The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Chico and Rabbit in the hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of slydini
Would it be a wise decision to perform both Chico The Mindreader and A Rabbit in the hat puppet routine in the same show?
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I don't think so...unless it was an hour long. Too much of the same "feeling" stuff.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
One of the top children's performers in my area uses both in most every show he does with great success.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Quote:
On 2011-04-03 00:56, Jay Ward wrote:
One of the top children's performers in my area uses both in most every show he does with great success.

but that doesn't mean it would work for every-one especially as they are not vent routines. There are differences Chico is mind-reading/stapler and rabbit in the hat is balloons/unsuccessful magic tricks if you do things by the instructions. I think one important aspect is to make them your own.

Some people like John Kimmo or Cheeky Dog in the UK use multiple puppet routines in their acts very well. They have though got a lot of experience (over 25 years each), International Awards for being very good vents/magicians and an engaging/entertaining perspective. I've seen both perform and thoroughly enjoyed the shows.

Me - I've chosen to only use one puppet routine in a 45-minute birthday show - either the rabbit in the hat or Woof, Woof. If I do two 30-minute acts in the same venue then I'll use one in each.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Do rabbit early and finish w/chico
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
As someone who does several puppet bits in my show, I think you certainly can do more than one. If you've only done a 5min puppet routine in a 45min show then that's 40mins of magic, don't the kids get bored wwith that?
Of cource the answer is no because each of your magic tricks are so different! (are they?)

If you have a solid puppet routine, either with or without vent you can do more than one in your show. There are many Ventriloquists and puppeteers who can entertain the children for a full 45 mins without doing any magic.

Colin Dymond
http://www.aceofdiamonds.co.uk
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
None of my shows contains any magic..I start the show with a puppet and finish with a puppet. I do other vent novelties in the middle like baby cry, distant voice, etc. You can use more than one puppet, but you have to know how.

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Puppet routines make a great change of pace in a magic show. Of course, it all depends on how well you can animate your puppet, and how entertaining your routines are. Whilst "Chico" is Bill Abbott's routine, there are a multitude of "Rabbit in the Hat " routines....
Pretty much all my shows are 1 hour, so I do find that I like to include two puppet or vent routines....one about half way through, and one to finish.
Personally, I never include more than one hand puppet in a show, and more often I'll include two vent puppet routines rather than use the hand puppets. But hand puppets are a great way to introduce yourself to the genre, and I highly recommend any performer to consider the use of puppets.
We should all encourge Mark Wade to share more with us, as he is one of the most experienced vents and puppeteers in the World, and it's great to see his contributions here at the MC.
:banana:
slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of slydini
Thank you all for your very helpful posts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Chico and Rabbit in the hat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL