The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How young were you when you started Street Performing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DiamondMagic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of DiamondMagic
My son Calin has been a Street Performer since he was only 2 years old. He has been qualified as the youngest straight jacket escapologist ... in the world.

So how young were you when you started?

I think Calin does a great job ... but then again I'm biased as I'm a performing mom.

Have a look at http://calin.diamondsmagic.net and let me know what you think.

It would be very interesting to hear what your thoughts are and how young you were when you started on the streets.

Click here to view attached image.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Maybe it's because it's 5:30 in the AM and I have up for 2 hours. But, when I went to the site you extoll haw good entertainere he and his sister are and say hat not only performs professionally but will be performing at the IBM conference. After that you then ask for sponsership & donations so he can go to the conference. Seems he should be able to make enough money to go plus he should be getting a stipend from IBM. Just sets off my alarms.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Who qualifies anyone to be an escapologist?
You know why don't act naive.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
A performer in Boulder was threatened with child labor laws when it was discovered he was allowing his kids to busk with him

Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
"The undisputed youngest straight jacket escapologist in the world" would maybe sound better.

I want to see the performing mom's video.

16 for a fee
39 for hat
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Wish I was as young as these guys when I started...sh*t, Id be so way ahead of the game by now. Paddy I've read and enjoyed your posts and replies over a time, and know what you mean. And yes your right, it was because you'd been up since 3.30. I have come to know these youngsters over a period of a couple of years, when the family come over to visit their Nan. I don't know what their ( and have no right to even imagine) circumstances are, but do know that they are not rolling in it, from busking a mall, or the beach a Glenelg. I also saw the joy that Calin had, when he found out that the IBM in Dallas Texas asked him to perform at the convention. Their mum, certainly has her hands full with these kids, and the time we spend on the same pitch, in Adelaide, I do get to hear how excited they are at even being asked to perform, at the IBM.

Im sure that his website (sheesh, I don't even have one, MagicNews Television, yes, but not my own performing website) is to let those that wish to donate can. I've had a look just now, and its none too obtrusive. Hey I would do the same thing if I had my own site, even at that age, and had his same opportunity, and didn't have the $.

Anyway, I digress, I was a late starter on the streets, and started at 41, or was it 42, maybe 43...the older I think it is, the more I get either worried or happy. Cant tell which. Oh and apparently 'child labour' laws are different between Boulder and Adelaide...

' Undisputed Youngest Straight Jacket Straight Jacket Escapologist in the World'...nice one. Great line.

Oh and apologies if anyone thinks Im being rude or over the top in defence of these youngsters. Its just that Ive seen them work, and can see how well they are looked after in the life that they have here in Adelaide.

James James
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Years ago, when asked, the Department of Labor insisted I couldn't work with my six year old, even when I cited exceptions for a family entertainment businesses. We were very particular about documenting home schooling, hours worked, etc.

A few weeks later, the person I spoke with called back, appologized and said we were legal. Today, my kid is a television executive, a department head, under thirty, no degree!
aka Mike Booth
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
"He has been qualified as the youngest straight jacket escapologist ... in the world." Give me a break...a kid that young is more of a novelty.Everyone watches because "hes cute" and nobody takes him serious.I think its an insult to REAL escapologist out there.

I saw a "Magic family" doing a show in an amusment in Kentucky a fews years ago.This guy had all his kids in the show.The girl was about 3 and he called here "Prinness something" The poor girl acted like a trained monkey on stage.I think parents doing this to really young kids is terrible.

Don
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hyperbole is a mainstay in magic (and entertaining in general). I remember in the late 50’s traveling with my uncle and hooking up with a carnival to work a 10-in-one. I was billed as the “youngest professional magician”. Heck I was 13 or 14 and passing for 7-8 (I am short!). I suspect that I wasn’t the youngest magician around and I know that I wasn’t all that professional either! I do know the guy running the 10-in-one put that on the banner so it must have been true, yes?

I was probably just as cute as this kid (I’m so vain!)!

Years later when I traveled as a free show for small fairs and dirt track races I billed myself as the “world’s greatest escape artist”. Now I am the “world’s oldest, still living, and still performing escapologist”! LOL!! None of which is totally true – ah the joys of hyperbole!

I don’t know anything about these kids or who conferred the title to them other than the mother. It’s not really all that important now is it? I’m glad that James knows that they are being properly cared for and seem to genuinely love what they are doing. Hope the youngster doesn’t burn out having started so young. I am reminded of Marjo (remember him?).

I do agree with Don that crowds probably stop and watch because they are a novelty. Kids can always stop a crowd. Stop a kid stop a crowd. I just think he has an unfair advantage over old pharts like me!

Hey Don, your building a crowd DVD truly helped me build crowds in difficult pitches! Good stuff that!!! NO hyperbole there!

Er…fairs and festivals at 18 or 19 (on the street but not really busking), actual street busking at 33 or so (Europe).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I agree with Paddy. This feels creepy, and it doesn't belong here imo.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I started passing the hat at about 14. wasent any good at it till some time later.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Hmmm, custome made strait jackets, I know some parants who could use one, (or more) of them. Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How young were you when you started Street Performing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL