The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gypsy Balloon by Tony Clark ... a wonderful piece of magic! (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magi51
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magi51
I recently got this and would recommend it to anyone. Its brilliant, classy, and magical.
Thanks for the recommendation for super high float. I'll be looking into that.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I must agree that the effect is very good and very magical. Very happy owner of this. Smile
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
I have just started practicing with this however I am having trouble keeping you know what inside the n••k of the balloon, I have turned it I••••e o•t as per the instruction but it keeps turning itself back again I have tried to make sure the neck is long enough. Has anyone else had this trouble and if so has a solution to it.
Thanks
Rowland
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Never had that trouble. Try making your b#$l a little bigger.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
I recently was privileged to see a performance of this effect by my good friend David..."Darkwing". My first thought as a magic enthusiest was, what a novel approach on the presentation of this effect. It seems almost an obvious next step in the evolution of the effect...wish I had thought of it! My hat's off to the magician who thought of taking it in a different direction. Maybe "Darkwing" will chime in on this, and, offer up his experience(s).

Thanks to all...Michael
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Rowland, I had the same trouble. I think it's the thread being too thin. I'm going to switch to a thick easy to break yarn - the thickness will help I bet. The thread it comes with is no good- you can't break it with your fingers anyway. I tried the glow gypsy thread sold by Penguin, it breaks easy but it's too thin.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Hi Dan thanks for your feedback I had a feeling that could be the problem, it is such a shame that there seems to be such a problem getting the right thread for it as it is a great trick..I am in the UK and I have tried loads of places to get the thread with no luck. I have found some that is easy to break but as you say it is thin. Anyone in the UK found any thread ? Would love to hear from you.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I was at a yarn shop today and found a good yarn that should work. It breaks easy and is thick and colorful. Just go to a yarn shop and have them help you find something good. they let me break a piece in the store to see if it's the right thing. It's a single ply wool.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2012-01-03 03:50, mralincoln wrote:
Performed this for the first time New Year's Day. I agree with RNK. The response was great! Just the kind of mouth-dropping facial expressions (literally) magicians LOVE to see! As a pastor, I used this to illustrate a biblical truth for children (and adults). I do this regularly; however, this particular effect is SO VISUAL it is leaps and bounds beyond the original gypsy thread. The helium-filled balloon truly "raises" the quaint little gypsy thread routine to a stage-sized effect visible to a large audience.

As far as those having trouble breaking the thread, having read aceofhearts' suggestion, I walked into the congregation (church setting), and made my way from the front toward the back and had five different people (on the aisles) make the cuts with scissors. This involved a number of the members of "audience" and removed any question about whether the string was actually cut in multiple pieces. For me, this is actually stronger than breaking the thread myself.

Again, the effect played great, and I enjoyed performing it, too! It was definitely a Win/Win effect for me! It's so visual it truly is magical!

Happy to hear this worked out for you. I too have found this to be very strong. Glade I could help

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
I was also at a yarn shop ,and went around trying to break different yarns. I have found one which I will try later, my only concern is whether it might go a bit wooly ( hope this makes sense) if it fits all the other criteria I am sure I can find away to stop it looking wooly Smile
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Ok just been and tried it and it works perfectly, looking forward to putting it in my show, if anyone in the uk needs any info on it please pm me.
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Hi Rowland, I have pm'd you re the thread but did you also solve the problem with the balloon n--k.

Barry
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Hi Barry yes the thread I pm'ed you about cured the problem, the problem is caused by the ball being too small
Lgmack
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Lgmack
Quote:
On 2012-02-03 09:19, rowland wrote:
I have just started practicing with this however I am having trouble keeping you know what inside the n••k of the balloon, I have turned it I••••e o•t as per the instruction but it keeps turning itself back again I have tried to make sure the neck is long enough. Has anyone else had this trouble and if so has a solution to it.
Thanks
Rowland

I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to fix it. I've tried making the balloon bigger still to no avail. Any suggestions? Maybe try different balloons? I'm out of Ideas..
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
For those of you who have had trouble breaking the thread that Tony Clark provides, he has added a small video to his website with some tips on breaking the thread.

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/......ct_id=86

I personally haven't had the issue or have had problems keeping the thread where it's supposed to be. Be sure and tie off the balloon as high as possible. Very nice routine and easy to modify for lots of different venues. I used it at a fund raiser for the Utah Foundation for the Blind and while breaking the thread into different pieces, talked about how everyone can help make the foundation work by listing different ways to help each time I broke the thread.

Mike
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 11:25, davidpaul$ wrote:
The "Dollar Store" sells all types of Mylar pre-filled helium balloons for, that's right, a dollar. That way you can pick a special occasion balloon or whatever for you show. It would probably look better than a standard balloon and reflect light better as well.
and the will last much longer than home blown balloons
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Anyone got any tips for how to prevent the ball untying prematurely?
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Hi trickychris,

I also came across this problem when learning.Its quite simple really , when you wrap the string round the bundle maybe 3 or 4 times you have to pull the string very tight on each wrap but particularly the last wrap so it bites the bundle.You will have no problem then.

Hope this helps, let me know.

Barry
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Would this work with glow thread?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 13:49, magicduro wrote:
Would this work with glow thread?

If you can easily break the thread I don't see why not.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gypsy Balloon by Tony Clark ... a wonderful piece of magic! (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL