The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Hooked-bill bird harnesses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am getting closer to using to using my cockatoo in my performances. I want to know more about hooked-bill bird harnesses. I have a few questions below before I purchase one:

1. Is a hooked-bill bird harness the same as a dove harness but bigger?

2. Can a hooked-bill bird tear up it's harness while inside of one?

3. Are all hooked-bill bird harnesses the same?

4. Who are all the suppliers of hooked-bill bird harnesses?

5. Is it easy to put all hooked-bill birds in a harness, or does it depend on the behavior of the bird?

6. Can a hooked-bill bird bite the performer while secured in a harness during performance?

7. Is a home made "Invisible Dove Harness" suitable for a hooked-bill bird?

8. Are all hooked-bill bird suppliers harness adjustable to fit the smallest cockatoo?, (a goffin).

9. Is anyone who purchased a hooked-bill harness willing to sell it?

10. What are all the pro and cons of all manufacture's hooked-bill harnesses.

I'm sorry, but I could not think of any thing else to ask? Smile
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Good Grief! Smile Mike, are you asking about general flight harnesses or stage harnesses for effects?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1137 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Looks like a production harness....
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-04-03 12:37, Skip Way wrote:
Good Grief! Smile Mike, are you asking about general flight harnesses or stage harnesses for effects?

I want to know about all the different types that are made. When I find out the details of each harness, I will figure out what fits my needs.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I have two flight harnesses for my Goffin. The first was the Avian Fashion Flight Suit (www.avianfashions.com) which is a combination harness and diaper. While my Goffin will wear it, I can tell that she isn't comfortable in it. The one I use most is the Aviator Flight Harness from http://www.trueloveaviary.com/avhale.html . Once it's on, my Goffin barely seems to notice it.

Getting the right size harness is important. If you have a question, call the folks at True Love Aviary (or your favorite supplier) and tell them the breed and weight of your bird. They'll be able to send you the right size.

Training her to wear the harnesses took time. I hung them on the outside of her cage the first week, began petting her with the folded harness as we watched TV together the second week, then slipped the harness over her head and back off like a game the third. By the fourth week, I was able to slip the harness over her head, fasten the buckle and take her out for a walk. Now that she understands that the harness means going outside, she dances when I pull it out.

At first she would chew on the harness or the leash, but I was always there to stop or distract her. The harness and leash show no visible damage from the few bouts of chewing. Very sturdy stuff. I NEVER leave her unattended in her harness for any length of time. It's very easy for her to get tangled in the leash and hurt herself.

These harnesses do not stop her from biting. During one of our walks, she was frightened by a hawk flying overhead and panicked. She bit my hand pretty severely as I calmed her down and cradled her in my arms.

The Avian Fashions Flight Suits are colorful body suits with a removable leash. The Aviator Harness leash is not removable. The Flight Suit has a small pouch for catching bird droppings - nice if you don't want a mess down the back of your shirt and my vet says she likes the design. I have one with a tuxedo print for show days.

The Aviator Harness comes with a long, flexible leash and you can buy a Flight Line - kind of like a dog run for flighted birds. A friend has one for his Scarlet Macaw and Umbrella Cockatoo. He and his wife will take the birds to the park and let them fly back and forth between them - perfectly safe and secured by the Harness and Flight Line. My Goffin hasn't tried to fly, yet. She's happy sitting on my shoulder as we stroll or drive.

I'd recommend trying the Aviator Harness first. Once your baby is comfortable wearing that, it will be much easier to get her to accept a Flight Suit, if the need arises. Hope this helps, Mike!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Good looking out Skip. I never knew a harness like that was made for a bird. Thanks.

Are there any more type of stage/production harnesses anyone knows about?
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Go with Pucks.... never really seen an invisible harness for the big guys, maybe once,,,, brett daniels when he did a parrot split, with that method the effect was ok, but depende on the first bird doing the absolute correct flying pattern. It was a gutsy move, but he did it. your best bet is puck harness, totally safe for any bird it is built for, puck just needs to know the bird breed and a few measurements. as far as the duty over the audience, if you do the proper dove flyer training, then with that methid, they will no do it over a crowd uue to the feeding schedule. break a wing!!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
So far I have Puck's ahead from all of your recommendations.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I have a Feather-Teather harness for pickles. This is his "walking" harness. he wears it when hes out in public. He basically tolerates it, though if I leave him alone with it he will unbuckle it Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
I have my never used puck's exotic bird harness for sale made for an umbrella cockatoo if you're interested PM me
DANSPERRY.COM
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
There ya go Mike,
Dan or Puck have what you're looking for..
Check out Joseph Gabriel also.

Bill
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
If you're going with the aviator harness for outdoors, be very careful! I've heard way too many stories of birds unsnapping the harness, or flying off with the leash attached and getting tangled in trees. If you're looking for a production "harness" to make the bird appear from a fountain of silks or similar, there are a lot of different versions.

Most professionals just make their own to fit their needs. There really isn't a single version that works the same. I made mine, you can see it's uses here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKnqwgjJHro

Hope this helps, even if only a little.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Awesome appearance, Dave!
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Thanks. :o) It's been a work in progress for a LONG time.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That was cool Dave.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Thanks. :o) I'm planning to sell them this coming Nov/Dec... Have made a few for guys so far to test the market, and I've been really happy with the response. Sorry... total plug there. hahaha
Libis
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Libis
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 09:41, Skip Way wrote:
I have two flight harnesses for my Goffin. The first was the Avian Fashion Flight Suit (www.avianfashions.com) which is a combination harness and diaper. While my Goffin will wear it, I can tell that she isn't comfortable in it.

I tried an Avian fashion flight suit once, too, for housekeeping purposes. The bird was very uncomfortable and generally unhappy so I stopped using it.
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
How 'bout the Aviator Harness?

http://www.trueloveaviary.com/avhale.html

The Good Bird Inc. YT channel has excellent advice on getting birds used to weaing harnesses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etKRisR7v......embedded
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Hooked-bill bird harnesses (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL