because I've been shaving for 25 years by feel. I don't really use a Buck knife. I don't use spit. That would be disgusting.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 17:26, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Cheap plastic disposable while in the shower.

Ditto, with hand soap.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Note on the brushes-
Boar and Badger bristles are much stiffer than a synthetic bristle brush and hold more water. A synthetic tends to "glop" on the lather as opposed to spreading it in a controlled fashion. The feel of the bristles is much different as well.
G
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I have discovered one can get away with swallowing razors in a corporate show if one first discusses King Camp Gillette and his invention of both the safety razor and the loss leader model. The only blades I can ever find here for that demonstration are unfortunately Wilkinson Sword but I only swallow them - I don't use them for their intended purpose. For that, Mr Gillette's company make the wonderful Fusion Power - 5 vibrating blades that clear every hair - and an extra separate trimming blade - wonderful for right up under the nose, the hairline etc.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 06:08, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 17:26, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Cheap plastic disposable while in the shower.

Ditto, with hand soap.

I'm part of that contingent as well.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I must reiterate, coin purse last.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Gsidhe
You are so right about brushes. Those synthetic brushes are worthless, but a Boars brissel brush can sets the wiskers up like nothing else. My Shick 1960 injector razor looks a lot like a disposible razor except my old one is better made.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Though I have done emergency touch-ups with the pocket knife, it's not my preferred procedure. I've also gone to the barbershop for the hot towel and straightrazor treatment, but my budget prevents this from being a regular thing.
The usual:
First, I give a once over with the clippers. Then I use a Headblade sport with triple bladed cartridges to smooth the stubble. As for shaving cream, I typically use an Olive Oil based soap.
I do this for head, neck, and cheeks. I keep the handlebar 'stache and long goatee. I keep the 'stache tamed with Pinaud Clubman moustache wax. For the beard, I use Colonel Conk's wax.
The Clubman is a stiffer wax, to keep the shape in the 'stache. The Conk's is a softer and more conditioning product. Just keeps the beard soft and reduces "frizziness."
And that's how I maintain my olde time strongman look Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Double edge safety razor (butterfly type), shaving cream from a jar, badger hair brush = wet shave. Peruse this website--classicshaving.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
I use a lawn mower.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Push, ride-on or rotary?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
Push Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Self-employment means never having to give a rat's tail about whether your shave is close enough.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 09:12, Destiny wrote:
I have discovered one can get away with swallowing razors in a corporate show if one first discusses King Camp Gillette and his invention of both the safety razor and the loss leader model. The only blades I can ever find here for that demonstration are unfortunately Wilkinson Sword but I only swallow them - I don't use them for their intended purpose. For that, Mr Gillette's company make the wonderful Fusion Power - 5 vibrating blades that clear every hair - and an extra separate trimming blade - wonderful for right up under the nose, the hairline etc.

I used to have a book "Why Did They Name It?" which dealt with the creation of consumable items we all take for granted.

One was King Gillette and his safety razor. According to the book, he got the idea of coming up with something disposable by the guy who invented the crown bottle cap (now obsolete). So THAT'S the guy who should get credit for the invention of the loss leader model. Unless I'm confused.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Electric Shaver, then I use a razor for a clean shave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you shave? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL