The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Strange show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I had one of the strangest - and toughest - gigs tonight. It was a fundraiser for a local youth group, and they were expecting 100 people at the local rugby club. The deal was they got a slightly reduced fee but they supplied the sound system.
I got a call from the organiser mid afternoon to tell me that the rugby club didn't have a sound system, but they were sure they could work something out. Would I be bringing my own microphone? I would.
I arrived and they told me that there was no problem as I had a microphone. I explained that it needed to be plugged into a sound system to work. My sound system was in a different city, an hour and a half away, because they told me I wouldn't need it. One of the guys volunteered to go home and fetch his CD player, if it would help. I suggested getting on the phone and getting in a local DJ, but somehow that suggestion was not acted upon. The next hour was spent trying to hook my microphone up to the surround sound system for the television in the club house. Three times I was announced, began the show, and realised the sound was not going to work. A hundred people were getting restless.
I wanted to go home. But after an hour, my patience finally ran out. I strapped an 8 watt waistband amplifier around my waist and stood on a chair so that people could hear me.
It was bloody hard work, but unbelievably one of the best shows of the year so far. It was two hours unamplified and without music, but they've booked me in again in a month's time. And this time they have promised a sound system!
Meanwhile I'll spend tomorrow sipping hot whiskies to try and rid myself of the hoarseness.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Lemon and honey are good for the throat. Add whiskey to it and you have a Hot Toddy.

I've learned to always bring my own sound system. Once I was promised a sound system. It consisted of one speaker mounted in a cardboard box! Even if they say they have something, unless I'm sure of the quality, I simply always bring my own.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Kraig, you are right. But I was taking the opportunity to have some work done on my system. An amp had blown, so it was not in the van like it should have been.
A lesson learnt!
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Sounds like you were professional and did the best you could. Sometimes the one show with the worst problems turns out to be the best. It paid off with the re-booking!
Life of Magic!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That's show business Tony... well done. And DM is totally right, you "should" always take your own system unless having a speaker strapped to you is a new act.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
This story brings me back some 30 years ago to The Lonach Gathering, which is a huge event held in Scotland for It's best pipebands.
It was the first year they had ever booked a rock/pop band. We arrived, and after looking at the hall we were booked to play in we asked where we could 'plug in'?
"Plug in?" asked the organiser.
It took several hours for the tractor to arrive with the requisite generators and by that time the band was truly pished. A horrendous night ensued.
Anyway, great story Tony. It made me LOL. Ta.
Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Strange show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL