The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sadowitz Name a Card Triumph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Sybilmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
275 Posts

Profile of Sybilmagic
I have heard that this is in Jerry's new book althogh the general outline of the trick is clear can anyone describe the speed of which this trick can be accomplished.
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
Sybilmagic, the trick can be found in Jerry Sadowitz'Cards On The Table. It use one or two shuffles plus a couple of cuts so it can be done fairly rapidly.

Hope it helps

P.S. You can buy a copy of the said book at Tannen.

Smile Smile
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Sybilmagic

As Yves says, "Name A Card Triumph" can be found in "Cards On The Table" which has just been re-published. I unresevedly recommend this book and not just because of "Name A Card...". This book is FULL of great magic from one of the best minds in card magic.

I have seen Jerry do this effect a few times and each time, the card is controlled and the deck shuffled within a few seconds. It will take work, but do not let that put you off. The effect that this can have on lay people (and magicians, for that matter) is fantastic.
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
I have seen Jerry use this countless times and it is mazing the breakneck speed he has accomplished. Jerrys name a card triumph is one of the few worthwhile additions to the classic effect.

Luke Jermay.
Sybilmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
275 Posts

Profile of Sybilmagic
Cheers guys thanks for the info looks like another chunk out of my bank account however the book does not seem to be too expensive!!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
I remember seeing Jerry do this in Halifax. He also did a standard Triumph and asked the audience to compare!

Paul.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Imagine performing the same effect but with the card never having been named. Obviously, this isn't feasible (i.e. invisible deck with a thought of, but never stated, selection) but I think you agree it would be twice as strong.

Naming the card belies the same sort of manipulation possible as having a card selected, lost, then found to the highly intellectualizing spectator. Once a card has been selected (physically) or named aloud, there is certain card control immediately possible, especially working with a memorized deck. Most spec's wouldn't think we'd take the time to memorize a deck, but some do.

An effect like the Triumph described above would be incredibly strong.
:)
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
I remember seeing Sadowitz do this on TV. I also remember him verbally abusing Darwin Ortiz for criticising the trick in Strong Magic. I think it is an incredible trick.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Do you really think it is weak to the spectators? I thought Darwin was wrong.

Lee
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Paul wrote:
"I remember seeing Jerry do this in Halifax. He also did a standard Triumph and asked the audience to compare! "

So Paul, how did it compare??? what were there comments (was it a laymen audience or magician audience???)

Let us know, as this would be good feedback.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Quote:
On 2003-08-11 05:01, Euan wrote:
Yes, It would be even stronger if the spectator did all the shuffling himself too Smile

--Euan

Culligula Triumph allow the spectators to
do the shuffling, with a little extra work
the card could also be named, but I don't
think this makes it stronger. In fact I think
the construction as it sits is really good.
They pick a card they never name, take the
deck and shuffle the cards
back to back, face to face... they do it
you spread through the deck showing its
mixed, they name the card and you spread
the cards revealing all cards are now
face up with one face down card... their card. pretty straight forward. Fast.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I don't think it is worth culling in a spectator shuffles the deck triumph. It is just much easier to switch decks, then break flow and cull the deck. I personally use a deck switch and my own handling for name a card.

I would like to hear Paul's comments,
Lee
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
then don't break flow. Kimlat's Cull is very good, and is part of the "flow". You show
the cards all mixed up then bam. they aren't.
that fast. that smooth.

But I do conceed it is not for everyone.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Yes, his triumph is really good but, the question is the Sadowitz triumph. I think the Sadowitz would be the best because, the spectator's have to think it is impossible to find their card in a shuffled deck. However, I think the Sadowitz triumph takes away from the reversal of the cards and puts it all on the named card. With some direction, it would have a much higher impact.

Lee
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
In my opinion, Jerry's routine is very strong to laymen, as well as to magicians.
Darwin was wrong this time.

I have been told Jerry has many HOT stuffs!
Check them out!

Magically Yours,
Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
I'm surprised someone like Darwin Ortiz who likes the 'skill tricks' doesn't like this one. Thought it would be right up his alley.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I think it would be a good idea for those people who insist on Darwin being wrong or jealous or whatever about the Named Triumph approach to carefully read again what Darwin actually wrote about it and WHY he thinks that the original Triumph plays stronger for LAYPEOPLE. He even provides a way to improve the Named Triumph plot.
The passage in question starts at page 61 in "Strong Magic".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sadowitz Name a Card Triumph (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL