The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Assembly, from scratch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very true!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2011-03-31 17:16, Mindpro wrote:
Since several of my shows has music or audio, I prefer to travel with a soundperson or run it myself. I will not use a school's student tech crew (it's clearly stated in my rider).

I want to second this.

One time I had a college tech crew running my sound for a hypnosis show. I had a cue sheet, as well as arranged non verbal hand signals in the event that they could not understand the obvious cues. As you might guess, NONE of my music or sound effects worked, and I ended up doing a completely quiet show, without even mood music during the induction let alone sound effects.

Since I am too "small time" to have a sound person travel with me, I now have the soundboard right on stage with me. This would not work with magic, but it's an easy thing during a hyp show to keep talking while I walk to the side to start a sound effect or music.

In today's world, people are accustomed to seeing a DJ on stage with full gear (even though I try to keep anything that is visible to a minimum.) Also, in a hyp show the attention is on the participants, not me, so this is not as distracting as it might sound.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I truly feel for you. For some reason I've seen this happen to stage hypnotists more than any other type of performer. I guess the old adage still stands - if you want something done right, then do it yourself...and even then, watch out for old man Murphy and his law!
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
762 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Starrpower is right on with the budget issue, I worked doing school and library venues for years and retired from it late last year.
The economy killed the budget's for School Districts and shows were one of the first things to go.
I would suggest looking for a different market...
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Schools are still a major part of my bread and butter - It is a very tough market right now. There has been a steady decline starting about 2007 and it has not leveled off yet. Shows are still there, just not in the numbers as in years past - you have to hustle and make sure you are that one assembly that they can pay for.

Schools are doing a lot more inhouse assemblies which is great as they are learning that the classroom is very different than a gym full of students. The trend won't last forever but in the mean time, if you are not already rooted in the market - now is not the best time to jump in. I have seen a lot of strong programs actully drop out completely - I am talking selling off equiptment and everything. And right know there are a ton of either unemployed or under employed individuals thinking it is a quick way to make extra cash only to learn the hard way.

Enter if you dare BUT like 61magic stated, I would suggest looking for a different market...

Just my thoughts -
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3913 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've been working on the school market for a couple of hard months now. Here's what I've learned:

1) You need a theme. Recycling will always be hot. (Axtell has a great recycling theme prop you should look at with this one.) You won't get into too many doors without a theme.

2) School budgets are tight. Consider getting a corporate sponsor to "buy" a block of shows. Incorporate give aways with the corporation's name on them.

3) Don't scrimp on your sound system. Bad sound will kill you.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Assembly, from scratch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL