The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 1st time for this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
In seventeen years full-time ya think just maybe you've seen it all...

Stopped for gas a mile from home on way to job 60 miles off in DC. Filled up, stuck key in ignition, and it refused to turn. Nothing would coax it into moving.

AAA sent a locksmith who pulled the ignition lock and popped in a new one. Said he did 25-30 a week in mini-vans.

Luckily mom had two twisters booked for a fairly small party and was very understanding when I was forty-five minutes late. And AAA picked up the first $100 under my membership.

But a blown ignition lock?!
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I have a part time job at an auto auction and we do get a few vehicles like this every now and then. If anyone ever has this happen to them, one can get it to eventually turn. You have to jiggle the key while turning the ignition at the same time. It will take a little time though, so be patient.
MrG
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MrG
Was this by chance a grand caravan with key fob? The same happened to me.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3916 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Happened to me one time in a rental car. It was one of those where you needed to press in on the brake before turning the key. While this is something I do 90% of the time, this time I didn't for some reason. Eventually I figured it out. Cause I went to college...Smile

On another car, I had to put the transmission in neutral and run it up and down through the gears a couple of times before the car was convinced it was in Park.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I had a full size Dodge pick up and twice the same thing happened to me. It was a automatic with the gear shift arm on the colum. My dad told me to try jiggling the gear shift lever while trying to turn the key. It did the trick.
Bob.
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Grand Caravan w 85K on it. Key fob to lock/unlock doors. And believe me: tried jiggling, re-inserting, turning the wheel, moving the shift arm, which wouldn't budge from 'park'. I even got a straw and tried blowing air into the key slot. Oh, and swearing. A lot of swearing.

My last vehicle was a Town & Country with 240K; never a problem w ignition lock.

If it had happened when I came out from the job, that would have been fine. But on the way...
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3916 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I hear you, Beowulf.

I would have been clawing at the dashboard. That's a BAAAAAAD feeling.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Makes one long for the days of cranks on
the front of the motorcars.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3089 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I drive an Infiniti with an electronic key (you can leave it in your pocket and start the ignition).
Came back to my car from in a downtown parking lot after a gig and.......nothing....dead...door wouldn't even open.
The car was only a year old, so I knew it couldn't be a dead battery in the key - seemed almost impossible.
Called Infiniti 24 hour line and she told me that I had an actual physical key hidden inside the electronic key (guess I should have been paying more attention to the guy's spiel, the day I picked the car up at the dealer). So, I get the car going with the physical key (much relieved), and drive home. Next day the car starts without a problem, using the electronic key!

No problem for weeks...until I'm in that exact same parking garage about a month later, and, you guessed it - the key wouldn't work!

e
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Eric--Had the dead-spot thing a couple of times with my T&C; had to get right up by a specific spot on the front side panel to get it to unlock the doors. On return trips to those locations, I get the same thing.

And my wife's car has that bit with a regular key inside the electronic key.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 1st time for this (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL