The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » when asked to do magic... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
When asked to do magic how do you prepare(palming, etc.) without looking like you're hiding something? When I initiate the magic I do fine because I'm already set but when asked unexpectedly I tend to fumble. Also, I'm usually wearing jeans or shorts so it's hard to reach in and say palm a coin without first taking it completely out. Any tips? Thanks Brian Smile I love these!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Brian:
First off, welcome to the Cafe! Secondly, it depends on the kind of magic you're doing... for instance, if you're into card magic, you can simply pull out the deck and start playing. Coins, likewise... pull out one, while palming the others...

As for the fumbling... why not designate pockets? You know.... cards go here, coins go here... that kind of stuff. I'm assuming you wouldn't start with simply making something appear out of nowhere... so this would give you the means to "load up" in front of the audience.

Once again, welcome!
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
I have a couple of business card effects always ready to go in my wallet. If I am asked to do something and I am not carrying any of my "stuff". I will generally do one of the business card effects and that will usually satisfy the request to do something.

-Marty
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
See also the "Magic...at a moment's notice"
category in this very same Magic Cafe!

--alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
owenwildboy
View Profile
New user
Owen Wilder
59 Posts

Profile of owenwildboy
It's always worth keeping stuff in your wallet. Look in "magic at a moments notice" for loads of great ideas.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I usually have a TT in my pocket with a silk in it, I just reach into my pocket casually, tell them "sure, I can do a trick for you" as I'm pretending to search for a quarter, I slip on my TT and I'm ready. Then I just say never mind, I'll show you a better trick. Smile
Blue Jockey
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
16 Posts

Profile of Blue Jockey
I usually carry a deck of cards on me, when I'm not at school. So if someone asks me to do a trick, out come the cards. I just do a very simple force on them, and then (on the spot) think of an unusual way to finish.

When I'm at school, I don't take anything (unless I'm planning to perform). But I always have a pen in my pencil case to vanish the cap Smile. (Oh yeah, and write with). Sometimes there are people playing cards (even better!) when I am asked to do something. I just borrow the cards, force a card on them, and think of an unusual way to present it. Sometimes I am given a coin. I just make it vanish, ad reappear again.You don't need to palm a card or anything.

Joe.
How fast do hotcakes sell?
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Don´t think about this problem - there are so many tricks that can be done without preparing! Do this stuf in a nice way and they´ll believe in magic Smile

Gawin

But as Aley said - to this point check the
Magic... at a moment's notice topic!
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1447 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
First of all, I do not do magic any occasion I am required. I sincerely believe that everything has a place to do. Such as a surgeon can not make an operation in the middle of the street Smile But Can do some emergency help Smile

If you are familiar with cards and coins, have TT in your pocket and a few mental tricks: then there you are... You can take anything out of your pocket. People are in the know that you are not perfoming a show but a mini demo... So if you take anything from your pocket and go on with the next trick as you may find convenient.

It is a casual act so try to be yourself...
:coffee: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
These posts are refreshing!

I especially like Tora's point here that every time and every place is not the same and need not be handled the same way. I think the most satisfying and effective moments for me are when "apples of gold" (the right effect) find "settings of silver" (the perfect moment), just like a word aptly spoken.

Here's an example: Yesterday as I began an effect someone named the Ace of Hearts, and I just happened to know it was on the bottom of the deck. This was a silver moment and made my gold apple look much better.

So as Tora suggests, I want to be aware of the conditions and expectations of the circumstances, using them to my favor. I want to be ready, too, for those special moments when someone wants to see an effect.

One more example: I had a friend that was discussing with a doorman whether he needed to pay the cover charge to come into a club since he had been doing some work there. Finally he laid down a bill, but as he began to walk off the bill flew back to him. I thought it was wonderful--an apple of gold in a setting of silver--even though I think I ended up having to pay his way in!

--alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Here's something you might want to try:

Walk around through your life, palming a coin or other object. Grab normal things, sign your checkbook, shake hands, with the coin palmed. This will do tremendous things at getting your hands used to doing normal, everyday things, while still palming an object. The next time you drink a soda or something, pick up the soda can with the hand that is doing the palming. Try this same concept with a TT.

You'll be amazed at how much stuff you can do, with coins palmed in your hands.

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Is it impolite to refuse to do a trick when asked and does this cause you to lose credibility with those asking?

Thanks for all the replies,

Brian Smile
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I wouldn't say it's impolite, unless they are paying of course. Smile

If the reason you are refusing is because you need time to prepare, try to carry around some impromptu magic items, especially if you find yourself in this situation often. The other thread people have referred to is a good start for you.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Quote:
On 2002-04-28 13:19, bg wrote:
Is it impolite to refuse to do a trick when asked and does this cause you to lose credibility with those asking?

I think it totally depends on where you are, who is asking, how they ask, and why they ask.

I have been asked to magic in the wrong venue: A solemn ceremony.

At the wrong time: When someone else is performing.

By the wrong person: The guy who just heckled me for an hour while performing.

The wrong reason: So they can "find out" how you do it.

And I smile and say: No.

That said, I will share an extremely valuable perfromance concept that is held dear to many professionals. "Know when you are done. And end there."

Nothing is worse in any performance, then when the performer just keeps going, (maybe encouraged by 1 or 2 people) and goes on, and on. Egged on by the obligation to perform, they begin to pull out those effects they haven't really mastered, and some they have literaly forgotten, perform. But the magic is gone, as soon as the audience interest is gone. Read your audience. And you should finish, right before they are done being entertained.

I guess I answered more questions than you asked. Lost interst? Smile OK, time for me to go!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
On 2002-04-28 13:19, bg wrote:

No.
Have a read back over BroDavid's post.
There are situations when you should always refuse.
There are situations when you simply can't regardless of how much you'd like to (for example, if you don't have any objects which are within your performance range to perform with.)

Going back to your question I have often found that rather than lose credibility it is possible to gain it.
Often people ask me to perform because they have heard about "this one trick".
If the reason you are asked to perform is because your reputation preceeds you, you can often enhance that reputation by not performing.
(And it will be all the more worth while to the spec who eventually gets to see the effect.)
Having said that, don't refuse to perform when the circumstances are right.

If you are worried about being seen as impolite then don't be impolite.
That may sound like a "no brainer" (I believe that's what you call it here in the States) but let me expand.
If you are unable or unwilling to perform don't say, "No, bug off!"
Be apologetic and simply tell them you'd rather not but that you will soon.
I've found people generally tend to be happy with this.

Hope this helps and that I haven't contradicted myself too much.
Stephen
:carrot: Smile Smile Smile
Hello.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I would suggest learning a few impromptu effects that utilize common objects either from some of the books or videos mentioned here.

As for my typical everyday "have on me" stuff...

I always have a few coins (quarters for a coins across, half dollar for a coin flurry etc). I also usually carry a ball point pen (bic or papermate) for Gregory Wilson's "Pen Recap", a tip and a packet containing B'Wave and 3 card monty and I always have Kolossal Killer in my wallet for a mind blowing impromptu mental effect!

Just keep reading and practicing different tricks until you become very comfortable with a few.

Well that's my 2 or 3 cents worth! In the meantime have a cool soda on me Smile

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Bg your original question "How do you prepare when asked to do magic?"

Wow, this is something that consumes my life. I have found by trial and error, what works for me. I always have certain things on me depending on the environment I expect to find myself in. These things are always kept in the same places if I am carrying them. I can not get ready for the day without thinking about where I may find myself and how I feel I would like to be prepared.

For instance: When I carry spare change, I always carry my spare change in my right front pocket. This consists of 4 quarters, 2 dimes, 2 nickles, and 3 pennies (always shiny pennies). In my left front I carry a Copper/Silver and a bent penny. With this setup I perform 4 differnt effects (many people here can perform many more, but I only have 4 I perform regularly)

The answer to your question is, you have to figure it out for yourself. It depends on what you can perform, where you can comfortably keep your props, and how you act naturally so that it doesn't seem like you are "loading up". Sorry I said a lot, but said nothing. It's a habit of mine sometimes. Smile Smile Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
I can't help thinking that it's a really good discipline to decide NOT to carry props with you, and learn how to do impromptu routines without any. It makes you concentrate on taking effects you would normally pass over and make them really special.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
I can't imagine not having something to do magic with on me. Whenever I leave the house, the BARE minimum is 1 deck of cards, some gaff cards in my wallet, a few bent pennies (for The Bent Penny trick from Modern Coin Magic by Bobo), and 2 beads on a string for a string penetration from Jeff McBride's lecture here (Baltimore, MD).
And that's if I only have 1 pocket (like w/ shorts)! Other times I carry much more.
I'm ALWAYS ready to go. Smile

And when I'm at school (college), I have several decks of cards, such as a Pop Eyed Popper for Tim Ellis's Deck-Stress trick and a marked deck (you can do amazing things w/ a marked deck if you first use a normal one showing your skill in handling the cards -- then just switch!). Plus some other things. Smile

There is a time and place for everything, yes. But if it's cool and you are asked -- do it! If it's some guy on the street who just wants to be amazed and doesn't care about a long impressive trick, do a double-lift & show the card, replaced on top, stick the top card in the middle of the deck, snap your fingers and show the top card.
Let them Smile and walk away. If someone is more sincere about seeing some ~magic~ (not just tricks you see), then you can do something more engaging.
Just my $.02 Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
Hello,
I suggest you learn impromtu magic in case you do get asked to do magic out of nowhere. There is a good book on this called Off the Cuff that should be available at any magic shop that will teach you to be ready when the time comes that you will be asked to perform magic out of nowhere. I have this movie and I enjoy it. It is easy too. I am only 13 years old you know.

Hope my words were of help.
Lance R. Wilson
:bigdance:
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » when asked to do magic... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL