The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ventriloquism...and Related Subjects by DeMar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Sorry to be posting so much lately - don't mean to usurp the boards!

Is anyone familiar with Bill DeMar's book "Ventriloquism...and Related Subjects"? It seems like a good reference even for those who are not beginners. Is that a correct assumption? How does it compare to Taylor Mason's "Idiots" book? Has anyone read Al Stevens' new book?

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best, most comprehensive single-volume book on vent?

Thanks!
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I have a book Bill was selling for years, and I have another one he did with someone else - I can't check now on those titles because all my vent books are all packed up.
It's been so long since I've looked at them anyway, I can't really comment.
I got that Idiot's book you mentioned. I didn't even get all the way through it, it was an effort to get through the couple sections I did get through, then I started skipping sections and reading just the little boxes and skimming, finally I gave up and put it away. But that's just me, other people rave about it.
I didn't know Al Stevens had done a book too.

I can't think of one comprehensive book for every aspect of the art, there's only one I recommend for learning the art, but something overall comprehensive, I personally don't think there is one out there that is the end all of all books on vent (but again, that's just my opinion).
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Quote:
On 2011-04-20 16:29, blueshawk1 wrote: I got that Idiot's book you mentioned. I didn't even get all the way through it, it was an effort to get through the couple sections I did get through, then I started skipping sections and reading just the little boxes and skimming, finally I gave up and put it away. But that's just me, other people rave about it.

I had a very similar experience with that book. While it has some great info, and people do seem to love it, I also found myself skipping around and never finishing it. However, I have to admit, I have found myself doing that with just about every vent book I've ever read. I am a language arts teacher and a voracious reader, but I asked my questions here, because I have never found a vent book that I'd consider a "keeper," one that I could go back to and use as a reference. Perhaps it's the nature of the art; as Jeff Dunham has said, learning vent is a relatively simple process, and the simpler the approach the better. I read an old article that he wrote where he spoke so highly of the book "Fun With Ventriloquism” by Alexander Van Rensselaer because it was so simple in its approach.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
It is. I own it. It was the first vent book I had as a kid. Winchell's was the second.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

The first and only vent book I had for a long time was Paul Stadelman's "Ventriloquism of Today".
Even now, with all the books that are available, all the ones I have in my little vent "library", if they were all gone and Paul's was the only one I had again, I'd still feel like it was the only one I really needed.

kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
There were many good books on vent in the past..Arthur Prince's "Whole Art of Ventriloquism"; Douglas Cragg's "ABC's of Ventriloquism" (later reprinted as "Ventriloquism From A-Z", and Edgar Bergen even had a book. Personally I liked Stadelman's "Ventriloquism of Today", and the Winchell book...plus a book called "Kidshow Ventriloquism" (sorry..that was shameless plug!:-) ).

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

"Kidshow Ventriloquism".....I think I've heard of that.... Smile
(I should have heard of it, I had three copies at one time before I thinned out my "library" to only one copy of each book.)

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Here's where I impress everybody: I actually have an acquaintance through correspondence with the author of "Kidshow Ventriloquism." I also speak with him on a chat board.

You may kiss my ring.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Oh, and KeithS...don't ever apologize for "usurping" the boards. I'll tell you the same thing I told Buzz when he started winnowing through past threads and reviving them and asking questions and posting scores of new queries: We love talking about this stuff, and it revitalizes the conversations.
I can't speak for everyone else here, only for myself...but I can make a good guess that they all feel pretty much the same about it.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Actually that was me you told that to because I asked if it was okay that I was bringing up old threads - and going through them all when I first signed on, I was really bringing up some old threads......

And I'll just kiss my own ring (if I actually wore one) - my copy of Kidshow Vent. is signed by the author. So there.

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
You're right! It WAS you! I've just gotten used to you bein' around and have started thinkin' of you as an old hand, Blue.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Well, I suppose that's better than what my girlfriend gets thinkin' of me...I know it's old something, but I don't think it's "hand"..... Smile

Back to the op - Keith, do you have "Ventriloquism of Today"?
If not, I have it as a PDF file I created, if you want me to send it to you, PM me your email address.

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Quote:
On 2011-04-21 10:25, Servante wrote:
Oh, and KeithS...don't ever apologize for "usurping" the boards ... We love talking about this stuff, and it revitalizes the conversations. I can't speak for everyone else here, only for myself...but I can make a good guess that they all feel pretty much the same about it.

Thanks for that, Phillip!

Well, based on everyone's recommendations here, I ordered Stadelman's "Ventriloquism of Today" from Lee Cornell. Looking forward to getting it.

Now, can anyone speak to how Wincell's book differs from Stadelman's? Thanks!
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I can't...because I don't own and hae never read Stadelman's. Got Winchell's. It's very good. Also got Winchell's DVD, which is also particularly good. If you're not careful, you're gonna have me buying Stadelman's just to see what's offered. Dang. Smile

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

You really should get it Philip - personally, I think it's THE book to have in any vent library.
And as I mentioned earlier, I also have it available as a PDF file for anyone who wants it. The book is better though, while my PDF file does have ALL the text, it does not have the many pictures and captions the book has which are also very interesting (although many of those pictures are on my Stadelman pages).

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ventriloquism...and Related Subjects by DeMar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL