The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
He is great at sleight-of-hand. He can even fool magicians with his manipulations. I like him mostly for his humor. Watching him perform mentalism does not make it boring. He is also very knowledgable with the history of magic and mentalism.

He has good DVD's teaching mentalism. They could of been more professional. But I understand, he wants others to earn a higher level on their own.
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
252 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
Quote:
On 2002-04-28 19:54, Drewmcadam wrote:
...and "I'm just one of you" goes a long way over here.

But he is NOT one of us!!!

I love Max, and the reason why some people don't understand his character sometimes is obscure to me. Maybe he is 'too much' for earthlings like us!

...'Boo'
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Ken Weber makes exactly that point in Maximum Entertainment...Max never became the superstar that Kreskin or Dunninger became because he was too different from the common man.

Curt
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
But a man who likes professional wrestling, can't be half bad:)

I for one have learned a lot from watching him. That being said, I could see how some could be put off by his character and persona. But noone can please everyone.
emptycupmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of emptycupmagic
I saw Max perform at a convention in California about 25 years ago and haven't looked at magic the same way since (really).

He will be lecturing and performing in the stage show at NEMCON Saturday March 10th.
http://www.magicsam127.org/nemcon.htm
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Quote:
On 2007-02-24 10:26, emptycupmagic wrote:
I saw Max perform at a convention in California about 25 years ago and haven't looked at magic the same way since (really).

Agreed, He is an inspiration.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Max IMHO is the perfect mentalist. If I could wish to be someone else it would be Max Maven.
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quite short with weird hair?
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-02-24 15:05, TheNightBringer89 wrote

Agreed, He is an inspiration.

I got inspired into mentalism by watching his act.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3073 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
It's revealing to see the varying opinions about the same deservedly famous performer. Life, in a nutshell! Happens in music, sports, politics, etc., etc.

Max Maven was my first inspiration for doing Mentalism. And his work was truly awe-inspiring! No doubt he is a brilliant mind, and studied master of his craft. However, I have been put off by his occasional smugness and condescending attitude.

On the other hand, there are several well known mentalists who tip the scales a little on the other side (for my taste) - not terribly articulate, and can come across a little 'side-show barker.'

So, who's the "just right porridge" for this Goldi Locks???? Well, that would, hopefully be what I'm working on. After all, aren't we all just amalgams of our inspirations and experiences?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I think Max Maven (and Bob Cassidy too) were two major inspirations for many magicians entering into Mentalism.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
JKing
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
53 Posts

Profile of JKing
I saw Max's one man show in California last year, and I agree that he is a master showman. He has created and maintained a mysterious image, and the lay public really seems to enjoy what he does.

J
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2007-02-25 13:18, Stan Corrected wrote:

'side-show barker.'

The correct term is, "Outside Talker". Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL