The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » First Stab At A Folding Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
Hello All...

After several mishaps and winging it along the way to make it work, my first attempt at a magic-related wood working project is completed. I have a newfound respect for anyone who does this well!

Picture of my folding table is at: http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g476/brnichols1/

I'm hooked and looking forward to another project! Thanks to all for the wealth of information in this area that helps newbies like me.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Your first time project is known as a prototype. All the tweaks are needed until you have it doing as it should. My world is filled with prototypes. I have jokingly said that I live in the "House of 1001 Prototypes"! Almost every first shot at something new is a prototype. It is usually not until the second, third, etc. attempts that you move beyond the prototype phase.

That all being said, I love that table!! You have a good eye for pleasing design.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Looks good... reminds me of my first one. I used it for years. It was painted Chinese Green and had a huge "?" in white with a black outline and drop shadow. I was really proud of it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I'm with Michael. You do have a good eye for design. The best part for me is that you didn't go overboard and make the table scream "Look at me!!" The Art Deco cutaway at the bottom is the most oustanding feature, and you handled it just right imo.

How about some pix from the back and broken down too?
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Very nice. I agree with Chance about the bottom cutaway. It looks great. I like the contrast of woods and stains, subtle and effective. If you build another, you might re-think the rope handles. Perhaps some shop made wooden handles with a Deco design would be appropriate. I know good hardware is difficult to find but the rope just seems a bit of an afterthought.

Overall this is a GREAT piece for your first effort! Don't worry, it gets easier with experience...but then you want to build more difficult pieces.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Thanks guys...

Prototype is right! and good advice on the handles...You are right - I wasn't quite sure what to do, and didn't like the cut-out approach. I used gold rope which looks a little better than normal rope, but, it's still rope.

Chance - I just posted pics of the back and broken down. One of my mishaps was that I mis-measured the distance the hinges would cause the side panels to fold in, so it folds "almost flat!" with a slight overlap... oh well.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g476/brnichols1/

Thanks. Brian
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Anyone else catch the upside-down shoe print? LOL
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Yah...that's probably from me kicking it when it wouldn't fold flat Smile
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Very Nice, What kind of wood did you use?
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Mostly 1/2 inch Birch plywood, The top is a solid piece.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » First Stab At A Folding Table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL