The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » They just want to look (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
What do I do if this happens? Lets say I have a gimmick, and when I'm done, they want to look at it. What do I do? Just flat out say no? But then they think something is up. I would say the best possibility is saying no.

Thanks,

big k
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Or say, later, I'm going to perform this next trick. Improvise, when you fail at amazing and in the end are exposed you cease to be seen as a magician. You become a con man or trickster at best. The magic is happening in your audience. This means management is key!
Monte
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Monte
Learn how to manage an audience and this will very very rarely be a problem. Read up on Mike Close's material as he talks quite a bit about audience management. Smile
Monte, as in the 3 cards.
imagealter
View Profile
Regular user
Christopher Griffin
158 Posts

Profile of imagealter
I usually feed them my hands and say, "Here, check out the gimmick but be careful, I need these for my next trick"
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Big K,

Changing the effect isn't a bad idea, but I don’t think you have to change the way you do the effect, change the way you end the effect...

By giving it an ending that goes right into another effect, you help take the heat off the first effect. Cups and balls is an example of this you make a small ball disappear, and then reappear under a cup, the appearance takes the heat off of any "funny" business that you as a magician have to do!

Yes audience management is a “must learn” skill, but routineing can also help this problem.
Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Sometimes you can switch out a gimmicked object for a non-gimicked object. So then if they ask to examine the object it's not a big deal. This isn't always possible though.
eeesp
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
27 Posts

Profile of eeesp
I agree with both, remove the effect and if you want it in the show, wait untill you have the problem worked out. Then add it back.

Oh how many tricks I have in my magic drawer and in my head that I can not show because there is a risk I will get busted.
Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It all depends what it is. Sometimes I do the retention pass as I am handing it to them. And I look suprised it vanished.
ManfredJack
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ManfredJack
Smile
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Say: Ok, BUT, there is a $40 examination fee! Smile
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2003, big k wrote:
What do I do if this happens? Lets say I have a gimmick, and when I'm done, they want to look at it.

Several possible outs:
1) Get rid of the trick. The gimmick is suspicious, thus no matter what, people WILL think it's a gimmick. And they'll be right. And the impact of your trick is lessened.
2) before the end of the trick, start another one. When you're done with the gimmick, put it in your pocket, and continue the other trick. May or may not work depending on the effect/gimmick
3) Give it to them, and hope they don't find how it works.
4) Improve your magic so that they don't feel the need to see the gimmick.

Simply put, I personally think that in close up settings, if a gimmick is seen (so, not a TT) but can't be examined, then it's a waste of money.

P!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
In my Medieval camp wandering days I would have pouch full of small objects and dump them out into an availabel plate or basket.

Spectators would then hand me an object and I would perform with it, or ask for an object and they would hand it over.

"How many silver coin sin there? Any about the size of a walnut? Could I borrow it please.

I never mention "examine" "look at," etc. There is no suspicion since I am using "their" object.

There is a special thrill in being able to apparently do a magic effect with any object(s!

All you need is several methods for switch an object during the hand off and back to the basket.

CSB, C/S transo, 2 in hand, etc. all with no problem or suspicion.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
[Pause] "I said 'tah-dah.' Show's over." https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5WajC-U2SM&t=0m18s
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2016, funsway wrote:
In my Medieval camp wandering days I would have pouch full of small objects and dump them out into an available plate or basket.

Spectators would then hand me an object and I would perform with it, or ask for an object and they would hand it over.

"How many silver coin sin there? Any about the size of a walnut? Could I borrow it please.

I never mention "examine" "look at," etc. There is no suspicion since I am using "their" object.

There is a special thrill in being able to apparently do a magic effect with any object(s!

All you need is several methods for switch an object during the hand off and back to the basket.

CSB, C/S transo, 2 in hand, etc. all with no problem or suspicion.

Yes! Many years ago, the late Gen Grant published a mimeographed manuscript about this sort of thing. I think he called it the "Challenge Magic Act".

He "carried" a few "utility" props like a TT. It was a good "lesson" in knowing principles! He would do a trick with "any object" that was handed to him.

Martin Gardner's "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF IMPROMPTU MAGIC" had not been printed yet.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
This is obviously an ANCIENT thread!

See, the OP! A GIMMICK should never be seen by the audience!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
If it's okay I will steal that idea Funsaway
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
The perfect example of this is the linking rings. When I first started I was asked all the time to see them. But then I changed it you and started doing this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmNjD1oRp4w

Notice how the audience touches the rings a lot during the routine. They have no reason to want to examine them afterwards because they feel as if they have already examined them.

Now in your case, I would suggest finding a way to bring the heat off of the gimmick and more onto something else (lead them down the wrong path) so that eventually they will ask to "inspect the thing you lead them too which is nothing...

For example if you are working with a svengalli (another gimmick that is constantly asked to be examined) I always end with a card to impossible location. I place the deck into my pocket and cleanly show both hands empty. Then produce the card from somewhere impossible. Hand them the card and let them try to figure out how it got there. As icing on the cake I hen remove a different deck (that matches the svengalli) and the card case, put the deck in the case and hand everything to them.

There are several ways around it. Just depends on how you perform. It is like being heckled in a way. They will only really ask if you give them a reason to.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Like others have said. I never do a trick with. Gimmick unless it can be examined after or I can remove it. Such as a sh***
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
This is obviously an ANCIENT thread!

See, the OP! A GIMMICK should never be seen by the audience!

Kindly note: A gimmick is an UNSEEN device. It is, technically, a prop, but, should never be seen by the spectator.

Linking Rings, and "Sevengallis" are visible props with which a magician PERFORMS a TRICK.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Like others have said. I never do a trick with. Gimmick unless it can be examined after or I can remove it. Such as a sh***

Hi! Technically speaking, a sh*** is NOT A GIMMICK. A sh*** is a feke!

PM me, and, I'll explain the difference!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » They just want to look (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL