The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gypsy Balloon by Tony Clark ... a wonderful piece of magic! (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Has anyone in the UK got this and if so have you found a source for the thread? I have been to a couple of habidashery shops with no luck. I will probably end up ordering from Tony himself. I don't know if any dealers in the UK will stock the thread in the future there must be a call for it now.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
OK friends...I just split the Clark thread into half - very slowly - works like a charm and now I can perform twice as much this wonderful trick ; )
Best,
T
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
68 Posts

Profile of hpcman
I have purchased both the DVD and extra string site unseen. This is a complete bait and switch. The string uses to demonstrate on the video is not the string provides or sold as refill. When I asked the dealer if it was he himself was under the impresion that it was. The string provided is closer to dental floss. It does not look as good on stage to thin to be seen from the back of theater. You will see the balloon so you will understand the routine but will not see the string very well.If you are doing a birthday party show it's fine but there is a learning curve because the volume of string is not as on the video so it makes the prep a little more challenging to do the dirty work. I love this idea but would like the actual string to be made available, nothing is impossible to find.

Ben
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Again- 2.77mm super soft yarn- looks big like string and breaks beautifully like butter!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Wow, this thread has been seriously censored!!!! Here's to another thread destroyed by corruption and cover-ups. So much for magicians helping magicians when this site covers-up for those who are sponsors here.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 20:07, Rickybobby wrote:
I love this effect but I'm having a hard time breaking the thread that is supplied with the dvd. and when I do break it, my hands end up with a slight rope burn. This effect is very smooth in terms of rhythm, and I don't want to break that look by fumbling or having a hard time trying to break threads.

I will check out the thread suggested by gospel dan, but in the mean time, Does anyone have any other brands of thread they can suggest?

For some reason, I have had my posts deleted, and others as well for sharing good advice and information. I don't care to know why they were deleted. I think it's safe to know why they were deleted. All I did was provide information where to get basting thread. You can find basting thread by searching google. I recommend staying away from buying $30 spool of thread from Tony Clark because it's way over-priced, and as we have heard from many so far, his thread is hard to break. Many were not pleased with it.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
I think this is a great update to the Gypsy Thread......... so now it's in the shopping cart
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have been playing with Tony's string and also found it very difficult to break, so I untwist it before breaking, and it seems to break a bit easier. The "kite string" I got with the DVD, however, is obviously not the same stuff he uses.

I will probably experiment with the super soft yarn, however...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 10:54, ClintonMagus wrote:
I have been playing with Tony's string and also found it very difficult to break, ........ The "kite string" I got with the DVD, however, is obviously not the same stuff he uses.

For you it is "very difficult to break".
For me it is "impossible to break".

I advize everyone to FIRST search for string that breaks easy and THEN order the trick.
With the string that is delivered with the trick, it is impossible to do the trick as smoothly as the creator does.
I find that......
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 09:01, RNK wrote:
Again- 2.77mm super soft yarn- looks big like string and breaks beautifully like butter!

RNK

To add further to the description provided by RNK...get 'pure wool' yarn. I believe it usually comes in an 'off white' color. Very visible...parlour or stage....and like RNK said it breaks easily. I believe ...Bev Bergeron {?}...mentioned this on a VHS video tape. Remember those? Smile
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
I used this weekend,and had great reactions.I was working a fair, so you might have to be alittle more careful if outside.I got great reactions from the crowd, when I closed my shows with this.And I don't have any problems breaking the string,in fact I hand the pieces to the girl that I have on stage and I have her role them into a ball.Great effect!

Michael
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 19:23, RicHeka wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 09:01, RNK wrote:

RNK

To add further to the description provided by RNK...get 'pure wool' yarn. I believe it usually comes in an 'off white' color. Very visible...parlour or stage....and like RNK said it breaks easily. I believe ...Bev Bergeron {?}...mentioned this on a VHS video tape. Remember those? Smile

Yes I agree I got wool yarn and it works a treat.
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
I have found that by brining the string under the pinky and back up over the middle finger and using the middle finger as the point to break is so much easier and it makes beautiful snapping sound......

Give it a try....

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I have a few new questions for you guys working this routine.

1: Can you use the same balloon over and over again, re-gimmick it for multiple performances (so that you don't waste helium).

2: If you can re-gimmick a balloon multiple times, how long does the balloon last? 1 week, 3 weeks etc. I know it will be law of averages, but your best guess would be appreciated.

Steve
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
The balloon will only last about 6 -8 hours. It's a great giveaway, and I found helium tanks at walmart for $20.
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Steve, I think the balloon really should be given away.

Especially as there is nothing to find Smile
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Nice trick but a little pricy for essentially a 5 minute DVD I thought. $19.95 would have been spot on.

- agree that the inlcluded string is totally unworkable. Maybe Tony has got Hulk-strength fingers or something, I couldn't even break it.
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
219 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
Performed this for the first time New Year's Day. I agree with RNK. The response was great! Just the kind of mouth-dropping facial expressions (literally) magicians LOVE to see! As a pastor, I used this to illustrate a biblical truth for children (and adults). I do this regularly; however, this particular effect is SO VISUAL it is leaps and bounds beyond the original gypsy thread. The helium-filled balloon truly "raises" the quaint little gypsy thread routine to a stage-sized effect visible to a large audience.

As far as those having trouble breaking the thread, having read aceofhearts' suggestion, I walked into the congregation (church setting), and made my way from the front toward the back and had five different people (on the aisles) make the cuts with scissors. This involved a number of the members of "audience" and removed any question about whether the string was actually cut in multiple pieces. For me, this is actually stronger than breaking the thread myself.

Again, the effect played great, and I enjoyed performing it, too! It was definitely a Win/Win effect for me! It's so visual it truly is magical!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Making the cuts with scissors- what a great idea. I do agree that this would be much stronger than breaking the thread yourself. Thanks for sharing!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
To make helium balloons last much longer you could put stuff called Super High Float in it. You get that online from various balloon suppliers. I should last 3 or more days that way - maybe long enough for a weekend of gigs I'm guessing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gypsy Balloon by Tony Clark ... a wonderful piece of magic! (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL