The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Late to the Cassidy party (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
OK, so I've been doing magic for 20 years, and mentalism for 8 or so. I've read over the years many posts exhorting the greatness of the good Dr. Bob's wares, but somehow had never got around to reading them. In retrospect I suspect it was because I was always looking for the 'new best thing' on the market, and as a beginner was put off by the more ballsy methodology favoured by Mr Cassidy and his predecessors, like Annemann et al. Obviously I never found the effort-free miracle I was looking for and my mindset was more magician than mentalist (although I do not wish to reopen THAT can of worms here).

Then, a year or so ago, partially inspired by Elliot's brilliant Switchcraft, I picked up a copy of The Art of Mentalism. The gutsy approach to methodology, with minimal props, and the balls to say "I'm a midreader", all things which had scared me in the past, finally started to chip away at the wood of my brain. Having tried some of the billet work and appreciated anew the genius of Bob's routining and consistency of approach, I feel like I have discovered the 'real' part of this art. The fact is, this stuff works, and if one can only muster the courage to overcome magician's guilt, it has so much more impact than some of the proppy mental magic I've read and performed in the past.

I am now a convert to the Cassidy way of thinking, and am gradually reading his other books, as bank account permits. So let me add my voice to the throng insisting that this stuff is one of the indispensible foundation stones of mentalism, as much for the effects as for the thinking and routining that has been honed to perfection over years of real performance. Thanks Dr Bob, and sorry for being so late to the party!

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
The Principia Mentalia series came out in the 90's and I had The Art of Mentalism 1 & 2 and I was HOOKED. So...welcome to Bob's WORLD. I learn something all the time from this man. I will be getting some more of his stuff soon myself.

You will NEVER go wrong with his resources or postings here at the Café.

-Scott M.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The Art of Mentalism was the first great book on mentalism I read. I still enjoy it - great stuff there and in his other works.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Great thing to know Merlin.

Support Bob´s work in the way that you can and start to perform with that approach.
He is a living legend for our art.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Yep, no doubt, Mr. Cassidy's knowledge is a wealth of experience and information, he writes very well and of course tons
of great materiel and insight.

I highly recommend "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" its a great read and you'll find yourself re-reading it quit often.

He's also a cool dude!!! Its great of Bob to share as he does.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Better late than sorry! Although his effects are brilliant it's his thinking behind them that sets him apart from the pack. He's also a phenomenal entertainer and maybe a bit crazy which makes him so much fun.

Steve
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2011-04-24 18:17, TonyB2009 wrote:
The Art of Mentalism was the first great book on mentalism I read. I still enjoy it - great stuff there and in his other works.

It was not the first I read, but it was one of the first to affect me. After reading that, Pychological Subtleties and Pure Effect, I began to appreciate Annemann, Corinda, and Waters (The real one).
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Better late than never. I was fortunate to meet and become friends with the Rt. Rev. Dr. Bob early in my serious foray into mentalism and although I have read and studied the work of many others, I remain one of his dedicated disciples and boosters as well as friends.
Dick Christian
todd fritz
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of todd fritz
Banachek, Richardson and Cassidy. My "holy trinity" of mentalism. I re-read their stuff every year.
All three are brilliant.
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Quote:
On 2011-04-24 21:50, Waters wrote:

It was not the first I read, but it was one of the first to affect me. After reading that, Pychological Subtleties and Pure Effect, I began to appreciate Annemann, Corinda, and Waters (The real one).

Thanks Sean for reminding me - I am certainly going to re-read MM&M now and revisit it as I have not delved into it for a long while.

Merlin
First do no harm...

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Finally someone who can bring some bottles to the party! Thanks for the nice kind words. Now get back to work! Smile
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Bottles indeed. What's your preferred tipple - a pack of cards or a Rubik's cube?
First do no harm...

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-04-25 15:42, merlin1979 wrote:
Bottles indeed. What's your preferred tipple - a pack of cards or a Rubik's cube?

Rum!
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Hi Bob:

Richard and I need to get in touch with you but you don't accept PMs. Please let me know how we can get in touch ASAP.

Thanks!

Jim
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

PMed you Jim.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-04-24 18:00, merlin1979 wrote:
OK, so I've been doing magic for 20 years, and mentalism for 8 or so. I've read over the years many posts exhorting the greatness of the good Dr. Bob's wares, but somehow had never got around to reading them. In retrospect I suspect it was because I was always looking for the 'new best thing' on the market, and as a beginner was put off by the more ballsy methodology favoured by Mr Cassidy and his predecessors, like Annemann et al. Obviously I never found the effort-free miracle I was looking for and my mindset was more magician than mentalist (although I do not wish to reopen THAT can of worms here).

Then, a year or so ago, partially inspired by Elliot's brilliant Switchcraft, I picked up a copy of The Art of Mentalism. The gutsy approach to methodology, with minimal props, and the balls to say "I'm a midreader", all things which had scared me in the past, finally started to chip away at the wood of my brain. Having tried some of the billet work and appreciated anew the genius of Bob's routining and consistency of approach, I feel like I have discovered the 'real' part of this art. The fact is, this stuff works, and if one can only muster the courage to overcome magician's guilt, it has so much more impact than some of the proppy mental magic I've read and performed in the past.

I am now a convert to the Cassidy way of thinking, and am gradually reading his other books, as bank account permits. So let me add my voice to the throng insisting that this stuff is one of the indispensible foundation stones of mentalism, as much for the effects as for the thinking and routining that has been honed to perfection over years of real performance. Thanks Dr Bob, and sorry for being so late to the party!

Merlin

Great post! very entertaining, true and actually helpful
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
The main question is "what did you do in mentalism during 8years without use billet?!"
Mental epic?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-04-24 18:00, merlin1979 wrote:

Merlin

Welcome to the party my friend!

Now if you can convert the rest of the Coventry Magic Circle, you'll have done a good days work!
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Welcome aboard the S.S Rumrunner Smile
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 22:21, Reuben Dunn wrote:

Welcome to the party my friend!

Now if you can convert the rest of the Coventry Magic Circle, you'll have done a good days work!

Reuben,

I'm living down South now so don't see the Coventry guys much. Hope you're well.

Merlin
First do no harm...

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Late to the Cassidy party (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL