The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Tooty the Cockatiel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
My Great Uncle just passed away, and I was informed he had a pet cockatiel that no one wanted. So I asked for it. At first I was excited to get this bird into my act but then I heard he was 47 years old! I thought that was normal because don't most birds live to be really old? Since I have never had a cockatiel I looked them up on the internet and saw the life expectancy....... 16-25 years. WHAT??? Anyone know anything about age of a cockatiel, or why he lived so long?
Plus I hear he is very tempermental so he bites a lot and very hard. It's very hard to pick him up. With that said, would I be able to use him in my act? How?
Any tips on caring for a cockatiel, especially one like this?

Thanks,
Teed
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Teedpop - you will find many answers to your question here, I'm sure. From my experience, I used to work with two cockatiels long ago. They were brothers (from the same clutch). they were easy to work with at first. They were fun, and they would stick by me and ride my shoulder various times during the show. They would climb up my arm and just perch on my shoulder and even climb to my head every once in a while and steal the show. However, when they became 'of age' they began to get a little aggressive and bite (they needed a mate which I wasn't willing to do at the time). I ended up taking them out of the show because they were attracted to shiny things. Once they made their appearance, there was a lady in the audience with shiny earrings on, and one of the more aggressive cockatiels took flight and landed on her arm and began to climb her arm to her shoulder, and then started tugging at her earring pretty hard. While she wasn't upset, she was very startled and I retreived the cockatiel, but took several painful bites to my hand in the process. That is when I decided to eliminate the cockatiels from my show. That incident could have been lots worse if the cockatiel had bitten her during its struggle to retreive the earring. You do have an older bird, and the bird is going to have to get used to you, especially if the bird is 47 years old. I wouldn't recommend trying too fast with anything but getting to know the bird the best you can. They can be loud and squeal and twirp very loudly for attention. Mine used to twirp pretty loudly when they wanted something, or wanted attention. When I was home, I would leave their cage open and tey would fly to me and just sit on my shoulder for the duration of watching TV or eating (wear a shoulder towel for bird waste). They were cool birds though. when I would eat spaghettie, they would climb down my arm and to my plate and eat it as well. They loved bottle caps to play with, and other little things. They each had their own personality, but they did have sharp beaks and would bite every once in a while and draw blood.
Dave Womach has some good videos on training exotics, from small to large, so you may want to look into that. just don't get your hopes up into putting the bird into the show, as it may not happen, but if the bird is caged during the show, you may be sble to produce it that way, but take in mind, if the bird is not happy, your audience will know because it won't stop twirping.

-Alpha
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
47 would be an amazing age... I'd check with your vet to see if they tink that's right.

I have hookbills (parrot family) of many sizes and their life-span is roughly proportional to their size. The large hookbills (Macaws, Greys, Cockatoos, etc) all live more or less a human life span-- 50 to 100 years. The smaller ones, cockatiels,parakeets and such, tend to top out at about 25-30.

I suspect almost 50 for a cockatiel would be a record, which is why Im a bit doubtful that it is accurate.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
Tooty comes tommorow and I was wondering, is there anything I can do to make him feel better about the new environment? I have a dog but the vet said it would be okay if I kept them apart, until they get used to each other. My dog is so gentle she once picked up a mouse and carried it across the yard, and it was fine! It scurried away unharmed! Anywho, any tips on getting him settled in? What about his biting problem? I will talk more with the vet when he gets here, I am SO excited! Wish me luck with my new friend!

-A super excited Teed
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hey Teed. Best advice for now is, don't disturb him for a few days. Let him get used to your home. Take it REAL slow...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Tooty the Cockatiel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL