The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Rare Items (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1914 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Smile Magic Patagonia! He is a Smile - Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2862 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 10:14, Killertweety wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 05:51, R-U-D-! wrote:
@nicolino - Hi, your question:
...


An inside joke perhaps? Smile

Yes, an insider! He's a close friend of mine and I asked him this morning about the number of posts he already had....
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3394 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
A sexy voice... if only I had a dollar for everytime I've been told that! (kiddding). Thanks for the kind words Killertweety. You have been great to deal with and I agree it is smart to know who you are dealing with.

John
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Actually, Stereo, I am a pretty smart guy. That includes being versed in statistics. So I know there is no way that the webmasters could have performed a univariate analysis correlating number of posts with number of dishonest transactions, as this website isn't set up to collect that kind of data. Which means the 50 post threshold is a completely arbitrary number, of no utility, that neither ensures the honesty of anyone reaching it, nor the dishonesty of anyone who hasn't. Ebay has had a problem with sellers using false identities, making numerous legitimate sales to rack up high positive ratings and a trusted profile, only to have them then make a killing by "selling" dozens of high priced items at once and bolting with the proceeds without delivering. This website is no less vulnerable.
The best way to protect against being defrauded is to evaluate each transaction on an individual basis - assuming you're given the opportunity to make one.

But you go ahead and keep on believing the emperor has new clothes.

Oh look, I'm yet one post closer to 50.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3394 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
My two cents... I think the 50 posts thing is good in that it provides a "reward" for being actively involved in the Café and as pointed out above, helps to get to know someone a little better before dealing with them. Is it perfect no, could someone still rip you off yes. Howvever I had a good comfort level from the individuals I have done transactions with here from the way they conducted themselves in their posts. As always buyer beware... however there is a core group here that feels comfortable dealing with each other.

John
stuartle
View Profile
Regular user
* UK *
142 Posts

Profile of stuartle
I know you guys have known each other for a long time through this site, but not opening up to others you could be missing out on some great items, I have dealt with Killertweety has he had any problems no, just ask him, I am a genuine person to deal with... Stuart
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3394 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Not saying that you are not a great guy (Killertweety's endorsement goes a long way). Just explaining why I think the 50 posts is not a bad idea. At the end of the day we want more active Tenyo fans here that we can share ideas with and possibly buy and sell from.

Cheers,

John
stuartle
View Profile
Regular user
* UK *
142 Posts

Profile of stuartle
I totallyt agree and I will strive to make progress and join in where I can in future posts... Stuart
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3394 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I have no doubt that you will Stuart, and if at some point you have an item I am looking for I would not hesitate to deal with you.

John
stuartle
View Profile
Regular user
* UK *
142 Posts

Profile of stuartle
Thank You.... STuart
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 13:03, cyberdave03 wrote:
Actually, Stereo, I am a pretty smart guy. That includes being versed in statistics. So I know there is no way that the webmasters could have performed a univariate analysis correlating number of posts with number of dishonest transactions, as this website isn't set up to collect that kind of data. Which means the 50 post threshold is a completely arbitrary number, of no utility, that neither ensures the honesty of anyone reaching it, nor the dishonesty of anyone who hasn't. Ebay has had a problem with sellers using false identities, making numerous legitimate sales to rack up high positive ratings and a trusted profile, only to have them then make a killing by "selling" dozens of high priced items at once and bolting with the proceeds without delivering. This website is no less vulnerable.
The best way to protect against being defrauded is to evaluate each transaction on an individual basis - assuming you're given the opportunity to make one.

But you go ahead and keep on believing the emperor has new clothes.

Oh look, I'm yet one post closer to 50.


I have to agree with Cyberdave on this one.

50 posts makes you no more trustworthy than 49, it's not like anyone put any serious thought into the number, it's simply to discourage con men, scammers, whatever you want to call them. I will point out that a higher number IS chosen to track client source IP address consistency. It's probably a pretty good bet that if a user posting here with less than the arbitrary 50 post number sources from numerous source IP addresses (say more than 10 to rule out mobiles devices, from work, from school, from home, etc), it's an inkling that the user's intentions MIGHT be suspect but far from predictive. If the admin notes the same IP addresses multiple times, over and over, it's at least a bit better indication of intention (albeit far from trustworthy as the user could be using a paid proxy sourcing from a relatively small range of IP addresses, there's always risk).

I'm also not so sure why so many folks get so angry about posting in the wrong thread, multiple posts, on and on. Yes it can be annoying for some but if it's annoying you that bad, you probably shouldn't be a member of any forum because the same things happen on all of them.

Rules are rules and I believe in following them, but we should probably take it easy and enjoy our mutually shared passion, Tenyo magic products.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3394 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I think it just comes down to trying to follow basic forum etiquette. I know when first getting a serious interest in Tenyo I went back and read all the past posts... I learned a lot and appreciated that the posts stayed on track on a particular topic. It is when people are too lazy to read past posts before asking a question or starting a new post I get frustrated (and not just in the Tenyo section). This is just my opinion but if someone has a serious interest I would think you would want to read past information amd then post or comment as appropriate based on that foundation. End of soapbox...

Steve has posted in the past on why the 50 hurdle. it is more to encourage active particpation versus a security thing.

John
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 17:13, J M Talbot wrote:
I think it just comes down to trying to follow basic forum etiquette. I know when first getting a serious interest in Tenyo I went back and read all the past posts... I learned a lot and appreciated that the posts stayed on track on a particular topic. It is when people are too lazy to read past posts before asking a question or starting a new post I get frustrated (and not just in the Tenyo section). This is just my opinion but if someone has a serious interest I would think you would want to read past information amd then post or comment as appropriate based on that foundation. End of soapbox...

Steve has posted in the past on why the 50 hurdle. it is more to encourage active particpation versus a security thing.

John


Here I completely agree. Forums become research mechanisms and should be treated as such. Answering the same thing over and over is tiring.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Who said that the webmasters could have performed a univariate analysis correlating number of posts with number of dishonest transactions ????
Who said that the 50 post are not arbitrary number ????
Who said that the 50 post ensures the honesty ????
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 18:39, stereo wrote:
Who said that the webmasters could have performed a univariate analysis correlating number of posts with number of dishonest transactions ????
Who said that the 50 post are not arbitrary number ????
Who said that the 50 post ensures the honesty ????


I never said 50 posts ensure honesty, I did agree with Cyberdave that the 50 posts are arbitrary because they are, no comment on uni-variate analysis because I know nothing about it.

Stereo, you seem like a cool guy and have a GREAT web site, thought I have to tell you, you seem hostile man, there's no good reason to get hot over forum posts. Life's too *** short. I have nothing against you personally, I don't know you, but I suggest relaxing a bit.

Because of all of these responses, now this thread has turned into one big chain of spam completely diverting the topic of the thread.

You have your opinion and I respect that, I agree to disagree with people, I don't get angry over it, not worth it.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
You see the hostility or there is no.
As I have said many times on this forum, machine translation can do things seem harsher than they are in my original text. Poverty of the English vocabulary does not help either.
I was just looking to be noticed that I did not see the connection between my post and the reply that you have made to my post. I just explain that there is rules in this forum which are for the convenience of all and that the 50 posts can be used to be able to better know someone and you answer me the explanation based on statistics correlating number of posts with number of dishonest transactions and that the 50 posts are arbitrary and do not ensure the honesty.Except I've never said otherwise. I'm not angry about posting in the wrong thread, multiple posts, on and on, I just think it's disrespectful attitude when it tends to repeat again and again. Then indeed the debate is over long ago, but I'm just surprised that there have in fact a debate about this. Seems so logical to me.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 20:20, stereo wrote:
You see the hostility or there is no.
As I have said many times on this forum, machine translation can do things seem harsher than they are in my original text. Poverty of the English vocabulary does not help either.
I was just looking to be noticed that I did not see the connection between my post and the reply that you have made to my post. I just explain that there is rules in this forum which are for the convenience of all and that the 50 posts can be used to be able to better know someone and you answer me the explanation based on statistics correlating number of posts with number of dishonest transactions and that the 50 posts are arbitrary and do not ensure the honesty.Except I've never said otherwise. I'm not angry about posting in the wrong thread, multiple posts, on and on, I just think it's disrespectful attitude when it tends to repeat again and again. Then indeed the debate is over long ago, but I'm just surprised that there have in fact a debate about this. Seems so logical to me.


First off, you should give yourself more credit, you can speak English! I can't speak French, so you're doing better than me! Smile

1) Cyberdave answered you about the statistics stuff, not me. Nothing against Cyberdave, but knowing or not knowing statistics doesn't make you smart.

2) I do agree with him that 50 is an arbitrary number, as I said, what difference would it make if I post 49 times or 50 times in allowing me access to the for sale section? I do agree that it bodes well in at least getting to know someone a bit. I also know that admins will institute such numbers to analyze information security trends (my profession).

3) Nothing in the cyber world can insure honesty outside of turning off your computer Smile

Debates are good, I agree to disagree, I only disagree that this thread turned into such a waste of brain power! LOL

At the same time, I'm apart of it! LOL
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Yes I'm sorry, my horrible aggression was in fact intended to Cyberdave. I got lost, as I understand not all, just been completely shifted. After reading all the answers, I must say that yours was relevant . My apologies.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
So based on what pops up on eBay and other auction sites, what is the rarest Tenyo trick, from say 1-10?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2862 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Must sound funny but I never saw a mint Midas Machine on eBay - while I spotted mint Floating Ladys and Ninja Experiments....
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Rare Items (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL