The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » PA/sound system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
cabin fever
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cabin fever
Searched the Café but I don't see the answer I'm looking for. Perhaps I'm missing it?

Looking for an all- in- one music/pa system for use at birthday parties that everybody likes.

Most importantly something for music where a push of the button cues in the music from an ipod?

Thanks.
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
I use an Anchor Explorer Pro..it's great for schools, libraries, and daycares (also birthday parties). It's about 20 pounds, and I play my iPod through mine every show. It has about 75-100 watts and can be run by plugging it into the wall or on the battery. Best sound system I have ever owned..and I've owned a bunch of them!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
The Happie amp is great, I also use a remote to control my ipod classic....I have few extra remotes if you're interested
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
zippy
View Profile
New user
PA
54 Posts

Profile of zippy
Hey Cabin Fever,
I second what Mike said. The Happie Amp would work great for you. I know Brian at BHappie Entertainment and is a good guy. He will answer all your questions.
Zippy
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
SRM Mackie 150 is 150 watts 3 inputs total weight 7 lbs retails for 250.00
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I use a MiPro for small birthday parties and groups of up to 200. Costs about $600. You can plug an iPod and a wireless mic into it. Wonderful rugged little system. Weighs about 7 pounds and fits in a small bag.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Would the happie amp be good for a school show in the auditorium?
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Before you buy, try to actually hear any system you're contemplating getting.

I was going to purchase a popular portable system that's heavily advertised (and even lauded in this thread) but after hearing a local magician use it at a show, I quickly changed my mind. Am now doing more research.

Take your time before sending anybody your money.
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
Mipro systems are compact, light and pack a punch. here is a link to a mipro systems video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hVrrNxjayI
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Think about your market, your budget, your audience and your method of operating it. But buy the best you can afford; the cheaper one's are pretty dire and really are poorer quality than a lot of ipod docks or cd-players.

As a Magician - I choose a 100W Messenger (£240 in 2008) with wifi mics(£250) that weighs 13kg so I can fly around the world with it to do shows for upto 300 people in schools, churches and halls. It has lasted well with barely a scratch after a lot of air-miles - I performed in 12 countries on 4 continents. (I bought this model after my church used its bigger brother for two years. It was fine but comes wheeled as it is so heavy.) More often than not, I just need to use one wi-fi mic and my ipod (remote) or sansadisc (5m wire) connected to their mixer desk. But the Messenger is always there in case.

As a Teacher -It does though lack 'punch' in my school hall but that is big!! (built to hold over 900) so I'm using a fixed 2450 system there with 4 speakers. And I'll have a sound tech (from a local theatre) operating it for big shows / assemblies.

In a smaller multi-media centre I'm buying this Champ after seeing it used for a couple of years at training events for 200+. http://www.onewayuk.com/product.php?id=467 It's 120W and can have an auxiliary speaker. It holds a battery so can operate outside for sports fixtures and carol services. It fits our needs and budget (£2000). It also comes in other versions with upto 3 wifi and two wired mics (speak to your supplier and see what he can deliver taht's not on the web or in a catalogue.)

Finally, if you are not sure what you need go and talk to an A/V shop that supplies travelling musicians/performers. In the UK, I just did a web-search and found a dozen within 50 miles who really knew the equipment.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quality of sound makes a huge difference, don't go by Watts alone....... you could get a megaphone that people could hear in a concert hall but they won't like it very much
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
This is a minefield. There are a zillion solutions to your sound. So, break down your requirements into pieces, and examine each one, and it's importance, then see if there are "all in one" gadgets that will work for you. For 99% of my work, I use a "Sound Ranger" amp which is good for an audience of up to 150. It includes a built-in radio mic, and has inputs for your iPod, a guitar, hand-held mic, and more. All in a small unit about 14"x7"x12".
The problem with this unit is the radio mic, which isn't great in some large venues. Although I can link it up to any PA system that is in place, and it's never actually failed me, I do also have a very expensive headset mic with radio transmitter.
More recently I've invested in a professional disco rig, which will pump out the volume for up to 1500 people, and has a load of extra features. My advice is to contact your local music store and tell them exactly what your needs are. Also search online for the multitude of options available.
As for using an iPod for your SFX and tracks, an iPod remote is very useful (in the UK about £20). I also have an Edirol "Sound Capture" unit, so I can record anything from cassettes, vocals, and CDs, and import the sound into my computer. Then I have a sound editing suite so I can edit any sounds and tracks I import.
It's quite a lot of stuff to investigate, but for a truly professional approach, I suggest you do a LOT of research before investing in any particular solution.
Doug Smile
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
I like the Fender Passport series.

Passport 150 Pro for most scenarios
http://www.fender.com/products/search.ph......deraudio

If your really looking for a school auditorium, I would move up to the 300 or 500.

Pay attention to the weight. Find them in person and lift them before purchasing.

Keith
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Can't speak highly enough of the Anchor Explorer Pro. I wouldn't use it for a small, livingroom birthday party, but for anything larger, it's the best. Not sure about smaller parties, I was lucky enough to get one of three iCue2 SoundBox PA units that Virtual Soundman produced before shutting down, and that's great for small parties up to about 100 people in outdoor settings.

Steve
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I use a Fender Passport 150, with a wireless clip on mic, and an ipod. It is big enough to do most jobs, yet light enough for me to carry, and pack into the back of my sports car.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
As long as we're on the subject, what about a microphone? I need a headset type and started looking but there are so many styles, types and price rangers I put it off. Now is as good as time as any to start the looking again. Any suggestions?
Life of Magic!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I can only use a lavaliere, because I do hat manipulation, I also juggle so I need both hands free, and most of all I don't think that I cauld perform with a thingy on my head.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
You can get microphones that they use in theatres that go around you ear that might work with hat juggling.
DA CAppo da12

Colin Dymond
http://www.aceofdiamonds.co.uk
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 17:06, kidshowvent wrote:
I use an Anchor Explorer Pro..it's great for schools, libraries, and daycares (also birthday parties). It's about 20 pounds, and I play my iPod through mine every show. It has about 75-100 watts and can be run by plugging it into the wall or on the battery. Best sound system I have ever owned..and I've owned a bunch of them!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com

Great advice Mark, I have a Anchor liberty, great!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Radio mics are great, but most require a bit of setting up, which can be a hassle. That's why I like my Sound Ranger amp with built-in radio mic. I simply switch the unit on, clip on the microphone, and I'm good to go.
My professional head mic requires me to plug in the transmitter, connect it to the amp, attach the aerials, and do a sound check. Lots more wires and time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » PA/sound system (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL