The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 46 - 6-4-2011: (Dresscode, PSI Poker, Starlight, International Pocket Change) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
I was going to buy the PSI Poker trick, but after all the negative reviews and descriptions of it being totally crappy, not a chance.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I don’t believe anyone ever referred to it as being “crappy”. I think that perhaps there is some confusion mixed in with a bit of discrepancy as to how the game of poker (in this case: Texas Hold’em) is played. Some, or it seems most on this thread seem to be basing their respective views on it based upon how Craig performed it for David. Both of whom by the way know nothing about poker, so it turned out to be one of those cases of the blind leading the blind, and something to keep in mind. Obviously, not the best of all scenarios! I’m not a gambler by any stretch of the imagination, and card manipulation is by far from my strongest points, so this effect is definitely not for me. However, you might possibly get a better perspective on it by reading THIS THREAD which is solely dedicated to PSI Poker
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
It looks to me like a rick that will play very well, or very badly, depending on your audience and their familiarity with texas Holdem (which has been very popular in the US in gaming circles.)

I could see this killing in vegas and laying a giant egg in Millwaukee Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2011-04-10 14:06, gaffed wrote:
I don’t believe anyone ever referred to it as being “crappy”. I think that perhaps there is some confusion mixed in with a bit of discrepancy as to how the game of poker (in this case: Texas Hold’em) is played. Some, or it seems most on this thread seem to be basing their respective views on it based upon how Craig performed it for David. Both of whom by the way know nothing about poker, so it turned out to be one of those cases of the blind leading the blind, and something to keep in mind. Obviously, not the best of all scenarios! I’m not a gambler by any stretch of the imagination, and card manipulation is by far from my strongest points, so this effect is definitely not for me. However, you might possibly get a better perspective on it by reading THIS THREAD which is solely dedicated to PSI Poker

I read that thread and then Tom Frame's review over at Genii and the comments there, and I'm even more confused. Over at Genii both Ben and Tom recommend not doing this for people intimate with Texas Hold 'Em because the procedures differ in order to make the trick work. So, like some others, I'm wondering who this is for. Why authoritatively demo something for people that's not really the way it's played? And why do a long dealing trick for someone not interested in the premise behind the dealing?
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
It sure looks like some guys in this thread are politely saying that Psi Poker is, if not crappy, then certainly not something a guy should consider purchasing.

Plus the Wizard Review guys are saying exactly the same thing.

Just my own take on it, but at some point we've got to listen to the reviews and ignore the guy trying to sell us the trick.
Guys trying to sell their tricks on magic boards will say anything to make the sale, and then tell you you're an "idiot", and that you don't understand magic if it's a total piece of unusable junk on delivery.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Actually Artie, the Wizard Review gave it a positive review. It's just that a lot of the viewers of the review weren't impressed. Ben Harris puts out great stuff but nothing is for every body. The thing I like about the Wizard Review is that you get to learn a lot about a trick beyond a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Between the ad copy, the reviews, and the comments people should have enough information to decide if this trick is for them or not.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
747 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Though you felt you had to defend yourself Craig most people on here know what great magician you are and most people buy tricks on yours and david's say so,myself included.
you were fooled by xray a while back and since then I purchased it(on your reaction) and fooled many others.

just keep up the good work you 2.

ps not too many great ratings pls your bankrupting me.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
If its true that there are obvious discrepancies from the way TH is actually delat then I would tend to agree that's a weakness, since without a strong knowledge of TH this just isn't interesting.

To be fair that's also something that Craig and Dave made *very* clear to us that they couldn't really comment on themselves.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I’m in no way shape or form defending, and or saying that this (PSI Poker) is a good trick as I haven’t the faintest interest in it. It’s been years since I played any poker, and I’ve never played Texas Hold’em in my life albeit I’ve watched a few tournaments on T.V. as it’s a very popular game for the past several years or so. There was something right from the get go that bothered me about it when watching Craig perform it, but with all the laughs of neither of them knowing squat about poker I forgot what it was until I just recently watched it again.

The term “burning” a card is normally associated with Texas Hold’em and I’ve never seen it done with any other type of poker game. A card can be burned by the dealer before the next card is turned over. Emphasis on “card”, as in “singular” (ONE card). When Craig burned THREE cards right at the start I thought to myself; “What the hell is that all about….THREE cards?”, but then quickly forgot about it. Well, that is until I watched it again. Now, supposedly there is another version in which to use this effect (whatever it is), and also an “advanced” version to the poker effect. However there seems to be a major problem here and someone else more or less pointed out the same thing. If by chance you know nothing whatsoever about poker (Texas Hold’em), like Craig and David did; then what? It will be a total hodgepodge of nonsense followed by explanations from the magician that there should be no need for in ANY magic trick. Then on the other side of the coin; if one perhaps should know how to play Texas Hold’em, they’ll simply think to themselves; “What the hell is he doing?”, and or, “That is NOT how a hand of Texas Hold’em poker is dealt”.

Either way, it all seems a tad contrived and obviously not for me. Other than that, I have no idea what is contained in the instructions and perhaps it may all be thoroughly explained by Ben Harris, whom by the way, I have the utmost respect for. Smile
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
I have the effect, and the patter suggested by Ben Harris is to explain that this procedure is STANDARD in Texas Hold 'Em games -- even though anyone who actually plays Texas Hold 'Em will immediately know it isn't. Clearly, Ben recognizes that such an odd and contrived procedure must be motivated, but suggests motivating it in a way that will highlight it for poker players and strongly suggest the method. The "advanced" handling allows you to reveal the numerical value (not the suit) of the missing card, though the procedure is even more suspect and even Ben says he prefers the basic handling.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Dresscode looks like the WOTW... However although hi 9 Function dvd was fun to watch most if not all required to much set up to my liking...
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
WOTW?

WotW War of the Worlds (book by H.G. Wells)
WOTW Windows on the World (restaurant in the World Trade Center, New York)
WOTW Word of the Week
WOTW Women Of The World (website)
WOTW Way of the Warrior (video game)
WOTW Warriors of the World (online gaming group)
WOTW Worst of the Worst
WOTW Woodmen Of The World
WOTW ****** of the Week
WotW Writers of the Wind (website)
????
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Uh Worker of the Week
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-04-12 14:48, paisa23 wrote:
Dresscode looks like the WOTW... However although hi 9 Function dvd was fun to watch most if not all required to much set up to my liking...

I'm a tad confused here? Just what is Hi 9 Function?? I don't recall seeing anything by that name on this weeks episode of Wizard Product Review. Other than that, I'm sure most here know what is meant by WOTW. Smile
~Yogi Berra~

jtb
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of jtb
I think he meant to type 'his' (Calen Morelli's) Function 9, which is the name of his latest DVD.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-04-12 22:46, jtb wrote:
I think he meant to type 'his' (Calen Morelli's) Function 9, which is the name of his latest DVD.

Ah....OK. Obviously that connection to Calen's DVD just plain and simply flew over my head!
~Yogi Berra~

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL no worries and my mistake, I was just kind of refering to the high praise of his DVD and Dresscode.
Carl Rheuban
View Profile
New user
Malibu, California
90 Posts

Profile of Carl Rheuban
I agreed with Craig and Dave's raves of Function 9. Calen Morelli has an extraordinary creative mind and Dresscode can be a great worker under the correct circumstances.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 46 - 6-4-2011: (Dresscode, PSI Poker, Starlight, International Pocket Change) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL