The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How Did He Make the Trim? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Looking at the photo below, does anyone know how the trim was made? Was it cut from "Tuff-Cote" and applied, or is it some sort of striping tape?

Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Why the rivets if he used tape? I personally would have used aluminum strips, but that wasn't the question.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I think he was talking about the decorative striping.. This has got to be a Chalet Prop.. though Johnny Gaughn used to use this same decoration back in the late 70's.

It was all hand painted!!! Good sign painters can do this type of scroll work in their sleep! My mom did it to our Corvair while my dad was at work one day... it looked really cool.. but certainly a product of it's time (this was around 72-73 or so)...
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
They used to make pinstriping tape with extra decorative scroll work corners that I used many times to decorate props.
I don't know if it is still made but you might try a discount auto supply place.
That is where I would start.
Good luck!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2439 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yes, John Gaughan had a guy come in to do all of his pin striping and he was amazing! He would mix his paints on an old yellow pages phone book, then do every line and scoll piece free hand. There is vinly pin striping material at Pep Boys and other auto parts stores but the real deal are the old guys that can free hand it.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
There are also several types of small paint bottles with pin striping applicator wheels on them avaiable, I'm not sure how good they work.

Recently on a builders' site of oriental props he mentioned using over 240 YARDS of painters tape to outline the various areas to be painted, and much of it was of the pin stripe type, it was only a small dove vanish unit. But beautiful.

I have also used the pin striping detail tape about 1/4" wide as is, for best results I have heard that putting a clear coat over it will protect it and stop it from lifting.

Blair
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I have a Beugler pin striper that is kind of a glorified bottle (metal tube) with interchangeable striping wheels. It works great for straight lines and gentle curves but I haven't mastered the intricate corner designs yet.

If you decide to have your prop professionally pin striped, check out a local cruise night or car show for car restorers/hot rodders and ask who did their pin striping. When you hire someone, have several pieces ready for decoration. A lot of the cost is getting them out to your place to begin with.

Ray, the striper that John Gaughan was probably Bob Bond. He is one of the best striping artists in So. California. Not only does he mix his paint on the yellow pages, but he has the most colorful Levis in the world!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
"Recently on a builders' site" I should have credited this as his work is incredible....it's Mr. Bakers'!

The decorating is fabulous.

B
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-04-25 14:36, Blair Marshall wrote:
"Recently on a builders' site" I should have credited this as his work is incredible....it's Mr. Bakers'!

The decorating is fabulous.

B

Thanks for that, Blair, but I wish I could do the kind of handpainted scrollwork like being described. I do a lot of pinstriping, and yes I go through a ton of tape in the process, but if it's anything more than a straight line or a few simple curves I have to resort to decal work and computer aided design. Those guys who free-hand this stuff blow my mind. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I know one guy who find a couple of old hippie type guys who could airbrush the pants off anyone. He could give them a couple of bucks and some supplies (non painting) and they would do a bang up job.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2439 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-04-25 13:54, AGMagic wrote:
Ray, the striper that John Gaughan was probably Bob Bond. He is one of the best striping artists in So. California. Not only does he mix his paint on the yellow pages, but he has the most colorful Levis in the world!

It actually was Bob... I wasn't sure if John wanted me giving out the source, and his Levis are only eclipsed by his car!
Ray Pierce
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Ray, It was a guess. Bob is an independant striper. I know his work through his striping of cars and non-magical props.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2439 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 14:27, AGMagic wrote:
Ray, It was a guess. Bob is an independant striper. I know his work through his striping of cars and non-magical props.

Yeah, you nailed it, he's pretty amazing!
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How Did He Make the Trim? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL