The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review from World Magic Shop » » Wizard Product Review 46 - 6-4-2011: (Dresscode, PSI Poker, Starlight, International Pocket Change) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3079 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
Didn't care to much for the sarcasm and condescendence toward that fellow at the end. Reminded me of something high schools kids would do if they had a video camera. If you are professional magicians be professional at all times, especially in front of the camera. Just not cool.

I was thouroughly confused by that segment because It didn't occur to me that they would do that to some one.

I hope that is not what was going on but It sure looks like it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
602 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
It was clear that neither Craig nor Dave intended to add Psi-Poker to their own acts. It appears that Craig's relatively high mark was based on his own lack of knowledge of poker and his assumption that people who understood the game would be impressed at how closely it followed the rules of Poker. Unfortunately, that assumption is unwarranted because it doesn't.

My vote for WotW goes to International Pocket Change. While I am a big fan of Dresscode and think it is awesome at the right place and time, the clothing/style requirements just aren't going to work for most professional performers, so I think its "worker" potential is limited. Not so with IPC.

I too was disappointed with the closing segment. While I could understand Craig and Dave finding the encounter amusing at first, it grew uncomfortable to watch as they strung him along until it was quite clear they were making fun of him. They've taken issue with how other performers treat people on the WPR. If you're going to do that, you need to walk the walk.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I’ll have to admit that I thought Craig’s reaction to Starlight was a tad odd. Mind you, I’m not saying that it was fake, but it certainly would not be the norm for this most obvious trick. I might very well be wrong in my assumption here, but this simply looks like some type of variation on the Hofzinser Transparent Card which is older than St. Peter! In my humble opinion, the first thing a person would do is to do the exact same thing that the other person did (in this case John) and to also hold it up to a light and try to see what he (John) did! Of course when that happens the trick is blown as he (Craig) would have also seen the 7 of Hearts. I remember years ago when I used to make gaffed card’s professionally that one person wanted me to make a few of these cards, but to have the name of Houdini appear on the card when it was held before a candle.

I was going to post about this yesterday, but I first wanted to watch the demo for it, which I just did today. Another demo that is totally misleading. Obviously the person who was asked to look at the card and reveal the card chosen by the other person was a stooge as he was never asked to hold the card up to a light source (which you MUST do), or for that matter, never told to do anything, and yet he named the card! Nor, does it ever say in the description of this trick that the card is held up to a light, but that the chosen assistant merely glances at the card and is then able to reveal the chosen card. God....demo’s like this really tick me off! Smile

Don’t get me wrong in that I feel the Hofzinser Transparent Card no longer has a place in magic as it certainly does. I’m simply taking issue with this particular handling of it as it would only be natural for the spectator, when given the opportunity to examine the card, that he or she would do the exact same thing that the other person was instructed to do, and hold it up to a light! Also, if I’m right, the same card must always be forced to match the gimmicked card. Obviously, in my opinion, this is a two thumbs down trick and should by no means even be given the slightest consideration for the WOTW. However, if by chance I’m wrong (and it certainly wouldn’t be the first time) in my assumption that this is simply a variation on the Hofzinser Transparent card by all means please let me know. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
126 Posts

Profile of magic soul
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 12:38, gaffed wrote:
I’ll have to admit that I thought Craig’s reaction to Starlight was a tad odd. Mind you, I’m not saying that it was fake, but it certainly would not be the norm for this most obvious trick. I might very well be wrong in my assumption here, but this simply looks like some type of variation on the Hofzinser Transparent Card which is older than St. Peter! In my humble opinion, the first thing a person would do is to do the exact same thing that the other person did (in this case John) and to also hold it up to a light and try to see what he (John) did! Of course when that happens the trick is blown as he (Craig) would have also seen the 7 of Hearts. I remember years ago when I used to make gaffed card’s professionally that one person wanted me to make a few of these cards, but to have the name of Houdini appear on the card when it was held before a candle.

I was going to post about this yesterday, but I first wanted to watch the demo for it, which I just did today. Another demo that is totally misleading. Obviously the person who was asked to look at the card and reveal the card chosen by the other person was a stooge as he was never asked to hold the card up to a light source (which you MUST do), or for that matter, never told to do anything, and yet he named the card! Nor, does it ever say in the description of this trick that the card is held up to a light, but that the chosen assistant merely glances at the card and is then able to reveal the chosen card. God....demo’s like this really tick me off! Smile

Don’t get me wrong in that I feel the Hofzinser Transparent Card no longer has a place in magic as it certainly does. I’m simply taking issue with this particular handling of it as it would only be natural for the spectator, when given the opportunity to examine the card, that he or she would do the exact same thing that the other person was instructed to do, and hold it up to a light! Also, if I’m right, the same card must always be forced to match the gimmicked card. Obviously, in my opinion, this is a two thumbs down trick and should by no means even be given the slightest consideration for the WOTW. However, if by chance I’m wrong (and it certainly wouldn’t be the first time) in my assumption that this is simply a variation on the Hofzinser Transparent card by all means please let me know. Smile
that's basically what I said above the see thru card I called it by hofzinser but I meant transparent card.
andy
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
266 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Starlight: That was my immediate reaction as well. I wanted him to hold the card up to the light... I don't know what happened there.

As for the ending, well, let's just say I've seen more respectful closers.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 15:16, magic soul wrote:
that's basically what I said above the see thru card I called it by hofzinser but I meant transparent card.

You did indeed, and it seems as though I missed your post in reference to the Hofzinser card. With that said, it would seem more likely than not that Starlight is nothing more than that, and in my opinion, a pitiful use of it.
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Craig and David, if you go to youtube, Calen has an awesome demo of Dresscode made for formal presentations. Unfortunately, no matter how much I post, no one can offer me more detailed instructions. To go from a dress shirt and tie to a new dress shirt and tie is incredible!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Wow...if the dress shirt and tie thing is possible, I may definitely look into that!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 16:58, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Wow...if the dress shirt and tie thing is possible, I may definitely look into that!

Supposedly it is although I still have no idea how. I've had it for a long time and never used it as I don't wear t-shirts with an over shirt. Being 64 I just don't find it quite appropriate, for me at least, to dress like that. If I remember correctly is that Calen said he would be putting up instructions on how this can be done with a dress shirt and tie a long time ago (which is why I purchased it), but so far.....nothing. I just keep forgetting to put mine up for sale. Other than that, I'll have to admit that it is a very strong looking effect, but unfortunately just not for me.
~Yogi Berra~

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Hmm...that's not good news. I watched the video and literally said "wow!" out loud when he turned back around, but if it's not practical or instructions haven't been provided I wouldn't be interested. I almost always perform in a suit and tie so the t-shirt aspect wasn't as usable for me (interesting, but not fitting for the situations I work in.)
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 05:39, prestopresto wrote:
Quote:
Didn't care to much for the sarcasm and condescendence toward that fellow at the end. Reminded me of something high schools kids would do if they had a video camera. If you are professional magicians be professional at all times, especially in front of the camera. Just not cool.

I was thouroughly confused by that segment because It didn't occur to me that they would do that to some one.

Hi Guys,
I just thought that I would set the record straight. Elliot agreed to film that segment as a prank and we were going to release it on April 1st. David Penn is well known for his awesome April Fools pranks on friends and he does go to extreme lengths to obtain the required outcome. We had been dropping several hints on our media pages to promote this during March.

However, due to time constraints and other commitments, we were unable to get this up on April 1. Therefore we put it on the end of the show this week for a bit of light entertainment. By showing this lighthearted clip (which involved quite a few re-takes to generate the sequence required for the April Fool gag) we continue to create discussion within our community. We were going to award it WOW on 1st April just to see if you guys fell for it.

No Magicians or members of the public were harmed or had their feelings hurt during the fiming of this comedy sequence.

All the best
Jim
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
729 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 16:58, Andrew Zuber wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, there is a clip on Calen Morelli's youtube page that shows him magically changing his dress shirt and tie.

Quote:
On 2011-04-07 19:25, Jaz2005 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Guys,
I just thought that I would set the record straight. Elliot agreed to film that segment as a prank and we were going to release it on April 1st. David Penn is well known for his awesome April Fools pranks on friends and he does go to extreme lengths to obtain the required outcome. We had been dropping several hints on our media pages to promote this during March.

However, due to time constraints and other commitments, we were unable to get this up on April 1. Therefore we put it on the end of the show this week for a bit of light entertainment. By showing this lighthearted clip (which involved quite a few re-takes to generate the sequence required for the April Fool gag) we continue to create discussion within our community. We were going to award it WOW on 1st April just to see if you guys fell for it.

No Magicians or members of the public were harmed or had their feelings hurt during the fiming of this comedy sequence.

All the best
Jim

Good to hear that, sure fooled me.
Although I posted that I vote for Elliot's trick as WoW on Youtube. I did kinda feel bad after rewatching the clip.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
I Don't see all the fuss about 'Calen'..... 'Dresscode' is not as 'Practical' as many think.. besides the 'Unmotivated' Turn About you must do.. in a professional Walk Around Gig.. you would expose it to the other parts of the venue.... plus the 'Bigger Size Shirts' one must wear.. and the way you are left after the effect
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 19:25, Jaz2005 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Guys,

All the best
Jim

I'll take your word for it, but it looks like Elliot wasn't as in on the prank as you are leading us to believe.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
729 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Either that or Elliot is one d*mn good actor
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Awesome episode as always! Just wish iTunes would be updated as regularly as before Smile The last episode posted was Part 1 of Blackpool.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 23:37, yin_howe wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, there is a clip on Calen Morelli's youtube page that shows him magically changing his dress shirt and tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5SAZpAwcSw&feature=related
~Yogi Berra~

Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
It's interesting that in this episode we have one instance of them trying to pass off acting as reality (Craig's reaction to Starlight -- if he really didn't know what was going on there, he's completely unqualified to be offering reviews). And one instance of them trying to pass off reality as acting, (that weird thing at the end with Elliot -- if he really was "in on it" then he's the world's greatest actor).
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I think you guys continue to do an awesome and authentic job with your review show. Thank you for striving to find your own original voice in the magic world and provide us with this service while trying to entertain us. NOT an easy job!

I do believe Craig when he gets fooled on the set and often wish that I could recapture that childlike suspension of disbelief when I watch magic these days. I was not offended by the April fools prank, but was more puzzled than anything else. Sometimes timing IS everything. Perhaps an April Fools banner would have helped.

My only real concern is that Craig is still wearing that durn patterned sweater that should be banned from the show! I was truly disappointed he didn't pull a quick change DRESSCODE on it into something more palatable! Lol!

Love ya guys, mean it!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
In the shirt and tie dresscode I believe he ends with his shirt un-tucked, still looks cool, but I am not sure it meets the requirements for formal dress. I don't know if it is practical or effective to then proceed to tuck in your shirt by hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review from World Magic Shop » » Wizard Product Review 46 - 6-4-2011: (Dresscode, PSI Poker, Starlight, International Pocket Change) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL