We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mom sends autistic boy's advanced theories to physicists and gets the shock of her life (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Yeah? Well, I can drive a car and buy liquor. Let's see boy wonder try that - ha!

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3144 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I was told there wasn't going to be any math.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
I wish I was autistic.
:loss:

Randi
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
He isn't autistic, per se. He has Asperger's syndrome, which may be related to autism. The link was inconclusive last I checked.
"Sufferers from the syndrome are like autistic individuals in that they show the same kind of impairments from early childhood; yet they are unlike them in being far more verbally articulate and socially adapt. They can be highly intelligent and reminiscent of eccentrics with their unusual interests, special skills, and unworldliness." (Uta Frith, et al, 1991)
That paper came the year before this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Autism-Asperger-Sy......2138608X
Which is dry and hard to read if you like that sort of thing Smile

Pay attention to the "can be" in the above quote. They aren't always more intelligent. It is even possible to have both Asperger's (or autism)and mental retardation comorbidly.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
WOW! That's pretty heady stuff for a 12 year old!

I hope he is able to balance all this with the other aspects of growing up and live a well-balanced life.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Asperger is not classic autism, but it is an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I didn't realize Einstein's IQ was so low.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 20:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Asperger is not classic autism, but it is an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

That classification is based solely on similarities in symptoms though, not necessarily a common cause. Though they could have a common cause. We don't know. That's why I say it's not autism "per se."
The "per se" means that it is, but it isn't. So, it's classified the same, but it's not the exact same disease. It is kind of a version of autism, but it isn't autism. Not exactly. More or less. And so forth.
I think it could be related in terms of causation, but we have no idea. I just want that to be clear.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Most laypeople don't know that "autism" is ambiguous; it refers to both a specific disorder ("classical" autism), and a spectrum encompassing a range of disorders. Asperger Syndrome is embraced by one of the definitions of autism, but not the other.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah, I was trying to clarify the difference but I guess I didn't do too good a job.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
You got the important thing...there's not a lot we know about it. Which really sucks, given how common it is.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I think my daughter might have Asperger's. Then again, she might just be two. The symptoms are similar.
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Wonderful not that understand the theory.

Some one in the comments asked an interesting question:

“Why is it, like John Nash of Princeton University who in 1994 won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics, and portrayed in the Hollywood movie, A Beautiful Mind, feel compelled to scribble mathmatical calculations on windows. In the article of which I took note it shows Jake doing the same as John Nash supposedly had done while a professor at Princeton. I find this attribute curious, is there any explanation?”

I wonder if it would help us be more creative writing on widows or glass because one see the world through it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It pretty much comes down to whether he can express his insight in the formal language of mathematics or using the current model in physics to make novel predictions or offer a more elegant model. Time will tell on that.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I tried to read your post but it was just some yellow lettering with many slashes and dots. What is the topic?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Tommy,
The main reason is that it is easy to erase.
I also do it and I am no genius. Heck, I hang out at the magic Café.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Well, yeah...you ain't no laypeople.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 21:30, tommy wrote:
Wonderful not that understand the theory.

Some one in the comments asked an interesting question:

“Why is it, like John Nash of Princeton University who in 1994 won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics, and portrayed in the Hollywood movie, A Beautiful Mind, feel compelled to scribble mathmatical calculations on windows. In the article of which I took note it shows Jake doing the same as John Nash supposedly had done while a professor at Princeton. I find this attribute curious, is there any explanation?”

Maybe the kid watched the movie?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mom sends autistic boy's advanced theories to physicists and gets the shock of her life (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL