The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Working an Event with Multiple Performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do a lot of events such as this every year. Most are festival style events and some are indoor events at places like malls etc. Any time you are sharing a stage with multiple performers, you should keep the following in mind:

- Be as prepared as you can be. If anything can be set up ahead of time, it will make things easier for you getting on and off the stage.

- Bring your own sound system and have it ready just in case. If you can contact the sound person in advance, that is always a great thing to do to see what is provided or if you need to get there earlier. If they have a sound system, bring your own mics as you are most comfortable with your own and can patch right into theirs.

- Make sure you go over any music and music cues with the sound people ahead of time. I always bring a tech sheet with me that covers this and I get there early enough to go over I with them. If not, I can always control the music myself through a wireless remote. Once again, asking ahead of time will save you a lot of hassle.

- Make darn sure that if you are to do 30 mins, you DO 30 mins. Not 25...not 35...30. It is not fair to other performers if you decide to just do your thing regardless of the time. Be a professional and know. I always have a timer on my table so I can set it and no at any point how much time I have left in my set.

- Ask if you can have an area near to the stage for set up of your act. This way you can be set ahead of time and the only thing you have to do is roll the table onto the stage and you are ready to run. Being prepared like this leaves for less down time.

- If you do not want downtime between the end of the first act and your start time, then you can 1) have preshow music played as you set up or 2) be miced ahead of time and start to talk as you come on stage. This keeps folks there at the stage and you can engage them easier.

- Always ask your client who is the main contact person running the stage. In many cases your client is not the one in charge of your stage area. Always best to ask upfront so you know who to look for when you get there and who you can contact ahead of time.

Hope these tips are of help to you as they have been for me over the years.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-04-13 18:59, Ken Dumm wrote:
For shows like this, I use a short countdown with music and funny announcements between the tracks of music. It's usually 4-5 minutes. The end of the countdown introduces me, so I don't have to wait for an organizer to bring me up to start the show. The music and the announcements lets folks know another show will be starting shortly, and lets me get my stuff up and ready to go. I use the announcements Tim Hannig put out a few years back. Here's the link:

http://www.behindthecurtaindvd.com/

Best $40 I've spent...

Ken

I make countdown announcements when performing at such events, too. That way, the audience is gathered when I perform. I may also do a warm-up, depending on the event.

I remember working one such event for the Postal Service and people filled the seats for my performance. The Elvis impersonator, who followed me, didn't know how to work such an event and quickly lost the audience when he went on. He was only singing to a couple of audience members, when I looked back to the stage from my parking space. The act has to be solid, or else the audience will feel free to walk away.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

Also, this is an indoor event. Wind shouldn't be an issue!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Wind may not be an issue, but ask about the stage set up. Sometimes if they build a stage indoors, the ceiling height becomes an issue for some folks. You may also want to ask this so you can know what your angles may be like or if folks can walk or stand behind you. Asking upfront will help you a great deal.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
mysterrio
View Profile
New user
USA
14 Posts

Profile of mysterrio
So - if this event is over...how did it go?
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 04:14, mysterrio wrote:
So - if this event is over...how did it go?

Event was yesterday. Thanks for asking.

I arrived an hour early to meet my contact and just scout around. Met with the first performer, a clown. Watched a bit of his show. Major FEEDBACK from the amp he was attempting to use (I later found out it was his own). He ended up inviting kids off the bleachers, and onto the floor in front of him. He did his show with NO audio - but his crowd was small, maybe 15 kids seated on the floor, with the adults and a few other kids sprinkled in the bleachers.

Also - during this show, I sat in the bleachers and chatted with a fellow local magician friend for a few minutes. We noticed that the DJ, seated 20ft from the clown performing, was playing some random kid's music track...WHILE the poor clown was performing with NO mic, NO audio!

I decided to go talk to the DJ and ask him to PLEASE not play ANY "background music" like that during my show. He said "no problem".

I also decided that I'd try my Gimcrac and use their wireless handheld.

I was advertised to perform from 11-11:30. The clown before me finished his act at 11:02 and I rolled my suitcase table in immediately and set up fast.

The radio DJs came up and asked if I had any intro they wanted me to use. I sadly, did not. This was something I had overlooked. Lesson learned.

I was set up and my show began by 11:08. Good crowd, bigger than the clown's. I took his idea and invited them down in front of me to sit on the floor.

The wireless handheld worked ok - but not great. volume was ok, but it would cut out every once in a while for a second or two. I just pushed through it. Even without the mic, my voice carrys pretty well and I was never inaudible to anyone.

Show itself went well, no issues there.

I had five routines planned total. But when I finished routine #3 and glanced at my timer and saw 11:26am, I dumped effect #4 and went right to my closer. I probably ended at 11:32am.

I think the radio station REALLY needs to schedule the entertainment differently. They advertise "Show 1: 10:30-11am, Show 2: 11am-11:30am, Show 3: 11:30-12pm, etc"

They need to work in a 10-15 minute gap between shows, so you don't get people showing up in the bleachers at 11:30am, and watching a magician set up his props for 5-7 minutes.

So all in all, not bad, good experience. I got a lot of radio mentions over the last few weeks (they mentioned all the performers by name) - I got more emails in my inbox today and over the last couple weeks, than I think I had in all of Feb/March! Good times!

Thanks again everyone, for the tips/advice.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1092 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
My cd that Ken talks about above is available at a different site now-- see my signature below.

Thanks!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have your CD Tim. The 3 I always play are "...we have your rubber band," "...she wants her clothes back," and "...we want to see what you look like." It always creates laughs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Working an Event with Multiple Performers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL