The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does Tipping Result in Better Service? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Do you give a tip regardless of the level of service?

Do you feel guilty for not tipping due to poor service?

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/budge......5538049/
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I guess the article answers the question why Wonder Woman has big tips.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
^^ With apologies to Lobo.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Speaking as a person who has passed the hat on occasion tiping is essential for a busker to feed himself. Busking is an honorable profession in Europe.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I happily tip well if the service is good and poorly if it isn't up to par. Does it result in "good behavior?" Not likely, unless a tip is done at the outset. A friend of mine does an effect of Jeff McBride's where money is produced whenever his waitress first appears (he doesn't do it for waiters). I've yet to have poor service when he does that.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 20:25, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I happily tip well if the service is good and poorly if it isn't up to par. Does it result in "good behavior?" Not likely, unless a tip is done at the outset.

Or if it's at a place you frequent.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
To be honest with you the waitress's butt is a large consideration when I tip. It makes my wife angry until I tell her that if she was my waitress my tip would be more.

On Saturday afternoons when I come home after doing several kids birthday party's the first thing I tell my wife is how much money I made in tips, because the tip tells me how much they loved me, and my butt is kinda old and droopy.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I regularly dine and drink in three different establishments. I tip reasonably well, and I am now 'comped' drinks and meals more often than I originally ever imagined possible. It might happen just because I am a regular and a nice guy, but I think the tipping has helped.

Around Xmas in 2010, I brought in a $5 box of chocolates for the waitresses working at one pub and in return my friends and I were comped about $50 worth of food and drink that same night.

Tipping absolutely has its advantages.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I tend to overtip the perfect waiters/waitresses, tip regular for decent service, and real bad for poor service (in an attempt to chase them out of the business).
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I think it depends on the establishment your in and the person serving. I you're at a better place I think the servers know the quality of their service impacts the tips they receive. Here's another factor. There's some restaurants I go to on a regular basis and have gotten to know the server/bartender. As a regular I've gotten drinks comped and new meals brought out at no extra charge because the person new I didn't care for the dish I ordered. That kind of treatment always gets a much bigger tip in my book and keeps me coming back.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I always tip more than average because:
1) I've worked for tips so I know what it means to one's income.
2) I'm an absent minded person, and I can't count the number of times I've left something behind etc., and was really glad I had a good relationship with the waiter, cabdriver, who returned it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does Tipping Result in Better Service? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL