The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Video of the World's Best working the street... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
You can be the world's best performer and it still may not stop people on the streets or put more money in your hat....

Here is a link to a video of one of the world's best violinist, Joshua Bell performing in a N.Y. Subway. You will be amazed at what happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMyXfdk_Fp8&feature=share

This was a real boast for my ego as I remembered the many years performing on the streets wondering if my performance was good enough...it was not until years later that I realized my time as a street performer is what made me good...therefore providing me a very successful career as a professional magician.

I hope this video is an encouragement to you who are working the streets or as an atmosphere entertainer.
You could be the world's best and not know it...time will tell.
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
First off it was Washington D.C. not NYC but that dosen't matter.Second off this is like comparing apples to oranges.I music busker is just back ground music and they don't even try to "build a tip or edge".A magic busker has show with a beginning middle and end.People have to stop to watch a magic show but they can just listen to music as they walk by.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Don, I understand the difference between a street musician and one performing a show.

But I think you missed my point.

I was talking about the quality of the talent within the performer.
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The quality does not matter. Its like live elevator music unless you are directed by the performer that this is an event.
The worst performers make a lot of money. A street musician must know the dynamics of stopping a crowd.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
He got three people to stop and listen, one of whom seemed to know him. I noticed a number of folks dropped something (money?) in his open case when they passed. I wonder how much he made. Still, as Don says it was more background noise and not a show. Who cares about quality when they have a train to catch and might be late for work?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
The full Washington Post story will answer many questions:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con......23video1
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Steve, Don did understand your point. Yes the music was beautiful but he was selling apples. I have seen some really crappy magicians draw a good sized tip, nothing like Don or Bobby Maverick can draw but still enough to make $20 in 10 minutes. That's the oranges. Two totally different things, magic & music, the only thing they have in common is the letters M & C
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
This is like 4 years old...
Did you hear Obama won the election?
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
NO!
You know why don't act naive.
RPAYNE40S
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of RPAYNE40S
Yeah I heard.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
There was a Violin player whenI was a Kid who played in the subway in NYC, he was good, then one day I saw him on The tonight show with Johny Carson. turns out, he was first seat in the New York orcistra, he would play in the subway for the fun of it, as he loved to play.

now this guy in DC is not a busker, nore are any of the people who set up this experament. would any of you set up there? with doors betwen you and the out side, and between you and what looks like the main waiting area? the location was set up to fail.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm with Don on this one. This "experiment" was flawed from the beginning. Josh Bell is a talented artist and the premise was to see if talent alone is enough in this environment. The answer was "no" mostly because Josh and the Washington Post didn't factor in the "busker mentality" that even a poor performer can make money if he knows how to work a crowd.

We have advantage over Mr. Bell as most of us here know (or should know) what it takes to succeed on the streets, and the bottom line is it has very little to do with our technical abilities.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
In the strange world of the street we work in..
I guess the ability to Draw a crowd, hold,entertain & pitch for money
is a talent we have to various degrees..different skills for us all as seen in the video..
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"would any of you set up there? with doors betwen you and the out side, and between you and what looks like the main waiting area? the location was set up to fail."
Knowing where to set up is vital, indeed. "Location, Location, Location," as the property people say.
On the other hand, sometimes it's good to try new locations and see what happens. But, still, the foot traffic has to have a suitable amount of walkers, and appropriate pace to be prepared to stop and watch.
The presentation makes the magic.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
I wish they´d turn this one around,.. let me have his Heinz Hall stage in Pittsburgh, his hype,.. and a half hour with his audience. THEN we´d have a story.

,just woke up,
gallagher.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
That's a million dollar violin, btw...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Quote:
On 2011-04-14 21:17, The Great Zoobini wrote:
This is like 4 years old...
Did you hear Obama won the election?

"I still accept Hope but I don't want anymore Change!"
I wrote that the other day. Not sure if the audience is going to get the reference but maybe they won't give me pocket change?
Shinigami
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Shinigami
Quote:
On 2011-04-21 01:56, The Great Zoobini wrote:
That's a million dollar violin, btw...

Try $3.5 million Smile

I think you guys are looking at this wrong. The 'experiment' was not flawed, the whole point was too pick a very inconvenient location and see if people would notice a genius such as Joshua Bell in the midst of their extremely busy morning.

"In a banal setting at an inconvenient time, would beauty transcend?"

I don't know how many of you actually read the entire article, but if you do you should see that they knew exactly what they were doing.
Even if the experiment was flawed it's too different from magic busking to draw parallels and say that he's doing it wrong. I'd like to see how many of you could make $32.17 in 43 minutes from a trickle show in that location.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They probably did. They probably enjoyed the heck out of it while they were walking by. But they weren't in a position or a time when they could stop and enjoy the music for itself. I don't think a regular busker could have formed an audience out of that group either. (Of course, he would have realized it was a bad spot and not tried.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
So this guy tried busking and based on some educated observations by experienced buskers we've determined he was a ****ty busker. Who knows maybe it was his first time out. If someone with a bit of street experience gave him some pointers he might have made a bit more money or produced more transcendent experiences (I don't know what the kids want these days).

My wife, who is a paninst, on watching this comented that the music choice was also not very good. Not that it wasn't good music but that in terms of the context not so hot. His song was written for a certain time and inside a certain type of concert hall. The acustics of a subway station would make it sound wrong I think. It was like he was doing the musical equivalent of a zig zag lady illusion. I would be interested to see who people would respond to either modern music or jazz improvisation matching with the rythem of the subway station.

I guess it's context. Magic to me feels like it belongs on the street, that's why busking feels like a pure art. When you go to a theater and sit in the dark and watch lights shine on a stage you kind of expect to see dis-realtiy, but out in the world surrounded by trees and streets and cars and people, magic can take on a sense of the real.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Video of the World's Best working the street... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL