The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ditching a shell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
When at the end of a 3 fly or for example in Homer's coin one instead of vanishing the last coin I simply say I will place it in my pocket and that's what I do. The spectator opens their hand and notices the coin has traveled to their hand and I am left totally clean. Any opinions on this?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I have used stuff like this for Years! I started doing it becase I was working dark bars and it was a lot safer then trying to dich in a topit, or vest pocket where you mite miss. and you would have to going looking around a dark bar floor for your shell.Smile I fould layman liked it just as good! And When I started saying " Look The last one is even harder. I will place it in my pocket, and it will jump back out of my pocket.and join the outher two coins!" So yea from 20 or so years of doing it I would say! it's a lot safer, Layman don't know the difference, And that thay like it just as well! So go for it man! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
Thanks David. I am glad to hear that.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Your wecome! Smile Yea most of the time I would use it for three fly where my outher hand was busy! But it works both ways!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
I sometimes will use this method on Roths coins across ,instead of a spider vanish if I am performing for friends ..Friends will always be that bit more cautious than laymen unless shall we say they are a little awkward Smile

Leaves you completely clean and a look on there faces that is nice to see they enjoyed it .

Shaun
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
A thought that crossed my mind while reading this was, what if you use Roth's lapel coin with this idea? So you place the coin in the pocket, pretend to reproduce it in the air, it vanishes, reappears at the lapel, where you take it, it vanishes, and reappears in thier hands. Hope that makes sense?

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
Great ideas. Many thanks. I agree with the post about friends. They always suspect something in the other hand. Even while watching coin one which is my favorite to watch and perform I know Homer is holding out a coin in his hand. Getting rid of it takes that suspicion away. I am not familar with Roth's lapel coin. Is it in his book Expert Coin Magic?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea it is!
Could be a cool Thing! And it safe&clean! But you do have to have a coat on! ( So you have A Lapel Smile )
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Between the shirt buttons has worked well for me -- and my shirt pocket. But your natural move to the pocket is fine -- I just like variety.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
When the angle is good and the timing is right (especially when they are looking at the spectator's hands), I blatantly place it on my back pocket.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
For those who don't want to go to the pocket, here's a way to ditch the shell in plain sight.

Do any vanish that leaves the shell in right-hand classic palm. The shell's open side is against the palm.

Now:
1) display the regular coins in a spread on the left palm;
2) move your right hand over to square up the coins;
3) as the right fingertips touch the coins, let the shelled coin drop onto the left fingertips. The spectators can't see this, because the left fingertips are beneath the right palm;
4) curl the left fingertips. This action places the shell atop the stack of coins as they're squared on the left palm. The right hand shields this. The right fingers can settle the shell in place if necessary.
5) separate the hands. You have a stack of four coins in your left hand, with the hands otherwise empty. The shell has been ditched in plain sight.

Cheers,
Jerry
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea that's not bad if you are doing a 3 fly! (If you have the guts to hold out for a few sec's Smile )
But if it's in the spectators hand that's a long time to hold out! So you mite Step back as thay open there
hand and 1. put your hands in your pocket and lean back a little! ( everybody is looking at them! ) 2. T.p. the shell and just put your thumbs in your pocket as you lean back! 3. if you have a steal core shell you could unload on a magnetic hold out! or 4. you could just reach in to your pocket to get your coin purse to put the coins away! So more stuff to think about! There is lots of ways to go here!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 19:13, jerdunn wrote:
For those who don't want to go to the pocket, here's a way to ditch the shell in plain sight.

Do any vanish that leaves the shell in right-hand classic palm. The shell's open side is against the palm.

Now:
1) display the regular coins in a spread on the left palm;
2) move your right hand over to square up the coins;
3) as the right fingertips touch the coins, let the shelled coin drop onto the left fingertips. The spectators can't see this, because the left fingertips are beneath the right palm;
4) curl the left fingertips. This action places the shell atop the stack of coins as they're squared on the left palm. The right hand shields this. The right fingers can settle the shell in place if necessary.
5) separate the hands. You have a stack of four coins in your left hand, with the hands otherwise empty. The shell has been ditched in plain sight.

Cheers,
Jerry

Yep, plus an advantage to this "ditch" is that you put the coins back into a coin case and you are instantly reset for the next table/group. That's how I clean up my coins across which is usually my closer walkaround/strolling.

Best,
MJ
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Do I miss something in this thread? What's wrong with palming the sh### and, if need be to Change Over Palm it? I'm shy about getting near my pocket during a coin trick: even if nothing happens there, it makes spectators suspicious by taking them out of frame.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
[quote]On 2011-04-03 19:21, Lawrence O wrote:
Do I miss something in this thread? What's wrong with palming the sh### and, if need be to Change Over Palm it? I'm shy about getting near my pocket during a coin trick: even if nothing happens there, it makes spectators suspicious by taking them out of frame.
[/quote Nothing wrong with Palming ,i do it all the time but sometimes it's good to use other methods when the need arises.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I'm shy about getting near my pockets during a coin trick: even if nothing tricky happens there, it makes spectators suspicious when they get taken out of frame (even with some form of justification). Actually this suspicion is the principle at work behind the old Two In The Hand And One In The Pocket, isn't it?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Russell Hall's Vortex Principle, https://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S13001

Great for ditching "last" coins or shells without going near the pockets, and no jacket is required.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Here's a little dodge that can add just a bit more deception to the overt pocket ditch: do a spider vanish to the pocket.

In other words, perform the first part of the spider vanish, but don't "vanish" the coin, just put it into your pocket (but don't let them see it going in) and tell them that the coin "will fly from my pocket, to my (let's say) left hand...and then to yours". Then mime that action.

Those who believe the coin went into your pocket will be amazed. The skeptics who didn't believe that you took the coin from the left hand in the first place will be really amazed. As you put the coin in your pocket, it's important to realize that you're pretending you're only pretending to put the coin in your pocket. That's not a typo, it's the rare and ellusive double-feint. Yay!
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
I like that Curtis, I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Shaun
Meshuggina
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Meshuggina
LOL...

Pretending to pretend to put it in your pocket...

I love it. I'm gonna have to play with that some other ways and see what I can come up with. I think that could really fry some of my more suspicious friends...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ditching a shell (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL