The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder cups and balls (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Quote:
On May 4, 2011, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-04 18:24, Bill Palmer wrote:
Actually, Auke is the only person licensed to make (commercially) any of the Tommy Wonder products. If you can find the necessary gimmick, you can make the bag yourself. The instructions are in the Books of Wonder. You don't have to knit the bag yourself.

The official Tommy Wonder cups and balls sets are now for sale. You can see a set at the cups and balls museum, on the page of unusual cups, right below the sets Tommy sold years ago.

Let me be more specific. The Official Tommy Wonder Cups are for sale by Auke van Dokkum.

Sadly, Auke van Dokkum passed away in 2018, so I don't know of anyone who makes the sets now.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Auke, rest is soul was not the only one authorized to make any of Tommy Wonder products. The Wonder estate had a web page at one point, giving whom ever to reproduce
Tommy Wonder's effects as long as credit was given to Tommy. There was a clause in their permission stating that some items had been licensed and those items would have
to be discussed by other interested parties in making Wonder effects that were already licensed.

This was within a year of Tommy's passing, so the Estate may have changed handling of recreations of Tommys.

Jake Jr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On May 20, 2019, ekins wrote:
Http://www.tommywonder.nl/catalog/licence.php

Thank you, I had just found it last night and I was going to post it this morning, but you beat me to it.

Jake Jr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wow. We don't see that kind of generosity much anymore.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was one of two people appointed by Frank Bemelman to "police" the production of Tommy's material. The other was Max Maven. The reasoning behind these choices is interesting. The choice of Max was a no-brainer. Max knows more about who invented what than anyone else in the world. I was chosen for an entirely different reason. Basically, Tommy liked me.

The last time I saw him was at the Magic Circle Centenary. We sat and talked over coffee. I had met Tommy on many other occasions, and I was one of the few who didn't just discuss magic with him. I knew he was ill, but we didn't talk about it. We discussed happier things.

Imagine my surprise when Frank contacted me via email and told me that Tommy had asked that I be one of his "watchers."

There was a lot of flak over at the Genii Forum about this. One of the more outspoken nay-sayers basically demanded that Frank post this statement to the Genii Forum. There was a catch-22, though. Frank is not a magician, and therefore not actually qualified to be a member.

But Richard Kaufmann is a wise man. He gave Frank the opportunity to make a post to Genii Forum in which he posted his statement. Richard has always had a very strong stand against ripoff magic.

Now that Frank has basically released the material to the public, as far as production is concerned, my job is over. I was honored to be one of the watchers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I should also point out that AT THE TIME I MADE THE ORIGINAL POST, the information about who was licensed to produce Tommy's tricks commercially was true. The situation changed as time progressed. I can't be responsible for people changing their minds. Think about it! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Getting back to the OP ...the props may look good but what really matters is how they handle and how they hold up to real world use. That means doing sleights with the smaller ones, detaching the pompom from the bag and carrying the item around in your coat or case for a few months. That real world time in use sorts the reliable from the meritricious.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, Mad Jake wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, TStone wrote:
Yes, someone made a set: Tommy Wonder himself.
Can't see what business anyone else would have plagiarizing the props, since the act isn't up for grabs.

Check with the Estate. They have given permission to ANYONE to make his props as long as they give credit Tommy for the routine and props. I've made 3 sets, 1 for me and the other 2 for friends.

Mad Jake Jr.

I'm a friend of the estate. Frank got tired of policing pirating in a world that felt alien to him, and as a result he put up that licensing page. It is about rights to Tommy's published work.
I was offered the stage act, including the cups, as a gift, for helping the estate with various matters. Tempting, but I thought it would be better for the estate that Frank sold the act to someone else, so he did. Instead, I got all of Tommy's old notebooks and correspondance.
The stage act isn't published. I'm fairly certain the rights to it is exclusive to the person who bought the whole act.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder cups and balls (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL