The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Where to get a real skull? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Good eve,

I tried finding a real skull, but I found out I don't have a good head for finding those things. Sorry...

Having handled a real skull, I have felt some plaster / some other item skulls that feel quite real. For the sake of ease and expense, you may want to look into buying a skull of a false kind and doctoring it to make it feel more real (sanding, graining, chemical, etc.). You'd be amaze what people can make real.

Malak
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
rondasue
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of rondasue
I'm with you on the plastic. Doctored up it works just fine. Els, for your animal skull, if you have time and ants, place the skull onto the top of the ant bed, come back in 4-6 weeks. very clean without looking bleached.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Take a look here...http://www.fiendishcuriosities.com/mainfiend.html
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
DutchTheGreat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of DutchTheGreat
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Treppaning - cool! Hey - you could do a Ramsey Cambell Insect from Shaggai effect....the little brain melding critters Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2003-08-12 16:05, BlakeBlair wrote:
One of the major inventions in trephine technology was the central spike, which was used to center the rotational movement, so that a better precision was achieved.

... and now we're using exactly the same idea in hole cutters (like for door locks) and Forstner bits!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jake Boone
View Profile
New user
Cottage Grove, OR
78 Posts

Profile of Jake Boone
I often browse the human skulls on eBay... do a search for "medical skull" (leave out the quotation marks) and you'll see lots of examples of the real McCoy, generally selling for somewhere between $90 and $150 US (more for good teeth or unusual attributes), though shipping and insurance often tacks on an extra $10-$20 or so.

However, they're all marked with "for medical use only" or words to that effect, and I have no idea how the laws on such purchases might be structured, so caveat emptor.

-- Jake
"Trust everyone... but cut the cards."
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
A nice crystal skull makes for a wonderful prop. and conversation piece and won't as easily offend/upset/scare people (but can!).
Just a suggestion . . .
-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I would love a crystal skull with a hinged jaw to do a Balsamo style Mayan (or was it Aztec) clicking oracle style thing
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
This may seem like a strange source, but if there is an old and dying fraternal organization in your city, you might ask them if they have a skull or skeleton they'd like to sell. These were often used 50-100 years ago in fraternal initiation ceremonies, but their use has been deprecated in recent years. With aging and declining memberships, they might be a good source.

Personal story: When I was a kid, my dad worked part-time as a janitor at the local library, which had two big meeting rooms, one of which was used by the local Masons for their weekly meetings. They stored a huge old, mysterious locked trunk in a closet there. One day I found that it was unlocked. Not knowing what mysterious items might lay inside, I cautiously lifted up the trunk in the dim closet light... and found myself staring right into the empty sockets of a human skeleton! I dropped the lid like a hot rock and scrambled out of there fast! I finally worked up the courage to go back and found that it was wired together, and figured out that it was probably used in their ceremonies. That experience sure made a great tale to tell around the schoolyard!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2006-05-24 08:19, Dr Spektor wrote:
I would love a crystal skull with a hinged jaw to do a Balsamo style Mayan (or was it Aztec) clicking oracle style thing

Just came accross this on ebay...
Item number: 6631616034
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......:EF:US:1
Cast Resin Crystal Skull with hinged jaw...Doesn't look too bad...
Gwyd
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Go to the cementery, do not forget bring your shovel. ;o)
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Geez, use your own!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
10001 thanks, Gwyd!
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2003-08-09 01:44, BlakeBlair wrote:
WOW Here is a freaky POST...

Where do I get a real Skull.?... You know just like we all saw in Anatomy Class... Im Not Looking for No Plastic recreation... but real BoNeS...

Tell me what you think and Where!

bb Smile

I hereby will my very own real skull to you but you'll have to wait a few years. We should have a skull swapping venue for bizarrists. We all need one and it seems that we all want a real one. And, Do they really bury coffins six feet down? That's a lot of digging. I suppose you could just dig the head end of the coffin up, but what if they turned it around before they lowered it. I don't know.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
"In a museum in Havana, they have two skulls of Christopher Columbus - one when he was a baby, and one when he was an old man." - Mark Twain
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
I'm thinking of getting the Balsamo or what is currently being marketed as one. A seance just wouldn't be one without a skull and the Balsamo looks antiqued. They should use real skulls for the price IMO.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Thanks to Gwyd above, I ordered a crystal skull with a nice moving hinge - to make a scaled down version of Balsamo along the lines of a rapping hand - see Trayf and other interesting things in Mind, Myth and Magick.... its not bad... not as great as the electric version and clicking... but the nice thing about the crystal skull is lighting it up with D'Lites at key magical moments!
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
My thirteen year old son says that perhaps a wife could be a good source of a human skull.... It's when your children say those things that make you realise you are a good influence on them. I could not be more proud of him!
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
LOL!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Where to get a real skull? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL