The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you shave? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Badger hair brush, L'Occitane shaving cream and a straigh razor (old fasnioned with a strop) or a Gillette fusion. I need to shave daily and use the straight razor every other day (let the edge of the blade rest).
Sent from my Typewriter
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Someone asked me once "why did you grow a goatee", and I told him that I had all this hair in my mouth that I had to let grow out.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
IMO, this is one of the stupidist posts of all time on the Café.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
C. Loubard
My post was intended for those with A SENSE OF HUMOR, and if you think that it is "one of the stupidest post of all times" you need to read more posts. That being said, I am so happy to have annoyed a stuffy Café member with my joke. LOL
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 01:01, C. Loubard wrote:
IMO, this is one of the stupidist posts of all time on the Café.

I don't have a lot of grammar hang-ups, but if you're going to call something the "stupidist" you might want to consider the spelling Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Critter
That craks me up becaus I'm the one who is famus for bad splling.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
All I know is I probably should shave more often- my son's pointing at my cheeks and saying "What's that?" and my wife is complaining that I tickle her when we kiss.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I grew a beard (actually, it grew itself) a little over a year ago.

But there are still parts of my body that I shave. And quite frankly, the price of blades has become morally (or ethically?--I tend to forget the difference) offensive to me. Here in Germany, Gillettte Fusion cartridges cost about 4 Euros each.

After research, I decided to buy an old-fashoned safety razor like my father used back in the day. I tried it and LOVED it. It is actually superior to the plastic crap I had usd my entire adult life.

And the cost? The razor itself was slighly more expensive than something like a Gillette Fusion. But the blades? WHOA! The blades are not only crazy cheap; you can sample and choose and find what suits you best--you can CUSTOMIZE!

Right now I am using an Edwin Jagger Kelvin with Astra blades. My chin is beautifully hairy, but my neck, tattooed arms, and nether-regions are beautifully smooth.

Why on earth did safety razors go out of fashion?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I agree with stone; I've been shaving for years with expensive triple trac blades and on a whim about a year ago I dug into my ditty bag of such things as old razors, which I never can get myself to throw away. There I found my old safety razor of the butterfly type I used in the Air Force back in the 60s and remembered the old Wilkinson Sword was the blade of choice back then. After forty-five years of shaving with injectors and all kinds of other iterations, I couldn't beleve the smooth shave I got out of some new Wilkinson Swords, still made today, saving a ton of money in the process. The razor blade folks have been fooling us for the last forty years or so with all the gimmicks they've heaved upon us, when in fact the good old fashioned safety, double-edged razor gives the smoothest and most comfortable shave of all. Never going back to the expensive ones that don't come close to doing the job.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
For those who wish to save with no perceivable disadvantage to the quality of shave, this may be of interest Smile

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Kam, you can do better than that. I saw that ad on FB a day or two ago.

What I just posted is that the old-fashioned safety razor absolutely blasts away the whole price consideration driving something like dollar shave club.

We're talking something like a thirty dollar razor and blades that cost 10 to 20 cents each. And you get a better shave!

And you can choose brands of razors and blades.

My wife borrowed my new razor, and was also blown away, and will switch.

I ain't shilling fir any website or brand. I'm just saying I re-discovered the safety razor, and wanted to share.

I'm a sharing kind of guy.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Kam, you can do better than that. I saw that ad on FB a day or two ago.

What I just posted is that the old-fashioned safety razor absolutely blasts away the whole price consideration driving something like dollar shave club.

We're talking something like a thirty dollar razor and blades that cost 10 to 20 cents each. And you get a better shave!

And you can choose brands of razors and blades.

My wife borrowed my new razor, and was also blown away, and will switch.

I ain't shilling fir any website or brand. I'm just saying I re-discovered the safety razor, and wanted to share.

I'm a sharing kind of guy.

I must admit Stone, I never read your post above. My apologies.

I'm sure there are better shaves out there for a better price and a good old-fashioned blade may well be worth my serious consideration.

I currently use a Gillet Fusion blade myself. I'm also not sure how they can charge what they do. A few of my friends use dollarshaveclub and are converted. Thought I'd share it as an alternative.

In regards to foam, I've used a fair bit out there, but so far nothing has beaten Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree shaving soap ( https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SHAVINGGEL/SD0403.html ).... boy does this leave my skin feeling revived, it's more expensive but with a good shaving brush, one tube of this stuff has lasted me almost 12 mths (4 times a week shave)....

Kam
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I used to get pampered downtown at the barbershop with a straight razor shave, but current tensions has required me to grow a full beard to blend in if need arises.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I used to get pampered downtown at the barbershop with a straight razor shave, but current tensions has required me to grow a full beard to blend in if need arises.

LOL!

The last time I had a straight razor shave by a barber was in Marrakesh. And I can't deny I thought just a tiny bit about whether it was wise.

I turned out OK, but was bluffed by the haggling happening *afterward* rather than beforehand. But that's another subject, I suppose.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:

Hahahahahah......I once got a barber shave with string in Jordan. They are doing the EXACT opposite to you it seems...same tensions

Kam
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
They do the string thing here too, for those who like a sharp line on their 5 o'clock shadow. Pulling hairs out of my face is not what I would consider relaxing. The straight razor is rather relaxing. They shave you 3 times with a closer shave each time. I pass on the follow up back massage. I have to use a leave in conditioner for my beard otherwise it will drive me crazy.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
987 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2011, Al Angello wrote:
Critter
That craks me up becaus I'm the one who is famus for bad splling.

This is off top, but anyone know what happened to Al Angello? He use to be a regular here, then completely disappeared from the Café.
Bob
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I believe he is banned and living large on Facebook.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I used the Gillette Fusion razor for years, but one day was stuck and bought the pound shop equivalent. Not quite as good, but not far off, and it cost me a tenth of the Fusion version. So I switched.

Soap and a brush is what I use with it. I will try the safety razor after reading Stone's comments.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Gillette Mach-something, and a can of Barbasol. I travel too much to take a brush, mug, etc with me. Plus, the idea of running a safety razor over parts of my head that I can't see frightens me a bit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you shave? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL