The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sanada gimmick? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
I had taken for granted that the SG should best be used when holding/displaying something else like a purseframe other small object, so the Garrett/Fantasio idea of displaying an invisible "whatever" is really appealing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a dealer that stocks a good SG?
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2003-08-22 21:39, chappy wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a dealer that stocks a good SG?

Denny & Lee Magic Studio
http://www.dennymagic.com/
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Just curious...I haven't actually tried it but how can you get away hiding an egg with the Sanada gimmick? It doesn't bend or collapse as a silk or sponge ball would? I have trouble enough looking natural with a spongeball.-
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Sponge egg...

I sell SGs as well. $7 each + $1 postage.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Or egg skin...
tr
Smile
Tripwire
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Tripwire
These Sanada gimmicks go for around $8-$12 correct?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Yes, average retail is $10 + shipping.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Quote:
On 2003-08-17 01:19, Scott F. Guinn wrote:

Frank--if you're having trouble with the load of the balls at the end of PB&J, you're working too hard! Or you haven't sized the gimmick properly.

Scott...could you give more details on sizing the gimmick properly?
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I trimmed it to fit my hand but perhaps that is too small. I don't know. When I put 3 sponge balls in there, I have quite a bit of tension in my hand if they are to remain hidden. If I let up, they start wanting to spring out,etc.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

There is a tendency to overtrim. Doing so makes the hand appear more cramped and also makes it harder to hold in loads. The way to size it properly is to first trim the sides so that the gimmick is just very slightly wider than your fingers. I always trim the sharp corners at the bottom as well, as they are uncomfortable for me. Now place the gimmick in position and put the item(s) you will be vanishing/producing behind it. Go ahead and use the other hand to close the gimmick if need be. You want to trim off the least amount possible where you can still hold the loaded gimmick in place. If it's too long, it will "pop" off--either at the tips or, more often for me anyway, at the base of the fingers.

I have found it helpful to trim just a smidge at a time--no more than a sliver of say 1/32 of an inch. better to have to do that 3 or 4 times than to cut off a big chunk and have it be too much. You can slightly alter the curve of the gimmick (I haven't found this necessary) by aiming a (hair) blow dryer at it for about half a minute or so. I don't recommend hot water or a really hot blow dryer for more than half a minute, as you could end up warping the gimmick and melting it rather than making it pliable.

For the PB&J finale, as stated above, it is imperative that you use supersoft balls no larger than 1 and a half inch diameter. When you're placing the balls in the gimmick, don't just set them there--jam them down to the base so they're all squished up in a tiny bundle. After the 3rd ball, the thumb of the other hand presses the gimmick flat under cover of the false transfer.

Hope that helps clear up some things. I am not the world's foremost expert on this thing, but I have used it literally tens of thousands of times, and I'll be happy to offer any help and advice I can on it.
My Lybrary Page
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Thank you. I now have a much better feel of the process. In your instructions to PB and J you just say trim to fit and on the dvd you blew right past it with a brief mention if I remember (only watched it once so far...but watched it all!!). I was afraid I might go to far. I have never used a sanada before and am not yet comfortable with it. Time and practice I am sure. Tomorrow I will take knife in hand and have a go at it.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Scott,
After the false xfer, how long is your hand dirty? I cannot remember. Do you ditch it going for the purse frame in your pocket? If I remember correctly you do not. You end up holding the purse frame with the dirty hand. Is that correct?

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

It would be difficult for me to answer Franks' question in depth without tipping the method of the routine, but suffice to say, you are not "dirty" for long, and even when you are you do not appear to be, thanks to the SG (great initials, by the way!).

By the way, Barusky, I would recommend scissors as opposed to a knife.
My Lybrary Page
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
Following Greg's comments re. the egg this is something I do with a sponge ball also. I do a routine where I say, "I have this invisible ball but its rubbish! Look, it's invisible in this hand but as soon as I put it in my other hand its visible again. Back in my other hand and its invisible again, back to the other visible. Rubbish !" Give ball--with a disgusted sigh (if you can afford)--to spectator. I am quite clumsy but find it very easy in passing the "invisible" ball from one hand to another to release or reload the SG. Quite an amusing little routine which is pretty magical and the audience laughs whilst at the same time being pretty impressed. By the by, I only pass from one hand to the other twice (fairly quickly), because anything more would be boring or risky. Its a great gimmick. Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow,

I thought I knew all the hand gimmicks. Never heard of this one. Sanada Gimmick? I need to know more, but would rather be fooled by it first.

$8 - $10 is a good price for me. Now that the Sarasota and Ft. Myers Beach magic shops have closed forever, I have no way to see anything demo'ed, without driving to Miami (not), or Tampa (3 hrs).

Doug
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I personally don't like using the Sanada Gimmick.
I find it really hard to fit with my hand and I really don't have any use for it.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

It can be trimmed with a pair of scissors to fit your hand. It can be used to vanish, produce or switch any small flat or compressible item: silks, sponges, bank notes, billets, etc. By far one of the most useful devices ever created.
My Lybrary Page
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
The first time I saw Dan Garrett do a few sponge ball moves with it I thought "What's up with his right hand?"

The egg appearance that he did did make it look a little more natural though.

I did however think the idea was cool so I bought one, brought it home, and trimmed it. Now it seems to be doing a fine job collecting dust. Until all I've heard about Scott's sponge ball routine and all of his advice I assumed it was one of those things that I'd foolishly bought that's fallen by the way side.

Now I really think I should get it back out for another shot....

I still have the mental picture of Dan Garrett's deformed hand though.....scary..
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
I bought one after a Demonstration/Lecture by Sean Taylor (an Australian Magician) at Andrew Wimhurst's house.
I had absolutely no idea how he vanished and produced the sponge ball in the routine he did. It was so visual that I just had to have it.
I have played around with it for a while but can't quite get a feel for it. I have smallish hands so I had to trim it. I haven't altered it too much from the original shape, but I cropped it to a point were it feels comfortable in my hand.
I am still struggling with the vanish and production of the sponge ball that came with it.
Are there any demo videos of the SG in action? I think that I might invest in the DVD.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Produce an egg with a Sanada? I have purchased this gimmick with Scotts PB & J (great routine), and where it would benefit with an egg production is beyond me. Could someone PM me with a little more detail?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sanada gimmick? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL