The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Undertakers card trick - Darren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Okay - I did a search to see if this has already been discussed.

Please check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1iq9UBBVE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Darren Brown did OUT OF THIS WORLD with pictures of people - and at the end in one pile on the back of the cards - was written DEAD and
in the other pile Alive.

Perfect!!!!

I would love to know - do you all think (as I do) that he did it the normal OUT OF THIS WORLD trick but edited it to make the handling look much more simple and less complicated?

If there were no edits - how can this effect be done they way he did it?

Thanks!

Sean-Paul
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Even though the Café search engine is pretty weak these days, you'd have way better luck with your search spelling Derren with an "e" rather than an "a" (that's the way he spells it) Smile

There are quite a few threads already on this particular topic, here's one to get you going:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
A shorter version but beautifully eerie (and so easy to execute ) is Hampton Falls by Tony Chris .Well worth the money .
Regards Mark
E.O.I
William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, NV
486 Posts

Profile of William Draven
I prefer White Star myself.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Dan Baines Version "From Hell", Is a good one also.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
I use "White Star" for a "family" crowd, and "From Hell" for a more adult crowd.

Each trick, when mixed with the appropriate props as per the instructions, or the great ideas and props suggested on various online forums (many of those ideas here at the Café), are a couple of the most powerful sit-down parlor type effects with "cards" that it's possible to perform.

You'll want both effects, as there WILL be times when "From Hell" is simply too powerful to use, either with kids around or with an audience of..........well, perhaps religious or moral citizens that might not quite have the willingness to look at photos of Ripper victims.
White Star, although powerful and highlighting those who died on the Titanic, doesn't have the inherent issues surrounding effects featuring the handiwork of serial murderers.

Both of these effects get utter gasps, and dispatch spectators who will more than likely never forget the effect as you performed it for them.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
I have a great Out of This World/Undertaker/From Hell routine that I use for kids. I use 30 pictures of various Jedi characters from comics, magazines, or computer. I mark the back of half the pictures with a white light sabre(Jedi) and the other half with a red light sabre(Sith). The routine is basicaly a test if the Child can use the force to detect wich of the pictured jedi has turned to the dark side. I show them the 30 pictures and ask the child if he senses the light side or the dark side. At the end the child has managed to correctly guess the Sith and all of the Jedi.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2011-04-20 16:28, necroloid wrote:
I have a great Out of This World/Undertaker/From Hell routine that I use for kids. I use 30 pictures of various Jedi characters from comics, magazines, or computer. I mark the back of half the pictures with a white light sabre(Jedi) and the other half with a red light sabre(Sith). The routine is basicaly a test if the Child can use the force to detect wich of the pictured jedi has turned to the dark side. I show them the 30 pictures and ask the child if he senses the light side or the dark side. At the end the child has managed to correctly guess the Sith and all of the Jedi.

Inspired!

Jims White Star is great because of the detail ( which is all accurate) - I often spend a good 30 muns with the routine with my favourite table at a gig.
But my mainstay is "Hampton Falls". After learning Tony's routine I've used with white star cards, and I especially like his version of the 8 card 'wave effect.
Bottom line? Buy both!
[
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2011-04-20 16:28, necroloid wrote:

Smile Smile Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Okay. I do White Star too...and YES...it rocks.

BUT the difference...the KEY difference with this routine is that the spectator handled the cards. Not Derren.

An outstanding routine! Thank you for posting it Sean-Paul.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Okay - so I watched the White star routine - and I think I like it as well - because 8 cards go faster than a whole stack.

I don't know if I am bothered by the fact that the spectator does not touch the cards.

So do we all agree - that Darren Brown edited the heck out of his presentation and did the traditional OOTW effect - and cut out the messy second half of the presentation to offer a much direct impact?

on a side note - thru netflix you can get THE BEST OF KRESKIN, and I watched it the other night -and he did OOTW - and it went on WAY TOO LONG. Which is funny - that now I see Darren Brown do it - and he doesn't make the same mistake - the spectator in the moment was very much impressed - but I think he experienced something much different that what was aired. Those of you that have been on AGT know what that is like!
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Derren (with an "E", not an "A"!) has his own unique handlings for OOTW.

They certainly don't require any editing (see Devils Picturebook DVD's), but what he did on the TV show is unreleased and really shouldn't be analyzed here on the Café in terms of attempting to deduce the exact method used.
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Okay
I see white star on the Penguin sight - but that demo video shows even less than Derren Browns handling of the Alive/Dead picture trick.

Is there a video of the whole performance of White star available?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Undertakers card trick - Darren Brown (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL