The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Waste of time working with gaff card tricks. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
No, I don't feel that way
Opine Traveler
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Opine Traveler
And really, using a gimmick is no different for the purposes of this conversation than having a fifth card in a packet of supposed four or having a reversed card in the deck. If you're caught, you're caught. It's not the fault of the gimmick or the fifth card or the reversed card...it's something else.
Remotea
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Remotea
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 17:12, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I didn't have the money for gaffed cards (whatever gaffs were around way back then) so had no choice, had to use regular cards. How lucky can you get?

And, if I take out my own deck to do some stuff for my friends, they laugh. So, I never carry my own deck, or any gaffs.

Sums it up for me!
caruk
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of caruk
I saw a magician (whose name escapes me) perform Derek Dingle's "Too Many Cards" for David Letterman on The Late Show.
As soon as he turned over the last card to reveal the red five, David demanded to see it.
He handed it over with a smile on his face.
'Nuff said.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Variety is the spice of life.

Cheers,

J.Warrens
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 18:37, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
More a waste of time not to learn how to make some gaffs.
Charlie Kalish showed me a blank card he made using mounting tissue (and something else) that looked perfect even though it was forty years old.

Please have a look at Don England's videos for some examples of how gaffs can be used sensibly and keep in mind that Hofzinser was not afraid to use gaffs.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
There are more than enough excellent card tricks that don't require gaffs, so that one never has to to use them if they choose. But, for those like myself who enjoy them there's so many wonderful things you can do.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
"More a waste of time not to learn how to make some gaffs."

good point Jonathan

( I just tried to do the quote thing and I still cant figure it out.) haha
Remotea
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Remotea
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 19:28, J.Warrens wrote:
Variety is the spice of life.

Cheers,

J.Warrens

I could eat meat and potatoes everyday, (really!) granted a little salt and pepper never hurt. Smile
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
While I think that Mike Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte can be very entertaining, I never use it. I prefer regular 3 Card Monte or Monte Plus Plus type routines. I think sometimes we're kidding ourselves if we think that spectators don't wonder why we protect the corner of that card, even if they don't say anything.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 19:47, NicholasD wrote:
... I think sometimes we're kidding ourselves if we think that spectators don't wonder why we protect the corner of that card, even if they don't say anything.

That's a matter that sits between consistency and plain poor design in handling. If it smells like you're hiding something - they can probably smell it acutely.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 18:30, caruk wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 17:52, nonvpro wrote:
I have used Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte for years and have yet been asked to see the cards.

Yeah, right....

He probably is. I would bet he is right. I have used it for years and have never had that problem either. Michael Skinner used it for years and as far as I know never once was questioned on it either. Don't give the old "The spectators were just being polite then" In this case it's certainly not the case with myself nor was it with Michael.

Those that feel guilty or are the least bit nervous while using gaffed card(s) here and there will be caught 99.99% of the time. Those that are very sure of what they are doing and give no reason for anyone to suspect a thing won't and don't have to worry.

I don't use many gaffs at all I do use Skinner's Monte and one or two other things from time to time. I don't have any problems ever. Doesn't mean I couldn't or won't but after 30 years plus haven't seen it happen yet.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 20:55, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That's a matter that sits between consistency and plain poor design in handling.

I completely disagree. Never consider that all people are idiots or dumb.

Truth is that there are different categories of people. Some are amazed with obvious and 10 centuries old bold tricks. Some won't be impressed even by masters like Kosby.

Of course, the performer has a great importance. Just watch how Harry Lorayne can almost mesmerize audiences! But there are also people only interested about how the trick is done. They pay attention to every detail, stare at you closely. Whether your handling is excellent or poor has nothing to do with such people.

I fully agree with NicholasD. I mean, I have met many Magicians and some have puzzled me because their gullibility, their naivety. I've been demonstrated many stupid tricks (some were expensive!) that I've never understood how the Magician couldn't figure out by himself how obvious the trick was.

Magic is not only a question of handling, if the trick is poor, it's poor.

Besides, don't forget we are in 2011. A trick awesome in 1856 is probably ridiculous today. In the past centuries it was common to ask someone from the audience to come on stage and to make the fun out of him. Hard to do nowadays...

Sorry, but I really don't like to read that if a trick is bad or don't work it's because "bad handling". That's not necessarily the case. OK, the Magician is involved, but the audience too.

Just to illustrate. I have recently watched a lecture session from a very very good Magician. I won't name it because he's one of my favourite card man and what follows isn't nice. His lecture is, well, so-so... to be polite. The audience is mainly made up of 70 years old Magicians (I exaggerate hardly). Yet, they apparently find the lecture awesome! Me I find it very poor, to say the least. Why? Well, my idea is that those guys are mainly stuck in Erdnase's time and have probably never seen the 3 or 4 last generations guys. And trust me, the Magician is a myth, it has nothing to do with his handling.

Do you get my point?
caruk
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of caruk
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 18:33, Opine Traveler wrote:
Caruk,

Anyone who walks up to a table and rips out a gimmicked card trick right out of the gate deserves what he gets. As I mentioned, if you're doing these tricks in a way that excites those kinds of questions, you're doing something wrong. That something wrong may be not laying down a proper foundation for that effect first. If you do, by the time you get to that trick, you have the conviction you need. Another thing possibly wrong is in selecting effects that scream that some gimmickry is in play. Most gimmicks do require a sense of subtlety.

I don't often use gimmicked cards myself, but I have, and I've worked for the worst drunks in the world. Either you know how to manage them or you don't. I'm just sayin'. I can't write off an entire branch of card magic that way. If they're not for you, that's fine; just don't tell the rest of us that it's not possible.

But what would you do if they demanded to see the cards???
Busted!!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I got to see Hamman use that kind of gaff. Watching, I saw how his card handling was inconsistent between routines and sometimes within a routine. That did not stop me from exploring other ways of handling that gaff to find what serves. My feeling is that the basic approach to the monte with those cards is sound though perhaps not the "too perfect" yet "too precise" handling that's being offered.

What is your point?
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I meant, a legendary Magician, not a myth. Sorry for my English Smile.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Poor use of Gaffs can arouse audience's suspicion. Someone would grab the gaff.

Poor use of Sleights can arouse audience's suspicion. Someone would grab your hand which is palming a card.

Poor use of Principles can arouse audience's suspicion. Someone would see faces of the packet while he is separating the card in OOTW.

I have been very happy with my audiences who never grabbed my cards or hands.

Hideo Kato
caruk
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of caruk
Touche Kato San, touche....
oldngrey
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of oldngrey
Quote:
Yeah, right....

Well, I see that yours is the only point of view. OK.

To others who will keep an open mind: I had a lot of that "Let me see the cards..." (from drunks, sobers, nuns from Indiana...etc.) when I was new to performing. My skills with the audience have gotten better and the demand for my props has faded away. Also, not all effects with gimmicks end with the gimmick still in hand. Lately, I mix in the gaff stuff with the un/non/anti/gaff cards which evens things out in the spectator's eyes.
To avoid any confusion...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Oldngrey,

Hofzinser's work predates both erdnase (and rumor has it maybe harry too) but he managed to use gaffs where he saw fit including an entire pack of cards that were strung together during his opening routine. Not that I feel there's anything wrong with using a borrowed pack of cards to entertain as was championed in erdnase and then in the books Harry Loryane wrote and published.

No idea what to make not using gaffs for want of some basic audience management skills. Maybe some more time working on tricks as taught by Harry would build up that audience rapport and control skillset. Then, so long as you don't rub their noses in it while getting all fussy and then still be dirty if they want to look at the cards you will likely be fine using gaffs where they best serve your routines.

Taking the Skinner handling of the monte as an example, you could as well take the cards from a pack, and use the top of the pack as where you put down the cards, first one, then two, then insert a card halfway into the pack . Heck even an ATFUS could clean up that trick if you set it up so you have the deck in hand for the last transposition.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Waste of time working with gaff card tricks. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL