The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Scare the hell out of you ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 12:21, dmkraig wrote:

E.A. Poe is like a startle: "Eew, that's shocking. The heart is under the floorboards."
H.P. Lovecraft is like a scare: "Okay, put on the coffee. I'm NOT going to sleep after reading THAT story!"

Tsk, tsk. Don't sell Mr. Poe short. He was a literary genius.

Edgar Allan Poe wrote incredibly structured tales of pure psychological terror . . . the stuff of recurring nightmares.

By comparison, H.P. Lovecraft's works were more like Harry Potter meets Tales from the Darkside.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 11:38, Matthew St. Cyr wrote:
Fear is such a subjective thing.....I think it really boils down to the people that you are performing for. What makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end might make you yawn.....and what makes you stay awake at night might make me giggle.

This is incredibly true.
It's often hard to imagine that what you personally are afraid of, doesn't scare everyone.
Many women have a fear of certain things that men don't.
(Based purely on my own anecdotal evidence.) Just hearing how other people think
tends to inspire me one way or another.

I think allot of the stand alone effects I enjoy, don't elicit too much of a fright.
More often than not, I go for a feeling of awe, or shock with a healthy dose of goosebumps.
When it comes to fear however, I like a good old fashion supernatural manifestation.
PK touches should indeed do the trick. But, for those who don't find spirits frightening...

Perhaps the bizarre that surrounds us in the real world might do it.
The lancet fluke's life cycle includes being ingested by an ant.
Then works Its way into a particular cluster of nerves thereby manipulating its host
night after night into climbing to the top of a blade of grass, waiting until dawn to be eaten.

Are we infected?
Is an invasion of similar parasites underway even as we speak?
http://www.corante.com/loom/archives/200......ters.php
Could such a parasite alter someones behavior?
Are you the only one watching from behind your eyes?
(Insert spectator as psychic demonstration here.)

Just thinking out loud.
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
718 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
What is the effect for "Frank's Ghost"?

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
254 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 16:55, jamiesalinas wrote:

Jamie

Take a look here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&10
or here: http://glisk.weebly.com/
To infinity, and beyond!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 16:55, jamiesalinas wrote:

Jamie

There is a post under Penny...It is an effect from Bill Montana and Nick Belleas...Do not want to give to much away in open forum!
Sounds totally awesome! There are a few members on Café, that use it ! One that will send shivers to the right people! lol

Skeleton was adding post, I would have not posted knowing !

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
Really? He only has......
763 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
Stolz, that's an awesome idea, with the parasites! I like that! I'll bet you could probably use the
"Do As I Do" type effect quite easily.....the spectator is perhaps unable to do as you do....perhaps because
there is something else controlling them? Smile

A lot of times I like to try to go for the "campfire story" feel. You know.....that creepy uneasy vibe that you get when you
hear a really creepy story.....you start to get the feeling that something may be watching you....just out of sight.

A good example of something that I've done (and surroundings play a big part of this) while performing at a house party.....
I was talking to several folks on the outside deck of the house. It was later in the evening....not sure exactly what time, but
we'll say about 11pm. Now as I said, I was on the back deck outside the house. This house was located out on the outskirts of town and was pretty well into the undeveloped part of town. The roads were barely paved and there weren't even any streetlights out there. Behind the house was nothing but deep dark woods that went on for god knows how long. There was a flood light that shined off the back of the house and the light pretty much ended right at the edge of the woods. Only the very outermost trees were vaguely illuminated. It's was actually pretty *** creepy.

Okay so now you know that setting. So here I am performing some "Spirit" effects for about 5 people on the back on the deck. The group was pretty responsive for the most part, but there was one girl who was really fighting me on the whole thing.

She said, "You don't really believe in all this crap do you? It's so dumb, ghosts aren't real."

Feeling a bit inspired by the surroundings, I said this "Absolutely, I do. There are unseen forces around us all the time....things that we do not understand. I am not asking you to believe, but I am asking you to keep an open mind."

Now as I was speaking to her, I swami'd a spirit message in my pocket.

I told her that we'd try something just her and I. I told just to keep an open mind and try to be as receptive as possible. She agreed.

I took out the business cards that I was using as make shift spirit slates and told her we would try an experiment with contacting the other side. I also used to make a simply ouija board on the back of a business card....with YES, NO, MAYBE and a numbers on it. Using a guitar pick (that belonged to Jimi Hendrix (That's a whole other story/effect!) as a planchette we set out on a totally impromptu seance. Her an I used a pinky finger each to touch the planchette.

I asked "Is there anyone that wishes to contact us"

YES

"Are you here with us now?"

YES

"Do you have a message for us?"\

YES

So I brought out the make shift spirit slates and the following message appeared scribbled:

I AM WATCHING FROM THE WOODS

When she saw that message she COMPLETELY freaked out! When I say freaked out, I mean FREAKED OUT! She immediately went back in the house and stayed near the bar the rest of the night. I turned to the rest of the group and said:

"Think about it. Here we stand with electric lights blazing, visible for anyone to see. Look out in those woods. What can you see? Nothing. There could be anyone or anything standing just out of sight. Looking at us right now. Watching....waiting."

The group was quiet for a moment and then one guy asked "Could you do some like card tricks or something that aren't scary?" Smile

The awesome thing about this is, these people went home and thought about this, and I"m willing to bet that a few of them may have lost sleep. But even more amazing is the fact that I actually creeped MYSELF out doing it! I couldn't stop thinking about it all night!

That right there is pure "Campfire" to me!
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Great story Mathew !
Here is one of my favorite lines, "Do yo believe in Ghost?" If they say yes , I reply "Good, because your about to meet one!".
And, if they say no , I reply "Good,because your about to meet one !" lol

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
"I AM WATCHING FROM THE WOODS" Excellent line!
Reminds me of one from Eugene Burger attributed to the Fox sisters.

Kate snapped her fingers and shouted into the empty space: "Here Mr Splitfoot, do as I do!"
Immediately after there occurred an identical number of raps.
Kate's mother, Mrs Fox was stunned. Was it really the devil himself?
Kate undaunted made the same motions again - but this time without any actual sounds.
Again an identical number of raps!
"Mother, it can see as well as hear!"

That last line gave me chills when I heard it.
Very campfire feel to that last line I think.
I remember reading "Scary stories to tell in the dark" by Alvin Schwartz.
For a children's book it's often quite eerie. Especially the illustrations.

Wicked shadows danced along the tree line, cast by the flickering light of the campfire.
We all leaned in closer listening to the haunting melody of the storyteller's voice.
In hushed tones, his words whispered through the crackling tongues of fire
and filled our imaginations with vivid scenes. When suddenly...
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
Really? He only has......
763 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark! I had all of those books! I loved reading them over and over again. I used to read them to my parents at night, trying to make my voice as spooky as possible.

I've been working for some time on this idea of what I've come to call "campfire magic".....which relies more on that "Scare" aspect of an effect.

I really like the idea and the feeling that the campfire stories invoke. There is something truly magical and unnerving about it.
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Scare the hell out of you ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL