The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Inexpensive source for strobe lights? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I am looking for a source for either a single strobe or a string of strobe lights that I can use inside a "Shadow Box" to create the illusion of electrical sparking (like a downed power line). I think one or two well-placed lights might do the trick...but a string would work as well. Any ideas?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Strobes are pretty cheap; probably less than $20. You may find some good info here, though I can't vouch whether it's up to date or not. Check the bottom for "Related Pages" as well for additional info.

http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween......obe.html

You'll probably also want to synchronize a "Bzzt!" sound effect. Without knowing your current setup, I can't offer any suggestions as to the best way to set it up, though.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I'm not sure they are bright enough for your use, but the strobes from disposable cameras are very cheap and easily modified. Recently I saw the units for sale on line for a few dollars. Sorry I don't remember where but you can always remove one frome a used camera. The instructions for doing so are easily found with a Google search.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Be careful modifying strobes and camera flashes. They use a lot of power- the charge gets built up in capacitors until it's needed. My cursory googling revealed it's pretty easy to convert one into a taser, so they're not the kind of thing you want to accidentally discharge into your body.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Very true. A disposable camera strobe won't kill you if you get across the caps, but you'll wish you hadn't done it!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I bought a set of 4 strobes at Pep Boys automotive parts store. They were around $20 - $30 and have adjustable strobe settings and run on 12 volts. Each strobe is about 3/4" in diameter by 1/2" high. Very bright.

Dan
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thank you all...I DID, indeed, plan on the "bzzt" sound effect!

I am making my shadow box look like an electrical or nuclear frame, with black and yelliw stripes.

I REALLY wanted to use flash paper (and lots of it), but the fire marshall might get his panties in a bunch....
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Inexpensive source for strobe lights? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL