The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » False cuts (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Bob is right on. I suggest you learn MANY various False Cuts then use what's best for you.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
While sharing information is timeless and valuable, several people are directly addressing a user who asked his question in April 2011, and does not appear to have posted at all in the past 20 months!
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
People value information in direct proportion to the effort they put into getting it.

-- Paul Chosse
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
The pass cut and Frank Thompson's false cut (supposedly Marlo's favorite) are my two favorites.
Angel1998
View Profile
Regular user
Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam
184 Posts

Profile of Angel1998
I think you just can search on Youtube with this keyword: "False Cut Tutorial" and you can watch many of them Smile
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
You don't need to learn a ton. (though I have over the years for the sheer fun of it) You just need to know a few good ones that can be used in different circumstances. There are already a lot of good references posted, so I won't post anymore. Try this, get one of the books that have been suggested and learn from it. Don't just skip to the false cut (even though that may be an important move for you to learn at this point) read through the whole book (not just the summary of the effects) and learn as many tricks and routines out of that one book as you can. Discard the stuff you don't like so much, but the very effort to learn will make you a more skilled magician (though not a better entertainer). I've done this with many of the books I own, I don't have an extensive library like some but of the books I have I know them well. You don't need a huge library, just a few good books to become a skilled magician.
I did this with both the Annotated Erdnase and The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, and learned many of the effects and moves in just those two books and my slight of hand abilities (not to mention my repetiore) increased tenfold.
Good luck to you in your quest for card mastery, and don't skimp on the effort because it's worth it.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2011, Justin W wrote:
Pass Cut

If you don't know what I'm talking about by the name, then take up box magic.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I feel compelled to comment on this.

Have some compassion. Life is short. We all have to start somewhere. Put yourself in the other person's shoes. How would it make you feel if somebody talked to you this way when all you were doing was asking a simple question?

Sure, I guess that the OP could have asked the question with a little more thought and courtesy, but perhaps he is young and anxious. Or maybe just having an "off" day. Who knows? From the looks of things, he's moved on.

Peace to all.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
There are 25 posts on this thread not counting yours. Of those 25 posts 13 of them had valuable advice on various false cuts that would work for the original poster. Only 4 of the posts have even a hint of negativity. I am making an assumption but those few negative posts can easily be attributed to the way the OP has phrased his post.

Those numbers show how helpful magicians and hobbyists alike can be on the Magic Café.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Triple cut by Jay ose is always the best cut for me
looks legit, and so deceptive.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, Loopback wrote:
There are 25 posts on this thread not counting yours. Of those 25 posts 13 of them had valuable advice on various false cuts that would work for the original poster. Only 4 of the posts have even a hint of negativity. I am making an assumption but those few negative posts can easily be attributed to the way the OP has phrased his post.

Those numbers show how helpful magicians and hobbyists alike can be on the Magic Café.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I just took exception with the post I quoted originally. It saddens me to see how, we as humans, sometimes treat each other. Recent health issues have caused things like this to become more of a focus lately. Life is short.

Peace.
FroBodine
View Profile
New user
Brentwood, CA (not the OJ one)
21 Posts

Profile of FroBodine
Gerry Griffin's triple false cut in the hands is wonderful. It can be found on his Complete Card Magic DVD set.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-DVD-Set-Com......rd+magic

It's a pretty comprehensive set of card effects. Some are kind of silly, a few misses, but the amount of greatness is well worth the price of less than $20.

Here, There and Everywhere, Do as I Do, You Ain't Gonna Believe What You're About to See are just a few of the favorites.

Plus, there is a whole DVD of just sleights and flourishes. Great stuff!
FroBodine
View Profile
New user
Brentwood, CA (not the OJ one)
21 Posts

Profile of FroBodine
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, MorrisCH wrote:
Triple cut by Jay ose is always the best cut for me
looks legit, and so deceptive.

Where might I find Jay's triple cut, please? What book or DVD is it in? I was unable to find any information with a quick Google search, but I didn't try too hard since I'm at work. :o)

Thanks!
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, FroBodine wrote:
Where might I find Jay's triple cut, please? What book or DVD is it in? I was unable to find any information with a quick Google search, but I didn't try too hard since I'm at work.

Jay Ose's False Cut was published in Close-Up Card Magic (1962) p. 93, by Harry Lorayne.

You can also find the sleight in John Bannon's Move Zero Vol. 1 DVD as well as Liam Montier's The False Cuts and Shuffles Project DVD.
gcrash
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of gcrash
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2012, ddyment wrote:
I have long been a proponent of fellow Canadian Mel Stover’s “Winnipeg False Cut”, described and illustrated in Frank Garcia’s 1972 book, Million Dollar Card Secrets, pp. 93–94. It’s also covered in Roberto Giobbi's Card College, but I prefer Garcia’s description.

As a performing mentalist, I can’t be seen exhibiting anything that looks even remotely like card-handling skill: everything has to appear completely ordinary and without suspicion. This cut is easy to do, looks exactly like a normal cutting of the pack, and has escaped detection in the forty years that I’ve been using it.

Thanks- I have not looked at that book for years. Dusted it off, and enjoyed reading it again.
Gary
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
Where might I find Jay's triple cut, please? What book or DVD is it in?

Learn about Denis Behr's amazing conjuring archive:

http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?search=jay+ose+cut

Explore it, and bookmark it!
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
I use Bobby Bernard's false Swing Cut more than any other. It's incredibly easy, and hugely deceptive even when you know how it works.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Years ago as a teen I used Prof. Hoffmann's "Fifth Method" described on p.26 of Modern Magic (MM). My memory is that it was never detected. It is a quite deceptive and appears to be a true quadruple cut. After returning to magic in retirement about three years ago I revisited that cut and couldn't remember how I used to do it since I couldn't execute it well as described in MM.

In case others may be interested, here is my alternate handling that I constructed recently. First, I don't use the pass as in MM. I openly undercut 3/4 of the deck to the bottom and hold a thumb break at the rear while holding deck in Biddle grip. The reason for 3/4 of the deck sis o you have enough cards for decent three piles from the lower portion. I then cut off the 4 packets (arranged as described in MM) by slightly placinf front of deck on the table, bending rear upward off the table and using my thumb to riffle off and release the packets. Finally reassemble the 4 packets as in MM.

The only negatives to this method IMO is that it is slightly angle sensitive due to the TB. But if the packets are dropped fairly smoothly and without hesitation the riffling with the thumb supplies enough cover to disguise the TB. The other negative is that it requires a table or surface.

Phil
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2012, vinsmagic wrote:
Charlie Millers false table cut or table pass
hope this is what you are looking for

http://youtu.be/T1dD9-SR1ac

vinny

This is a very deceptive and clever old move... just wonderfully done, Vinny. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:

Or, discover the techniques from their sources as you read them.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:

Or, discover the techniques from their sources as you read them.

Behr's site is a search engine. There's nothing wrong with objectively looking for an item. Not all learning has to be incidental.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » False cuts (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL