The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Advice needed about thread work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
739 Posts

Profile of Roki
Could someone help with some advice about thread work . Most of my performing is done in seemingly impromptu situations. Particularly when out for the evening and usually without a jacket . Most of my magic will come in and out of my pockets .
What would you advise as the best way to keep thread safe , get it out quickly and put away again ? Particularly as I may only perform threadwork once in an evening .
I am planning to get the Fearson DVD , and would also really like to perform a spinning ring ,
and finally make my loops redundant!
So would an ITR be a good route for setting these up ? or perhaps small amounts of thread on cards ? What would you suggest ?
All help would be much appreciated.
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
I don't think Loops will ever be made obsolete by comparison to regular thread. They're both good for different effects, IMO. I usually walk around with a Fearson hookup, though with Loops, you don't have to worry as much about snagging. ITR, I would say, are GREAT for seemingly impromptu animations/levitations, as you can carry it on you, keep it tucked away until use, then clean up immediately after the effect. I simply don't like ITR because they're a pain, imo, to fix when they break, lol. What IT effects do you tend to perform regularly?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
For the casual and impromptu, I am also a proponent of the loops. Easy to wear, easy to access, easy to use, and totally undetectable. Plenty of mysteries you can perform with them. I've had waiters and waitresses totally disassembling their pens trying to finger out how I managed to make the levitate about the room. I've had fellow diners leave the table screaming as the silverware moved about. There are tons of impromptu things the loop can do.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
739 Posts

Profile of Roki
Hey Guys ! I wont take your loops away ! You are right of course they wont be redundant and I will continue to use them for a floating ring , moving light objects . But I break so many I would probably use thread for some effects that can use either . However this is not another loop thread !
Yehoshua : it seems you have the same breaking issues with itr as I do with loops ! I was hoping ITR would allow a quicker set up and clean up . Can you use an ITR with the Fearson hook up ?
To answer your question I have performed hover cards , haunted deck , floating bill in the past with fixed lengths of thread . I wish to start spinning rings as I said ,and coins .
The issue is the impromptu application as I said .
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Quote:
On 2011-04-12 22:32, Roki wrote:

Yehoshua : it seems you have the same breaking issues with itr as I do with loops ! I was hoping ITR would allow a quicker set up and clean up . Can you use an ITR with the Fearson hook up ?

Yes, you can use an ITR in conjunction with the Fearson Hook Up. I use my Tarantula with the Fearson Hook up and it works wonders. I would actually recommend the Tarantula as an ITR. It fits in the pocket nicely and is easy to access and get into the hookup very naturally. The only thing I have done differently was I unspooled
all of the thread off of the reel and replaced it with EVE which is Steve Fearsons Elactic Vectra Thread. This was just a personal preference but I believe his thread is superior to Mesika's IMO. Hope this helps.

Always in magic

-Bobby Smile
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
739 Posts

Profile of Roki
That's good to know . Thanks Bobby , I may give TLS a try as a friend has it sitting in his draw ( too much hastle for him ! ). I have had a lot of advice now to get an ITR ( which may include TLS ) and the vectra seems the most reliable thread ( Is there elastic and non-elastic ? ) possiblly on a Titan reel . Ease of attaching the ITR seems a key issue to be explored . The research continues .
Thanks to everyone for their opinions .
xenoguyglax
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of xenoguyglax
Is it possible to use the Fearson hook-up with an ITR, like the Titan? On balance I'd rather have the thread concealed in my breast pocket rather than in my hand (a la Tarantula)? Would locking and tension work for Hovering?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Advice needed about thread work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL