The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Why does hypnosis work? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think social compliance is part of hypnosis but not all. The need to comply is surely is a conditioned state as is the need to please others etc.

I don't think it explains the state on stage even where someone is conditioned to be highly suggestable. I think social compliance is part of the process to get them there. that's for stage.

Social compliance in an everyday situation is nothing more than conditioning by society. he need to fit in comply be loved wanted to please others is programmed into us at a very early age. The need to avoid the consequences eg: pain or negative states is what drives the compliance. Of course its unconscious and we aren't aware of it.

Its why I say or see the label social compliance as another way of looking at the same thing.

On stage we get the chance to see an exaggerated form out of an everyday context. But in reality that's how we are conditioned throughout life. its the same process just exaggerated.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
But here is where I and Ant most likely agree. I don't see anything abnormal with hypnosis its a normal everyday occurance. Not out of the ordinary. But on stage the context is out of the ordinary and we see how the human mind can be conditioned and put into a highly receptive or suggestible state or trance or condition of compliance whatever you want to call it.. But we are always in some kind of trance its nothining abnormal.

From Wickipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnosis#Definitions

Neuropsychology

Neurological imaging techniques provide no evidence of a neurological pattern that can be equated with a "hypnotic trance". Changes in brain activity have been found in some studies of highly responsive hypnotic subjects. These changes vary depending upon the type of suggestions being given.[90][91] However, what these results indicate is unclear. They may indicate that suggestions genuinely produce changes in perception or experience that are not simply a result of imagination. However, in normal circumstances without hypnosis, the brain regions associated with motion detection are activated both when motion is seen and when motion is imagined, without any changes in the subjects' perception or experience.[92] This may therefore indicate that highly suggestible hypnotic subjects are simply activating to a greater extent the areas of the brain used in imagination, without real perceptual changes<<<

If we conclude or agree that or even temprorarily take on the "model" that senses are constantly crossing over the threshold of consciousness and unconsciousness IE internal and external then its clear that a hallucination is noting more than internal senses or imagination projected outwards.

That happens to varying degrees throughout the day in everyday wakened state. Varying degrees being due to the amount of external and internal mix of senses and constructs engaged.

Therefore I would say that imagination is part of everyday perception you can't separate the two. And I can't see how measuring the brain activity in this way proves anything. Since I agree nothing abnormal is happening.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_state_of_consciousness

>>>>An altered state of consciousness (ASC),[1] also named altered state of mind, is any condition which is significantly different from a normal waking beta wave state. The expression was used as early as 1966 by Arnold M. Ludwig[2] and brought into common usage from 1969 by Charles Tart:[3][4] it describes induced changes in one's mental state, almost always temporary. A synonymous phrase is "altered state of awareness".

Altered states of consciousness can be associated with artistic creativity.[5] They also can be shared interpersonally and studied as a subject of sociological research.[6] <<<<<

Again if you close your eyes and relax almost immediately you go into Alpha state which is by definition an "alterd state". Again its nothing abnormal but an everyday occurance.

There is nothing mystical or supernatural or abnormal about hypnosis or trance or an altered state.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Why does hypnosis work? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL