The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magicians of the Victorian Age (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BlackEye
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of BlackEye
Hi

I'm searching for everything magicial of the Victorian Age. Was there anything special for the magicians in this period of time? Which magicians left their marks then?

Thank you a lot for helping me
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Start with Charles Bertram, Alexander Herrmann and Compars Herrmann.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Also, find a copy of Milbourne Christopher's Panorama of Magic and his Illustrated History of Magic, both of which are now available in paperback.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Quote:
BlackEye wrote: I'm searching for everything magicial of the Victorian Age. Was there anything special for the magicians in this period of time? Which magicians left their marks then?

Bill gave you some good starting suggestions for performers and history books. Here are some other reference books that may be of interest:

Geoffrey Lamb's Victorian Magic (London, 1976). A must given your interests.

Thomas Sawyer's Victorian-Age Conjuring Books: A Guide for Collectors and Bibliographers (Santa Ana, CA, 1991). Probably only of interest if you decide you really want to delve deeply into this era.

Stephen Forrester's A Bibliography of Classic Authors in Magic and Related Arts (Calgary, 1993). Another good bibliographical resource for Victorian-era magic literature.

John Turner's Victorian Arena: The Performers. A Dictionary of British Circus Biography (Formby, England, 1995). Many magicians are listed in this guidebook.

Arprey Vere's Ancient and Modern Magic (London & New York, ca. 1880). A book which especially reflects Victorian-era conjuring.

Robert Wood's Victorian Delights (London, 1967). A wonderful book which reproduces advertising materials for all facets of life (including magicians); really gives you a flavor for life in that era.
jfkmagic
View Profile
New user
Gettysburg, Pa.
2 Posts

Profile of jfkmagic
Other Magicians from that era would have been John Wyman, Jr. and an Irish Magician by the name of Professor Kerrigan.
Magician, Actor and Author. Performing five nights a week at The Gettysburg Civil War Era Dinner Theater
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magicians of the Victorian Age (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL